Ok folks. Here is some code that someone sent me a while back that I finally had time to modify. This set of scripts uses the DoxDesk Parasite/Spyware detection javascript. The javascript will popup a small window informing the visitor that they are infected. I have added code to that popup that now records that information in your mysql database. This will allow you to create reports so you can see over time if this is effective or not. So that you do not get shell shocked when looking at the database, I designed it to only record 1 entry per user per day. This is to give you a better representation of how many users you have that might be infected.

This code is free to all. Feel free to make whatever changes you want. Installation is very simple and straightforward. There is no support for this one. If you run into problems, post a message either here or in the Programming section and either I or someone else will answer it.

This is written in php using the mysql database. I have been running this on all of my sites and so far, it has logged over 1,300 users infected.

Chris

ps...This script does not detect the TopMoxie type parasites. It only detects what DoxDesk can detect.
    Recycled Talent - Architects of custom scripts and snippets, perfectly written to suit any need. We stay on top of the latest technology so you don't have to.
    Total Stupidity - Shining light on stupid things.

ABW Ambassador
    1,300 users infected.

What percentage of users are infected?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cditty:
    The javascript will popup a small window informing the visitor that they are infected. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A Major FLAW ---popup a small window---

Not many browsers, toolbars and personal scripts allow pop-ups any longer!

I have gone way out of my way to exclude pop-ups, if your trying to assist in the remedy then STOP promoting Pop-Ups! If you are using them in as a remedy you are part of the problem.

Sorry Adam, That I don't know right now, but that is over the period of 1 week & 1 day.

Sandra, this also puts information on the page for the user to see. As for popups, they are not the problem. The problem is using dozens of popups at one time.

If the user doesn't accept popups, it doesn't record. If you don't want to allow the popups, simply edit the JS file and remove that line. If you do this, then you will not have anything recorded in the database. Personally, I don't care one way or the other for popups. There is nothing wrong with using them as long as they are used effectively.

As I said in the original post, this is a free script, modify it as you wish.

Chris
    Recycled Talent - Architects of custom scripts and snippets, perfectly written to suit any need. We stay on top of the latest technology so you don't have to.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    &gt;What percentage of users are infected?

Adam, I haven't run stats on my detector logs recently, but there is a post from me somewhere in the archives giving some figures.

Search on posts by me that include the term "BDE" - a very prolific parasite. I seem to recall the figure being 8% of all Windows users.

Actually instead of the popups, you can try to put in a pixel source and record the transaction and write back an invisible pixel.
    So this will eliminate the popup problem and record the required data in the db.
    Hope this helps.

Unfortunately, that option won't work. By the time the JS has been run and sees there is a parasite, the php code would have already been executed.

Chris

ABW Ambassador
    Another problem w/ the popups is that CPM companies like FastClick are serving popups that mimic this, trying to get people to think they're infected, click through, and buy some software... real shady & unfortunately, I think a lot of people would simply ignore your popup because of this...
    Hi, I'm a signature.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread