Affiliates launching affiliate programs for leads
    Just looking for some opinions on this concept..

Should networks be accepting these types of programs? Affiliates launching their own affiliate program - paying for clicks/leads.

Or should they be classified separately?

I think it's misleading to ask affiliates to sign up for a program where your own merchant cookie can be over-written. I've seen two of these on prominent coupon sites - which means the coupon affiliate may not realize their own merchant cookie will be overwritten.

Perhaps I only have this view as I'm a "normal" affiliate myself.. and these programs share my merchants.

I believe it IS a valid way for non-affiliate publishers to earn a few pennies per click, but I'm not sure it should be listed as a merchant program.

http and a telephoto
    If they are paying per click I would think it's fine, it's of course up to the affiliate to decide of the pennies are worth sending their traffic to somewhere that could overwrite their own cookie.

As with any affiliate program, the affiliate has the final say as to whether they promote the merchant or not. I never did pay per click other than Adsense, and I only did "pay per lead" with a merchant that paid per Nursery catalog that people signed up for, and that was on a pages that were targeted to gardeners and nothing else converted there
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

If I were to start something it would be a per click sort of idea........
    I attract success and abundance into my life because that is who I am.

please don't shot me for mu question.....
    I'm a newbie, still learning and mama told me to ask everything even if it's stupid.
    what dose it mean "cookie can be over-written"??
    thank you.

It's not a stupid question at all

Let's say I'm an affiliate of Target - I show their products/banners on my site. When a reader clicks from my site to Target, the cookie on their computer shows my site as the referral.. eligible for commission.

Let's say I also have a banner to another affiliate (#2), who pays me $.10/click when my readers visits their site..

Instead, my reader goes to affiliate #2... then to Target..

Affiliate #2 gets commission for sales.. and all I get is ten cents for the click. If the reader had my cookie, it was replaced by affiliate #2.

The decision to make here is whether or not you think you can earn commissions...

By accepting pennies for clicks, you're not eligible to receive any commission affiliate #2 earned from your visitor (for stores you both cover).

While there is nothing wrong with PPC models, I've seen two of them listed as merchants, when they're not actually selling anything.

Ahh okay now I understand!

Interesting technique... Thank for the share!

How did you connect with affiliate #2 and trust they you are going to be paid for the $.10/click?

What are you conversions like?

lol well I guess it also depends if you are looking at it from the perspective of an affiliate or a program owner

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by maxbee
    How did you connect with affiliate #2 and trust they you are going to be paid for the $.10/click?

What are you conversions like?
    He didn't start an affiliate program, he is questioning whether other people should be allowed to. There are no stats and conversions to share.

As far as connecting and getting paid, a website would either use inhouse affiliate tracking (not so reliable as far as getting paid if the site isn't a well known brand) or join a network that provides the tracking and pays the affiliates. Just like any other merchant program.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    Just looking for some opinions on this concept..

Should networks be accepting these types of programs? Affiliates launching their own affiliate program - paying for clicks/leads.

Or should they be classified separately?

I think it's misleading to ask affiliates to sign up for a program where your own merchant cookie can be over-written. I've seen two of these on prominent coupon sites - which means the coupon affiliate may not realize their own merchant cookie will be overwritten.

Perhaps I only have this view as I'm a "normal" affiliate myself.. and these programs share my merchants.

I believe it IS a valid way for non-affiliate publishers to earn a few pennies per click, but I'm not sure it should be listed as a merchant program.
    Can you give an example of this? Is this like a coupon site paying per lead for newsletter signups?

I've been starting research on starting an affiliate program where I pay affiliates on a lead basis, and send traffic to specific advertisers in the same field where I get paid on a similar basis, but those advertisers I'd be selling the leads to do not have traditional affiliate programs. That kind of situation happens a lot in the loan/debt market, but I can't say I've seen what you describe often at all aside from toolbar affiliate programs.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread