Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    ABW Ambassador writerguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    3,248
    Myth you may have heard about article marketing
    I took one of those cheapy "trial memberships" to a paid membership site recently and ran onto a myth regarding article marketing that they were pushing as part of their training program.

    It was a nifty site with some free software, hours and hours of video about building affiliate websites, gaining traffic, etc.

    And as part of their video training, the said to dominate a variety of niches in their article marketing plan -- you needed to use EzineArticles.com a lot. But the problem was, they said, you need to create "pen names" or alternate names as author of articles for each niche. And, they said, since EzineArticles.com allows only one account and limit you to 5-6 "alternate names" or pen names, you need to, uh, well cheat a little. You need to use separate email addresses and create multiple accounts then use those multiple accounts for even more pen names.

    Two observations:

    1. EzineArticles.com says in its Editorial Guidelines regarding Authors that they allow ONLY ONE ACCOUNT PER HUMAN BEING. They're very clear about that. Cheating the system, therefore, by creating multiple accounts for yourself, would be unethical and totally "black hat." BTW -- this membership site made a big deal throughout their teaching of doing things honestly and ethically.

    2. EzineArticles.com DOES NOT LIMIT the Alternate Names (i.e., pen names) you can use with your account. They DO NOT limit you to "5 or 6" or any other number of pen names. So the unethical, black hat creation of multiple EzineArticle.com accounts is not only wrong, it's unnecessary.

    I got this information by contacting EA's support people via my author account there and asked them specifically. Their representative, Kimberly, told me specifically that yes, you are limited to one account and, no, they do not limit the number of alternate author names you can have for that account.

    So, now get busy and write about a million quality, keyword rich articles for EA and link them in the author's box to your website(s). You can both get rich and do it honestly.
    Generate more fake news.

  2. #2
    .
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,973
    Knowing absolutely nothing about any of this, my assumption is that the "articles company" had a more restrictive policy in the past, but has removed the restrictions, and the course simply hasn't been updated. Another possibility is that the course material was originally written with references to some other "article company," and then the new company was substituted after the first company's reputation became tarnished (or maybe it's a white-label arrangement, where folks are offered the opportunity to buy a white-label article site along with prepared course materials to "sell" to attract traffic to the article site).

    I'd certainly be wary of any advice that encourages "cheating." That's not a good place to start any business relationship.

  3. #3
    More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Land of The NFL Champs!
    Posts
    2,942
    Thanks Gary for this bit of info. I have written 10 EA articles so far but did not know you could use pen names. They are about the only decent article directory out there.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

  4. #4
    ABW Ambassador writerguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    3,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    Thanks Gary for this bit of info. I have written 10 EA articles so far but did not know you could use pen names. They are about the only decent article directory out there.
    Yeah, I just finally got my 10 initial articles written there -- and I'm actually seeing a little trickle of traffic from a couple of those articles.

    I only brought this subject up because I'm aware of how huge EzineArticles.com really is, and I hate it when some "gurus" come along and intentionally teach violation of EA's terms.

    Yes, it's a handy feature, being able to use "alternate authors" on an account. That can be either real people who you work with publishing articles there, or it can be a pen name. Handy feature if you, for example, want your real name identified with camping and outdoor living, but also you write articles about baby strollers and baby toys, and want a different "pen name" associated with baby strollers and baby toys articles.
    Generate more fake news.

  5. #5
    ABW Ambassador writerguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    3,248
    Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    Knowing absolutely nothing about any of this, my assumption is that the "articles company" had a more restrictive policy in the past, but has removed the restrictions, and the course simply hasn't been updated. Another possibility is that the course material was originally written with references to some other "article company," and then the new company was substituted after the first company's reputation became tarnished (or maybe it's a white-label arrangement, where folks are offered the opportunity to buy a white-label article site along with prepared course materials to "sell" to attract traffic to the article site).

    I'd certainly be wary of any advice that encourages "cheating." That's not a good place to start any business relationship.
    No, actually, the instructional material was specifically written about the specific article directory EzineArticles.com. They were clearly just teaching their "students" to cheat the system.

    You should take a look at EzineArticles.com (that's also their domain name ), as you might want at some point to incorporate so-called "article marketing" in your business. EA is the biggest, best, most trusted "authority site" for article marketing. They have something like 200,000 "expert authors" (some much better writers than others, of course) and I would guess something around 1,000,000 articles. The principle behind using the site is that you're allowed an "Author's box" at the end of an article with 2 links back to your website.

    Many people looking for articles will pick them up from EA (for free). The rules are that they must leave your Author's box on the article, giving you a link back to your site/page/whatever.

    Of course there are a lot of people who cheat the system as authors and users, i.e., they plagiarize your article and strip off the attribution and Author's box. But, still, it's the biggest and most reputable site of its kind and worth using if you do much online writing at all.
    Generate more fake news.

  6. #6
    ABW Ambassador JoyUnltd's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2005
    Location
    Emerald City
    Posts
    2,019
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Many people looking for articles will pick them up from EA (for free). The rules are that they must leave your Author's box on the article, giving you a link back to your site/page/whatever.
    I pulled the few articles I had there, I found tons of black hat/spam sites (usually Wordpress MU or Adsense crapola) running my articles without the author bio/link or using the link to send a reader to another one of their own sites.

    I contacted EA & they told me it was my problem. I would have to contact webmasters, ISPs, etc., hire lawyers...ya gotta be kidding me. Not worth it.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

  7. #7
    ABW Ambassador writerguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    3,248
    Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd
    I pulled the few articles I had there, I found tons of black hat/spam sites (usually Wordpress MU or Adsense crapola) running my articles without the author bio/link or using the link to send a reader to another one of their own sites.

    I contacted EA & they told me it was my problem. I would have to contact webmasters, ISPs, etc., hire lawyers...ya gotta be kidding me. Not worth it.
    Wow. That's terrible. I've never had a problem like that, to my knowledge.

    On the other hand, I haven't given them much yet. I only have 10 articles on the site. Actually, that's only eight because two were linked to websites I no longer have running, so I deleted the two articles linked to those sites.

    But, yeah, I know there are a lot of people who cheat the system.

    I guess what prompted me to write this thread was the membership site I had the test run with so blatantly training their "students" to cheat the system, based on the site owners' ignorance of what the EA rules actually were. So they not only were violating the "quality and honesty" standards they were supposedly teaching -- they were doing so based on erroneous reasons.
    Generate more fake news.

  8. #8
    Full Member snappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2009
    Location
    Palm Bay Florida/Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    387
    WOWO thanks a million for that info!!!! Myth------Busted!!
    And possibly this info will save ppl losing their accounts once they found out they had millions of different accounts......good investigating....Thank you
    I attract success and abundance into my life because that is who I am.

  9. #9
    ABW Ambassador Joshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    854
    You have got to be kidding me - Opening up multiple accounts at an article site is "black-hat"? When Facebook first started their ad system (for the first week or so), they limited accounts to $50 a day spend - Was it "black-hat" of me to open 50 accounts so that I could spend real money, even though their terms said only one account was allowed per real person, or was it a smart business move?

    There's a difference between breaking a minor TOS rule and "black-hat" unethical behavior. As you stated, EzineArticles doesn't limit pen names, so the suggestion of opening up multiple accounts doesn't apply anymore. Opening multiple accounts doesn't cheat any system, so therefore I see no ethical problems. The site of which you took a "trial membership" to has nothing to gain by you opening multiple accounts, and frankly, EzineArticles really loses nothing by having someone open multiple accounts. There is no cheating of any system going on here, from what I can read.

    Time spent worrying about the absolute ethics of something this minor isn't very productive - I could easily argue that publishing any articles under multiple pen names, rather than using one name for all of your articles is unethical in terms of tricking the readers and search engines in to thinking that articles were written by different, independent sources...

  10. #10
    Member Anat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 11th, 2005
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd
    I pulled the few articles I had there, I found tons of black hat/spam sites (usually Wordpress MU or Adsense crapola) running my articles without the author bio/link or using the link to send a reader to another one of their own sites.

    I contacted EA & they told me it was my problem. I would have to contact webmasters, ISPs, etc., hire lawyers...ya gotta be kidding me. Not worth it.
    Same here. I stopped submitting articles - more often than not they ended up being posted on scrapers' sites with zero links back.

  11. #11
    ABW Ambassador writerguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    3,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    You have got to be kidding me - Opening up multiple accounts at an article site is "black-hat"? When Facebook first started their ad system (for the first week or so), they limited accounts to $50 a day spend - Was it "black-hat" of me to open 50 accounts so that I could spend real money, even though their terms said only one account was allowed per real person, or was it a smart business move?
    I wouldn't know whether that was "black hat." I don't know whether their terms prohibited multiple accounts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    There's a difference between breaking a minor TOS rule and "black-hat" unethical behavior. As you stated, EzineArticles doesn't limit pen names, so the suggestion of opening up multiple accounts doesn't apply anymore. Opening multiple accounts doesn't cheat any system, so therefore I see no ethical problems.
    Perhaps the term "black hat" isn't really the issue I was trying to get at.

    In fact, "minor TOS rule" is not at issue either. In the mind (minds? ) of EA, the rule is serious enough that it carries the threat of having your accounts closed and articles removed if discovered.

    It really is a matter of ethical behavior. Regardless of how the site might be used, misused, or whatever -- their author account rule says one account per "human being" and any more than that makes you subject to having your account terminated.

    That's pretty straightforward.


    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    The site of which you took a "trial membership" to has nothing to gain by you opening multiple accounts, and frankly, EzineArticles really loses nothing by having someone open multiple accounts. There is no cheating of any system going on here, from what I can read.
    No cheating of any system going on? What would you call it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    Time spent worrying about the absolute ethics of something this minor isn't very productive - I could easily argue that publishing any articles under multiple pen names, rather than using one name for all of your articles is unethical in terms of tricking the readers and search engines in to thinking that articles were written by different, independent sources...
    You could argue that about using pen names, but it still is a permissible use of the EA site and doesn't violate their terms. If you chose not to use pen names because you felt they were deceptive, you would be perfectly free to do that, also.

    I don't think teaching marketing methods that clearly violate a site's requirements is ethical. We can argue about the term "black hat" and whether that's it or not. All the stuff about "white," "gray," or "black" hats is odd anyway.

    Consider this: Haiko has specific "rules and regulations" here at ABW. If you violate them, he may be gracious enough to give you a warning. Or, at his discretion, he may simply ban you or remove privileges, or whatever consequences the violation calls for.

    If you chose to intentionally violate forum rules, would that be wrong? I would say it would.

    If you didn't like Haiko's rules and requirements, you would be perfectly free to tell him so, and you would also be free to not come here over the matter.

    Likewise, anyone who wishes is perfectly free NOT to use EA. But if you decide to use EA, you are simply being dishonest if you try to "cheat" their guidelines. Teaching others (as this membership site is/was/may still be?) to cheat their guidelines is simply wrong.
    Generate more fake news.

  12. #12
    Newbie
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Posts
    1,537
    Never put your articles on an Article distribution site ... you lose all control.

    Write your own articles or pay for them ... you own the copyright if you write them
    and when you buy them, you HAVE to insist on getting the copyright when you pay.
    Make sure you have a contract with the writer that say so EXPLICITEDLY.

    You will not get much back traffic unless you have a huge number of articles spinning thru the blogosphere. And the only people who will benefit from your articles are other people, NOT you.

    Here's how to do it the money-making way: Write a 300 to 500 word article about a topic. Make sure you have a paragraph about YOU the author somewhere at the end which outlines why people should take what you put out as worth reading.

    Put each article on a separate domain or a separate page on your site. If you are an Adsense affiliate put at least ONE Adsense bannner on that page. Try to keep the page as clean as possible, without a bunch of banners or other distractions ... The artcle needs to FOCUS on what keywords or niche you wish to monetize.

    Never give anyone who reads your article more than 4 choices as to where to go from there. Adsense would be one ...a product or merchant link you are affiliated with is two. If you can get a CPM deal for a banner, that is three. The FOURTH is a link to your main webpage or another article site. The back button is the fifth option people have.

    Now if you have a CPM deal you get credit for the impression, if that same CPM deal is on you main page or other article page, you get credit for extra impressions from one reader. If the reader clicks an Adsense link, you make a some money. If they click the product or merchant link, you have the chance of a commission. If the conversion rate is 2%, you get 20 sales for every 1,000 readers.

    Pick a second or third tier PPC search engine ... when you put the article up BUY some run of the network traffic. You can get it for a penny. $10 will get you 1,000 readers for that article. You should at least make that back from Adsense clicks and CPM, since it is ALL search engine derived traffic.

    But it will also seed your in RSS if you use a blog. You can get some Twitter followers if you go that route. Then everytime you post a new article Tweet them about it.

    You will get good Google love with each new article. Once you have the first article and niche staked out ... add a new article every 10 days. That will keep you in the Google love loop.

    Google will take notice of the traffic and the content and your site will move up. Yahoo and MSN will pick you up ... your readers will grow. And so will your income.

    You will be surprised how much money you can make with this set up. Way more than you can ever make having the world post your articles for a trickle of traffic. Try it and see for yourself.

  13. #13
    ABW Ambassador ladidah's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 15th, 2007
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    1,888
    Quote Originally Posted by net4biz
    Put each article on a separate domain or a separate page on your site.
    Hmmm... this is the same as posting regular content on your site whether it is in "article" format, "blog", "informational", "content" format.

    Putting in Adsense, ads for CPM, linking to another post, linking to 1 merchant, tweeting, etc. That is what I already do for my regular site.

    The only difference is perhaps you are you suggesting that people are then allowed to use your article from your own site, with a link back then? This way boosting your own domain up instead of the article distribution site. Is that so?

  14. #14
    ABW Ambassador writerguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    3,248
    Quote Originally Posted by net4biz
    You will get good Google love with each new article. Once you have the first article and niche staked out ... add a new article every 10 days. That will keep you in the Google love loop.

    Google will take notice of the traffic and the content and your site will move up. Yahoo and MSN will pick you up ... your readers will grow. And so will your income.

    You will be surprised how much money you can make with this set up. Way more than you can ever make having the world post your articles for a trickle of traffic. Try it and see for yourself.
    Thanks, net4biz, for sharing that article marketing insight. I'm always eager to try anything new to monetize my writing skills and blogs. Sounds like a good plan to try.

    Gotta add. I don't always understand or agree with what you come up with , which probably means you're better at thinking outside the box than I! But I always appreciate having your viewpoint to bounce around in the old brain!
    Generate more fake news.

  15. #15
    Newbie
    Join Date
    September 19th, 2005
    Posts
    8
    Boy, it seems article marketing is getting a fair bit of attention here at ABW right now, and since that's one of my primary promotional techniques I hope I can add some food for thought to the discussion.

    As I pointed out in another thread a few days ago, I create and publish articles for the potential customers they can bring me over time--any backlinks or SEO benefits from the articles is just a bonus in my mind. The traffic may not be high volume, maybe 3 to 10 visitors per month from an article, but those are highly qualified visitors who have read your story and clicked your link for more.

    Sure, you lose control of your article once it's out there, and some scraper sites may republish your writings and profit from them without any links or benefit to you. But, is that worth walking away from the opportunity to get yourself and your message out in front of real potential customers/clients?

    Article directories have human traffic, especially the bigger and community based ones, and among that human traffic are potential customers who may not otherwise ever hear of my site(s).

    eZine and newsletter publishers often use articles from article directories to fill out their mailings as well, and they tend to include source links because they have a reputation with their community to uphold, so that's another group of potential customers your article may reach.

    If I can freely step in front of that human traffic by publishing an article, then I ultimately don't care if some idiot scrapes my articles and makes a few nickels off of AdSense with it on their own site without crediting me as the source.

    The bottom line is I want customers from my articles, not credit as the author. I guess if I was a writer I'd feel differently, but I'm not, I'm a retailer and an affiliate marketer, so the only thing that matters to me is does article publishing bring qualified customers to my sites or not.

    I gave an example in another thread that's valid here too. One of my sites is Halloween related, and I published an article last year to promote it. Now, a whole year later, that article sent 19 visitors to my site last month (Aug.) and 2 of them made purchases.

    Ignoring the customers and sales that article sent to my site last year when it was new, those 2 purchases in Aug. alone were worth more to me than any concerns about scrapers getting penny clicks off my article without giving me credit, and I know by the middle of next month (Oct.) that article will have sent me a bunch more traffic and likely several more sales too.

    Anyway, that's my take on article marketing, it isn't about the articles, protecting my content or even the SEO benefits to me, article marketing is about being able to freely access venues (article directories, eZines, Newsletters and other communities) and step in front of real potential customers with my marketing message.

  16. #16
    Member BrettSaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 29th, 2009
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    158
    I have to agree, "black hat" (note the scare quotes) or not, I think it's unethical, particularly as part of a supposed "teaching site", to intentionally instruct people on how to skirt a website's rules. Whether you agree with the rules, whether you think they're major or minor terms of service, they are the rules that those in charge of the site has put in place. If you choose to defy those rules yourself, that's on you. To teach others to do it is just rude to that site. If you don't like EzineArticles' TOS, then move on to the next site.

  17. #17
    The Seal of Aproval rematt's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 19th, 2006
    Location
    The Windy City
    Posts
    4,140
    There are times when we have to ask the question whether something is unethical or not, and sometime those threads are some of the longest at ABW as everyone chimes in with their opinion. Often times "ethical" is a gray area and open to debate. However, I think we can all agree that when we enter an agreement, like a merchant's or a sites terms of service we are pledging to abide by that agreement. There is no gray area when we knowingly violate the terms of that agreement, we have clearly crossed the line of ethical behavior. And the argument that breaking a "minor TOS rule" could be construed as a "smart business move" is absolutely ludicrous. Even a small breach of ethics is a breach of ethics.

    For any site to advocate violating the terms of another site under the guise of "training" is reprehensible.

    -rematt
    Last edited by rematt; September 10th, 2009 at 01:23 PM.
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

  18. #18
    ABW Ambassador JoyUnltd's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2005
    Location
    Emerald City
    Posts
    2,019
    Quote Originally Posted by net4biz
    ...But it will also seed your in RSS if you use a blog. You can get some Twitter followers if you go that route. Then everytime you post a new article Tweet them about it.

    You will get good Google love with each new article. Once you have the first article and niche staked out ... add a new article every 10 days. That will keep you in the Google love loop.

    Google will take notice of the traffic and the content and your site will move up. Yahoo and MSN will pick you up ... your readers will grow. And so will your income.
    Da, da, da doh...thanx net4biz for your easy, manageable, golden tips!
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

  19. #19
    Newbie
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Posts
    1,537
    Writing a new article is definitely similar to adding new content to your website. But it is 'separate' new content targetted to both a specific niche, readers and keywords ... and that makes useful. Your site can be about one thing and you articles can be about other things ... so you get more coverage from Goofle and one site with multiple articles on many things can cover a bunch of niches. As long as the articles are NEW and you do not spam the keywords to death AND you have some readers read them, then Goofle will like you.

  20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: May 2nd, 2008, 10:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •