Jump Starting Your Blog
    In the spirit of Trust's thread on starting from scratch a WordPress blog I have a question. What are the little things we can do to prime the pump with the Search Engines for a new blog?

Used to be a lot of talk about submission to the engines, but now they seem to find it right away with the WP setup. So what else can we do to get the juice started?

I generally try to find a place on one of my own sites to give it a link. Something with related material on a different IP. I'm not sure whether this is good or bad, but I do it.

I think what you are doing is ok? Isn't that called back links? I have a few on similar blogs, like if I comment on something that is applicable when i fill the comment form and it has the url space I always fill it in!?! I have been using twitter alot these days, it seems that I get tons of twitter traffic some days........
    I attract success and abundance into my life because that is who I am.

http and a telephoto
    Submit your RSS feed to directories, use the ping services in your wordpress settings, do guest posts on related blogs that will link back to you, feed your RSS into your social networking profiles.

Those are a few off the top of my head, there are many more great ways to get traffic to a blog and lots of it doesn't rely on whether the current search engines find you or not. Reliance on the current methods of search is lessening. More and more people are using Twitter and Facebook to find sites and information, since that makes it more "word of mouth" and hence in people's minds, more reliable.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Yep what loxly said. some good links in, and with Wordpress it's nice b/c http://pingomatic.com/ is auto installed for you. See "Update Services" in "Settings -> Writing".

That's a world away from sitting and waiting for the search engines and directories to come to you!

Oh, and be sure that "I would like my blog to be visible to everyone, including search engines (like Google, Sphere, Technorati) and archivers" is selected under "Settings -> Privacy"

This may sound obvious, but create your content using phrases that you think people will search for. Be clear & concise, and you have a better chance of being found by a specific search.

Outsourced Program Manager Sarah Bundy's Avatar
    Yup, keyword rich content along with what Loxly said will help you out lots.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary
    it's nice b/c http://pingomatic.com/ is auto installed for you. See "Update Services" in "Settings -> Writing".
    I looked over the codex and it looks like pingomatic is all you need in "Update Services", but it's unclear when it says
    If you do not want the update services to be pinged, remove all the update service URIs listed under "Update Services" on the Options->Writing administration screen of your WordPress installation.
    Which is right just using pingomatic or manually inserting a bunch like technorati also?

I'm still studying other responses. A lot of good info here.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    John, I think Pingomatic hits all the services/sites listed on their homepage automatically. ..."think" being the keyword in that sentence

I have never added any more manually, and I often times see my google alerts hit in 10-20 minutes after posting to various wp blogs. ..so I've been happy with what Pingomatic is doing.

John, you may also want to look at one of the two following SEO plugins for WordPress. "Platinum SEO" and "All In One SEO Pack". I don't really have a preference between the two, but they let you manage title, keywords and description on a page-by-page or post-by-post basis.
    Eric Tyler
    Eric [at] FinancialNetworkPro [dot] com
    [URL=http://financialnetworkpro.com]http://financialnetworkpro.com[/URL]

What loxly and others have said.

* plugins like "share this" I use alot for links from twitter, facebook, technorati etc.
    * put Adsense up (even if I don't intend to leave it in, I put it up for the bots to come. May not be the indexing bot but the Adsense bot, atleast some spidering)
    * put Adwords up (same reason as above)
    * submit to Google ( you already mentioned this)
    * sitemap
    * I don't usually like to link from my other sites, just my personal preference. I like to see how well a site does on its own first and is able to stand on its own feet first so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    I looked over the codex and it looks like pingomatic is all you need in "Update Services", but it's unclear when it says

Which is right just using pingomatic or manually inserting a bunch like technorati also?

I'm still studying other responses. A lot of good info here.
    I have 7 or 8 ping services I put in my Update Services section. If I'm not mistaken, someone on ABW posted a whole list of them a few years ago. It sticks in my mind that it was Trust, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense because didn't he just start his first blog? LOL. I'll search to see if I can find the original post.

At any rate, pingomatic is good on its own, but wouldn't hurt to add more.

Update: It WAS Trust! And my mistake, I think he just started his first WORDPRESS blog. Anywhere, here's the post:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...tic#post552223
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, that was for my blogspot blog, I'm moved up in the world

So I guess with Wordpress, it automatically uses Ping O Matic - http://pingomatic.com/ which will hit all these

Common Services (Check All)

Weblogs.com [link]
    Blo.gs
    Technorati
    Feed Burner
    Syndic8
    NewsGator
    My Yahoo!
    PubSub.com
    Blogdigger
    BlogRolling
    BlogStreet
    Moreover
    Weblogalot
    Icerocket
    News Is Free
    Topic Exchange
    Google Blog Search
    Spinn3r
    Bloglines
    PostRank
    SkyGrid
    Collecta

Are those more blog search engines different from blog directories?

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread