How to monetize a political song?
    Hi, I've just been recording an original song which deals with some current events issues. I'm sure hoping it will have some amount of viral circulation.
    I'm wondering how to monetize it.

Off the top of my head, I could stream it from a page on one of my sites, and put adsense around it. I can also add images and make a video. I'm not sure if YouTube is good for business or not, since I'm not a YouTube partner as of now. Perhaps the link to my site I can add to YouTube is worth it?

As for affiliate links, I'm not sure what would work. People would probably not be interested in music links such as iTunes, since they came for the political message in all probability. I think I should iTune link to some of my published music though. Or iTunes songs that deal with the same issues.

To monetize political surfers, any ideas? Are the reds and blues running affiliate programs - lol?

I want to avoid giving too many options, as that tends to make people go away. I need to decide the MDA - most desired action. Is up to three choices reasonable (adsense, iTunes and affiliate something)? Or is even that too much?

So in short, lets say you have a potential hit song that will resonate with lots of folks and garner a good amount of hits. How would you manage its release to properly monetize it?

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    I think you are jumping the gun a bit on thinking monetizing it should be your main goal.

There are stories about videos, songs, and pictures going viral. Some are silly like that wedding entrance, the squirrel picture, or some things like the Obama joker poster. But these are VERY rare and happen a few times a month out of the trillions of pieces of content that is produced every year.

I think your main goal should be to get as many people as possible to listen to it or view the video. I would want to hear what people say and then I would try to build on any buzz created to get people to my Twitter page, blog, or website. You are not going to make a lot of money on this. Not unless you are Nine Inch Nails and have a full album of great stuff and the notoriety to make money with it.

I would put it on Youtube, make a channel, customize it, and make sure you like the way it looks. Check on the comments occasionally and you can even put adsense on the page but Google pays very little.

http://mashable.com/2009/08/04/youtube-revenue-sharing/

Good Luck

PS I did a lot of political blogging last year and have hundreds of thousands of views. Made very little, didn't pay for my hosting and domain.

Thanks for the cold water :-)

In truth, I'm not expecting millions of views, but I would expect dozens and hundreds. Even my lower pages still cover their hosting.

Of course artistic creation is not done with money in mind, but earning from it encourages more artistic creation and so forth. Rewards for bringing good things into the world bring more good things, etcetera.

I am simply trying to understand how to channel this traffic that may grow or disppear or whatever, to see if I have a good niche here. How do people decide what to do next on the web page or Youtube or the blog. How to give them something to interest them and improve their experience.

I could always add the donation button, and probably will. But I'd rather have a good sense for how to identify what people want to do after or as-a-result of my page, and do this in a way that earns money.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Ya I didnt mean to throw cold water all over it. Just dont want you spending hundreds or hours of time expecting a payday.

The industry average on random traffic is what is called $.20 CPM. Which mean for every 1000 views people get paid on average 20 cents. That is click off to Google ads or something.

I would do it if you like it and it is a resume builder or experiment.

Donation buttons are not really a way to make money either. I was just listening to a podcast and the designers of the Sociable plugin for Wordpress for every 100,000 downloads he gets 4 or 5 donations, truthfully.

I might make a good Youtube channel to get traffic, possibly fans, and possibly gigs if that is what you want to do.

But you probably need to enjoy doing it for the sake of doing it.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread