Google Affiliate Network Rep Google Affiliate Network Moderator's Avatar
    Hearst Ranch Beef launches with Google Affiliate Network
    Google Affiliate Network is excited to announce the Hearst Ranch Beef affiliate program!

Program Highlights:
    20% commission
    Commission duration 30 Days
    BYOL available

Hearst Ranch is the nation's largest supplier of free-range, all-natural, Grass-fed and Grass-finished beef.

Since 1865, the Hearst family has raised cattle on the rich sustainable native grasslands of the Central California coast. Hearst Cattle are grass-fed and grass-finished and humanely raised. Our animals are not given growth hormones or antibiotics, ever. Grass-fed beef is delicious and healthy to eat!
    Now we are offering you and your users to try Hearst Ranch's Grass Fed Beef.

Hearst Ranch offers a wide range of products; aged steaks, hamburgers & hotdogs, sauces and olive oils. You can even get a glimpse of ranch living by visting our store for Ranchwear and Gear.
    CURRENT PROMOTIONS:

- Use Promo Code: FREESHIP09 & Get Free Shipping on Orders over $74.
    - Use Promo Code: FLATIRON19 & Save $19 on Tender Flat Iron Steaks.
    - Use Promo Code: FREEBURGER & Get 12 Free Burgers with your Order.
    - Use Promo Code: RIBEYE25 & Get 25% Off on Grass-Fed Ribeye Steaks.
    - Use Promo Code: FILET30 & Get 30% Off on Finest Filet Mignon Steaks.
    - Use Promo Code: NEWYORK30 & Save 30% on Deluxe New York Strip Steaks.

Join the Hearst Ranch Beef affiliate program

There is only one problem ... THERE ARE NO SLAUGHTERHOUSES in Central California as far as I know. They all went out of business or were bought by Cargill or Iowa Beef.

And all this so-called ORGANIC beef needs to be customed slaughtered to be kept separate from the run of the mill 'feed lot' beef. And unless you really know your beef you can't tell an organic piece of beef from any other. They do taste different though. Plus, the USDA GRADE system is based on marbling and since Range raised cattle have less fat, the normal USDA grades are modified because if they didn't do that the beef would all grade out SELECT.

The retail price is usually double the cost of ordinary USDA Choice beef. But the REAL costs to raise the ogranic cattle are less in terms of money, but more in terms of time. The custom slaughtering does cost more but not that much more.

'Hearst Ranch is the nation's largest supplier of free-range, all-natural, Grass-fed and Grass-finished beef.' This statement is BS ... Niman Ranch is way larger.

'Our animals are not given growth hormones or antibiotics, ever.' More BS ... no growth hormones YES ... Antibiotics NEVER is a lie ... If you don't use antibiotics when they are called for you will be out of business in a heartbeat ... you could lose your whole herd.

Cattle get sick, the get infections from fighting caused wounds, getting cuts and from ticks and other blood sucking vermin, bacterial infections and such. Same as people.
    To say you never use antibiotics is just pure BS.

This whole organic cattle BS is a big joke on the consumer. I know, I was up to my eyeballs in cows for 10 years exporting US cattle and beef, all over the world.

Here's one for you: Organic beef hamburger ... the beef is organic but the fat they mix to get the blend is from ordinary feed lot cattle. For one reason, Grass fed cows have much less fat on the carcass. There is NOT enough carcass fat to make a hamburger that does not tastes like cardboard if you just used the so-called organic beef.

If you make 20% commission, the consumer is being ripped off to the max.

Hi,

I have sent your message to the client.

Thank you,

Jamie

A word from Hearst Ranch Beef
    I found this post through my Google Alerts and I wanted to reply to Net4Biz's post myself in a timely fashion: I took the liberty of registering for the forum to do so and I hope this isn't a problem.

Thanks for your response to the original post Net4Biz. I am happy to clarify a few points that you raised for the other affiliates that might be interested in our program.

1. We use a couple of different slaughter houses in Central California. Small plants still exist but there are not too many of them remaining.

2. Our beef is not organic, nor do we make that claim. We are a sustainable agricultural operation raising free-range, grass-fed beef according to the Certified Humane Standards as set forth by Humane Farm Animal Care.

3. When we process our cattle, we are the first ones in the plant for the day, or the only cattle killed in the plant for the day. We have a custom cut specification for our cattle. The plant charges us for this work and they keep the drop (the skulls, hide, bones, and other viscera) as an offset. We have a great relationship with them and they do high quality work for us.

4. The organic standard focuses solely on the feed and the other inputs (hormones, antibiotics, etc) that are used in producing the cattle. Our program is Certified Grass-fed by Food Alliance: our cattle are raised solely on grass, they are not administered growth hormones and they fall out of our beef program if we have to treat them with anti-biotics. We take care of our animals and we treat them if they get sick, but we don't sell them as Hearst Ranch Beef if they have been treated.

5. We are free-range producers, and our cattle live their lives as free-range foragers. The ranch is essentially a salad bar for them: they can eat the types of grasses that they need and pass on what they don't want. As a result, they are not crowded or cramped, and this makes them much less likely to vector diseases or maladies of any sort. They are healthy from their diet and regular exercise so they are less prone to get sick. Also, as a result of their diet and their exercise, they do not get as fat, so our beef has less calories than fattier, conventionally produced beef.

6. The grass diet also makes the meat taste different. It has a more herbaceous flavor profile and it tastes distinctly like our ranch. Wine lovers talk a great deal about terroir, the fact that the soil, environmental factors, weather patterns, microclimate, grape variety, time of harvest, and degree of ripeness all work together to make a wine great. In our production environment, the cattle eat the terroir, which led one food critic to call Hearst Ranch Beef "the ultimate expression of the terroir of California."

7. As I mentioned, our cattle are leaner than conventionally raised beef. Therefore they would tend to grade out at select or choice. It is important to note that the USDA grade standards were designed to "educate" consumers to want to buy fattier meat. As an old-time rancher once said "You used to be able to cut the fat off your steak and leave it on the plate, then they convinced everybody that the fat was good, and the fed the cattle grain so the fat was inside the meat and they called it marbling."

8. In terms of the cost of producing beef, I will offer some clarity. In a feedlot, on grain, cattle can go from 550# to 1300# is less than a year. In our production environment, where cattle must eat 4% of their body weight in grass per day to gain weight, they will end up at 1000-1100 pounds in the same time depending on the grass conditions. Grass-fed production is much less efficient and that is why there are not many people doing it.

The cost of producing conventional beef and organic beef in a feedlot is a factor of the prices for both petroleum and grains since the cattle eat the grain in the feedlot, and it takes good deal of petroleum to produce the grain. Since grain is heavily subsidized, and is often sold for less than it costs to produce it per bushel, conventional beef is relatively cheap: if grain was not subsidized it would be much more expensive.

Our production depends on grass, land, sun light, water, soil, and photosynthesis. We run way fewer numbers on our ranches that we would if we had a feedlot. It is expensive to produce our beef, but the beef is healthier than conventional beef, and it tastes great.

Last summer, when corn cost $6/bushel and diesel cost $5/gallon, the cost of gains (the cost to put one pound of beef on an animal) in the feed was lot close to our cost of gains.

9. Regarding your comment comparing us to Niman Ranch, Niman ranch is a feedlot natural beef program. Their cattle are neither grass-fed, grass-finished nor free-range.

10. I addressed the following quote above: 'Our animals are not given growth hormones or antibiotics, ever.' More BS ... no growth hormones YES ... Antibiotics NEVER is a lie ... If you don't use antibiotics when they are called for you will be out of business in a heartbeat ... you could lose your whole herd."

If you are feeding cattle in confinement, you could have a large outbreak that can vector very quickly, but when you are raising your cattle in a free-range system, they move in much smaller groups and are much less likely to get sick and to vector their illnesses. When we treat cattle with antibiotics or hormones, we sell them live at one of the local livestock markets. They never end up in our beef program.

11. Regarding our ground beef: we grind chuck and brisket for our ground beef, it comes out at about 80-20 (lean-to-fat) and it is clean and delicious. If you cook our beef according to the instruction that come with your order or on our website, it will not taste like cardboard.

12. Regarding your final comment, "If you make 20% commission, the consumer is being ripped off to the max," I can only say that we have a good many customers who are delighted with our product.

I forgot to sign my post, sorry
    Sincerely,

Brian J. Kenny
    Division Manager, Hearst Ranch Beef

Outsourced Program Manager tmartini's Avatar
    Welcome to ABW Brian and thanks for all the info on Hearst Ranch Beef!

You might want to think about opening a separate program at another affiliate network (i.e. ShareASale) as a number of affiliates are less likely to work with GAN merchants these days. I know I'd add you ASAP if your program was at SAS.

Take care...

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Digital Marketing Manager
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Brian ... Thank you for your response ...Very good information that clarifies your claims. This information is what the consumer needs not the hype and spin.

Your point about expenses is a function of scale not the individual cattle. It costs approximately the same amount of money to get any cow 'feed lot ready.' Plus the fact you use NO Hormones (something I applaud) might even make your costs less.

Supplemental feeding lets you run more head per acre so 'grass fed range' cattle production is less efficient. You have a pretty good range if you can gain weight at an equal rate or close to it as you can using a feed lot.

If you grind the chuck and the brisket and use NO added fat, that is great ... Natural Hamburger, if you will, deserves a premium. I was always trying to get producers to cut their beef in a way that you harvested the best cuts and ground the lower priced cuts into a natural hamburger ... which you could sell at a premium if you marketed it as such.

Claims about ranch size are irrelevant ... who cares who is larger. Who sells the the better beef is more important. As for price: If you are selling direct at retail, 80/20 Natural Hamburger should retail in the $3.50/lb range and the better cuts should retail between $6 to $7/lb range. That should generate around a $1,000 profit per cow.

At those prices, consumers would get a great bargain, high quality and in a short time you would sell all the cattle you could raise. You would have a REAL CASH COW operation, but growth would be slow because the range only can raise so many cows under that form of operation.

Thanks for the reply.

Additional clarification
    Net4Biz, thank you for your continued interest in our program. Without going into too much financial detail or cost accounting, I think it is best to say that the reality of the grass-fed beef business is a great deal more complicated than it appears from the outside. There are a large number of costs associated our business: managing ranches, raising cattle, transporting cattle, harvesting cattle, transporting beef, cutting steaks, packaging steaks, cold storage, order fulfillment, web development, insurance.... (the list goes on for a bit)

On one hand, the price for commercial cattle is not an indicator of the break-even level, let alone what it takes for a rancher to actually make money. On the other hand, you have the staggering fact that the average net revenue per head of beef killed by the industry in 2008 was roughly equal to the average drop value (hide, bones, offal, skull, etc.). In short, ranchers are in the asset preservation business and the beef business is still based on the hide-and-tallow economy.

We were honored by the California Beef Cattle Improvement Association as Commercial Producer of the Year in 2008.

I hope this helps,

Brian J. Kenny

Hi, Brian. Welcome to ABW, it's good to have you here.

Interesting program and one I may be able to use as I further develop a Gourmet Kitchen site. Any chance you will open on another network, such as ShareASale or Buy.at?
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Thank you for responding Brian. Welcome to the network and forum!

Jamie

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Brian, great to have you aboard. As a big dumb farm-boy at heart my family raised Angus and I milked Holsteins for three years in high-school. Thanks for standing up to scrutiny, it goes a long way around here.

Good response to the questions. Some people are experts at every business they're not in.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I was wondering how long it'd be until Coley showed up. What steak thread is compete without Michael?
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Thanks for the welcome
    Thank you for welcoming me to the forum tmartini, Chuck Hamrick, MichaelColey, knight01. I am very new to the whole affiliate world. I am not sure what other affiliate networks we are going to work with and I am completely open to your suggestions.

I am a spreadsheet cowboy these days, and I find myself trying to build an online market for our grass-fed beef.

What would make this program perfect for you folks?

Let's start there and work backwards.

Thanks in advance for your comments,

Brian

Actually, most of what you need to learn is located in the various forums here. Try these to get a good foundation, then ask as questions come to mind.

http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=412
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Hello Brian,

Starting with one network is a great start. Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions. My support team is here to assist you and your OPM.

Thank you,

Jamie Ross
    jamier[at]google.com

Outsourced Program Manager tmartini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hearstranchbeef
    Thank you for welcoming me to the forum tmartini, Chuck Hamrick, MichaelColey, knight01. I am very new to the whole affiliate world. I am not sure what other affiliate networks we are going to work with and I am completely open to your suggestions.

I am a spreadsheet cowboy these days, and I find myself trying to build an online market for our grass-fed beef.

What would make this program perfect for you folks?

Let's start there and work backwards.

Thanks in advance for your comments,

Brian
    Hey Brian,

Just my two cents, but for me to add you to Alex's Coupons you'd need to be at either ShareASale (Most trusted network IMHO), Avantlink (2nd most trusted network IMHO) or Commission Junction (they're the largest, so I have to work with them). For unknown reasons I've seen a huge downturn in sales/commissions at GAN, so I'm no longer adding their new merchants to my site.

Good luck with the program!

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Digital Marketing Manager
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Hey Brian ...It is not easy being a rancher and making a profit ... for sure, the cost counter never seems to stop and everyone is trying to step on any profits you can muster ... and cattle must eat and have clean water to drink everyday.

You reponses are very much appreciated.

Affiliate Networks
    Todd,

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure which systems we are using for this affiliate program because it is being run by a marketing company. I will check with them to see which systems we will be using.

Hopefully we can work with you.

Best,

Brian

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread