Outsourced Program Manager tmartini's Avatar
    Mystery Domain pointing at Alex's Coupons
    Hey Guys,

Some unknown person is pointing coupongoodness dot com (which is not registered to me) to my domain alexscoupons.com without my permission. I'm working with my hosting company to block it, but I was wondering if anybody else had ever run into something like this.

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Digital Marketing Manager
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

15 years and counting
    and why do they hide behind Domains by Proxy?
    Even if it seems OK to get free traffic, I think you're right to worry about this domain name redirection on the DNS level.
    It seems the IP belongs to Rackspace, you can try to contact abuse [at] rackspace.com

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Yeah, you need to shut this down in a hurry or face a possible dupe content penalty.
    I am struggling to understand why anyone would do this? Did they switch out all the affiliate links? And they would not get any significant traffic on their own. I suppose they could bring in traffic via PPC. While you work on shutting this down, make sure to report it to every affiliate network involved. Folks like this need to be kicked out with the door locked and padlocked behind them.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

You should be able to fairly easily block it (or even redirect all traffic from that domain to a single page on your site - where you can explain) in your .htaccess file.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    The other thought that comes to mind here is someone wanted to "help" you by redirecting a domain. I looked at one of the affiliate links and it appears to be unchanged. I guess what does not fit in to that scenario is the use of domain by proxy.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Just a thought maybe its the competition trying to get you a dupe content penalty or something like that. Don't see how that would be done but its the first thing that popped into my head.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    and why do they hide behind Domains by Proxy?
    Even if it seems OK to get free traffic, I think you're right to worry about this domain name redirection on the DNS level.
    It seems the IP belongs to Rackspace, you can try to contact abuse [at] rackspace.com
    Hey Zeus.

Actually the IP address is valid (it's my IP address for alexscoupons.com). They're pointing their domain name at my IP address.

I don't really know what they're hoping to accomplish. Maybe they're trying to use my site's content to get into the Google index. (So far only the front page is there.) Then once they're established in Google, they'll switch over to whatever piece of crap link farm they've created.

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by tmartini
    Hey Zeus.

Actually the IP address is valid (it's my IP address for alexscoupons.com). They're pointing their domain name at my IP address.

I don't really know what they're hoping to accomplish. Maybe they're trying to use my site's content to get into the Google index. (So far only the front page is there.) Then once they're established in Google, they'll switch over to whatever piece of crap link farm they've created.

-- Todd
    Doubtful - Having another domain parked over your main domain shouldn't result in a duplicate content penalty, since Google will see it as the exact same site. I've had sites where I've had slight variations parked on the same domain (yes, I'd recommend 301ing now, but these have been like this for a while), and Google doesn't seem to care about the second domain being there.

Quote Originally Posted by tmartini
    Maybe they're trying to use my site's content to get into the Google index. (So far only the front page is there.) Then once they're established in Google, they'll switch over to whatever piece of crap link farm they've created.

-- Todd
    That's pretty close. I'll get in trouble if I describe what is probably happening so suffice it to say that you want to block it with .htaccess like MC said or if it is on IIS search the help for how to "grant access to everyone except".

It has nothing to do with duplicate content and will not incur a penalty in your SERPs.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    Doubtful - Having another domain parked over your main domain shouldn't result in a duplicate content penalty, since Google will see it as the exact same site. I've had sites where I've had slight variations parked on the same domain (yes, I'd recommend 301ing now, but these have been like this for a while), and Google doesn't seem to care about the second domain being there.
    Well Google did index the rogue domain name with my front page's content, so it's definitely possible that it was their intent to get the domain name into the Google index and then swap in their real site. Anyway I blocked their domain via the vhost.conf, so they're toast now.
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

May I ask how you discovered this in the first place?

I see it returns a 403 right now but unfortunately I see that Google has already indexed that site with your content in it. Although it is toast now, you may still see a decline in traffic due to this. I would also file a complaint with Google just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by ladidah
    May I ask how you discovered this in the first place?

I see it returns a 403 right now but unfortunately I see that Google has already indexed that site with your content in it. Although it is toast now, you may still see a decline in traffic due to this. I would also file a complaint with Google just in case.
    The domain name showed up as a referrer in my traffic reports.

Only the front page made it into the index so I'm not too worried. Not sure if contacting google would help much but I did contact the domain registrar (godaddy) and they claimed there's nothing they can do.
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Todd you know me I am always thinking, why they would do this is beyond me except if it was a competition thing. What if that new domain started to link to all bad neighborhoods. Google might think it was you and penalize you?
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny O'Hare
    Todd you know me I am always thinking, why they would do this is beyond me except if it was a competition thing. What if that new domain started to link to all bad neighborhoods. Google might think it was you and penalize you?
    Hey Vinny,

It's possible but I hate to think that some disreputable competitor is trying to discredit plus it doesn't make a lot of sense. We don't have very good rankings right now to begin with.

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

I had this happen to me recently. I leased a new computer and my host re-used static IP addresses from someone else who canceled their hosting account. The DNS records from the previous owner were still in place, so I had a slew of domains all pointing to my domain. The previous owner was probably a reseller running shared hosting on my new IP addresses. So I had a gazillion domains, e.g. redwidgets.com, nakedwidgetnews.com, etc. all pointing at my domain.

I contacted my host and asked them to kill all the old DNS records, but I also inserted a permanent redirect on my domain so that redwidgets.com would redirect to mydomain.com. This was done to avoid the duplicate content penalty.

Yahoo, Bing, and Google all indexed my site content under a handful of different domains. It took awhile to straighten the mess out.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

I found a post on IncrediBill's blog today that seems highly relevant here. It's on DNS Hijacking. He advises a Apache redirect to prevent the problem.

The guy is a very credible poster over at WMW. I have had his solution in place on all my sites for a long time because as he says:
    This also canonicalizes your domain to the non-www form of the domain name.
    I actually set if for the www form though. It's just a simple addition to .htaccess that probably many already have.

I would be curious to know if tmartini was using this.

Thanks for posting this article John. I blocked the domain hijacker in the vhost.conf file, but I also added updated the .htaccess file.

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^(alexscoupons\.com)?$
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.alexscoupons.com/$1 [R=301,L]

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

I think it can be a problem with dedicated hosts - they respond to pretty much any request for any domain as being a valid one, but if you have multiple sites on one host then the server checks the domain first and will reject anything that isn't configured.

I found a massive hijacking a few weeks ago where domain and its subdomains had been parked on top of millions of other pages.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread