Danger -- These plugins messes up "Comments" on your blog
    Egads! (Always wanted to use that word on a forum. Heck, never have all that many opportunities to use it anywhere! )

If you're using wp 2.8.4 and the anti-spam plugin called wp-spamfree or the plugin called "CommentLuv," you might want to deactivate those plugins. They will mess up the "Comment" functions on your blog and not allow anyone to leave a comment. Instead, when they try to submit a comment they get this message:

"Sorry, there was an error. JavaScript and Cookies are required in order to post a comment.

"Please be sure JavaScript and Cookies are enabled in your browser. Then, please hit the back button on your browser, and try posting your comment again. (You may need to reload the page)"

Happily, one of our fellow ABWers got this error message trying to leave a comment on one of my blogs (thanks again, HoundDawg) and alerted me to it. By Googling the whole big error message, I discovered several people having the problem with "CommentLuv," and further research uncovered the same problem with "CommentLuv." (I don't use "CommentLuv," so I know nothing about what version or whatever.)

If you use a lot of wp plugins as I do, it might be worth checking to see whether any others give the error upon trying to comment.

IMPORTANT -- If you're logged in as administrator to your blog and try leaving a comment, you won't get the error message. You must log out first and go to one of your blog posts and try to comment. If you're blog is set up to require registration for commenting, I guess you'd need to log in with an account you create with less than administrator level to get a true test.

If you get the error message and you aren't using either of these plugins, the best way to fix the problem would be to test repeatedly, deactivating one plugin at a time before each test. When or if the error shows up, you'll know the last plugin you deactivated was the culprit.

Might be worth check all this out if you've gotten regular comments on your blog and suddenly found them dropping off.
    Generate more fake news.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I was able to leave a comment on one of my sites where I have CommentLuv enabled, but the plugin didn't work. It said there was an error with my feed.

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    I was able to leave a comment on one of my sites where I have CommentLuv enabled, but the plugin didn't work. It said there was an error with my feed.
    I don't use the "CommentLuv" plugin on any of my sites, so I don't know about it personally. I do know I had issues with wp-spamfree. I mentioned CommentLuv because someone on the wp support forum originally identified the problem with that plugin.

I'm really discovering some evil things going on with some plugins. I tried to use one called "Kish Manage Multiple Wordpress Blogs," and it simply wouldn't do anything when I tried to use it under "Settings" in the wp dashboard. BUT -- I suddenly would try to edit a post and when I clicked on "Edit," the title would come up in my editing screen within the dashboard -- and the contents area would be empty. That was really exciting.

Deactivating that Kish plugin resolved the issue.

On some of my blogs, I've been getting a popup warning message when I'm editing a post and try to "save default." The message is something about "Are you sure you wish to navigate away from this page ..." or something like that. I'm not at all sure what that's all about. One discussion of it on the support forum at wp thinks it's related to some sort of conflict between a plugin and the wp autosave function.

The adventure continues, I guess.
    Generate more fake news.

When I first started using WP, I kind of went hog-wild on the plugins. But after getting some experience, now I try to keep the plugins (and problems) to a minimum.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread