ABW Ambassador
    Old Schoolin' It For Content - Books
    Anybody use books, buy them or go to that ancient place, the library? Talking about for affiliate marketing.

I'm working on a site, probably will be my second biggest site. Big, high quality, content site. And it seems when people look for content or information, since they're online, they'll look for it online. Why not, it's right there at your fingertips and easy. But just about everything you find online, is on some other site. Scraped, spidered, whatever.

So for what I'm working on, I'm checking out other sites, future competition, researching my topic and a lot of it is just really unorganized or some of the same information I just read on another site. So I went to my local library and checked out some books on the subject. It was better organized and I took snippets of some content, put them into Google and 0 results. Library is ok since it's free. Mine didn't have the best selection, some old books. Then I was thinking just buy the books. Then I thought, check out ebay, could get them cheaper. So recently received some gift cards for B&N. Bought some nice new books at regular price, then bought a lot of New or Like New from all these 3rd party sellers they have. Some brand new books I ordered were only $2.99 plus about $3 for shipping. And these books in the store were going for $30+. Fills out my bookcase some and it's all tax deductible on top of that.

So for this site, I've been kind of old schoolin' it. Like back in the day when you had to do a report on something, go to the library, get a bunch of books on the subject, rewrite it in your own words.

For what I'm working on and it's kind of niche, some parts, a lot of it just isn't online (yet) but can find it in books. So was just wondering if anybody else uses books for this kind of thing for affiliate marketing.

Interesting post. I'm intriqued to know what the subject is, but recognize that sharing is not a happening thing. But in case you've forgotten, most libraries have an inter- library loan system that enables you to borrow books from libraries all over the country. Your local library even hunts them down for you. Especially helpful if the used.booksellers don't have what you are looking for or you really don't want to pay for it. Be warned that if you lose an interlibrary loaned book, it's gonna cost you big time.

Library Loan System
    Quote Originally Posted by jkgourmet
    Interesting post. I'm intriqued to know what the subject is, but recognize that sharing is not a happening thing. But in case you've forgotten, most libraries have an inter- library loan system that enables you to borrow books from libraries all over the country. Your local library even hunts them down for you. Especially helpful if the used.booksellers don't have what you are looking for or you really don't want to pay for it. Be warned that if you lose an interlibrary loaned book, it's gonna cost you big time.
    The system is know as Virtual Library Card, used by colleges throughout USA. Can get one from your local library with a photo id and library card. Great tool to have when in professional studies.
    Hope this helps. Have a great day!

Old Books or Just Books Affiliate
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Anybody use books, buy them or go to that ancient place, the library? Talking about for affiliate marketing.

I'm working on a site, probably will be my second biggest site. Big, high quality, content site. And it seems when people look for content or information, since they're online, they'll look for it online. Why not, it's right there at your fingertips and easy. But just about everything you find online, is on some other site. Scraped, spidered, whatever.

So for what I'm working on, I'm checking out other sites, future competition, researching my topic and a lot of it is just really unorganized or some of the same information I just read on another site. So I went to my local library and checked out some books on the subject. It was better organized and I took snippets of some content, put them into Google and 0 results. Library is ok since it's free. Mine didn't have the best selection, some old books. Then I was thinking just buy the books. Then I thought, check out ebay, could get them cheaper. So recently received some gift cards for B&N. Bought some nice new books at regular price, then bought a lot of New or Like New from all these 3rd party sellers they have. Some brand new books I ordered were only $2.99 plus about $3 for shipping. And these books in the store were going for $30+. Fills out my bookcase some and it's all tax deductible on top of that.

So for this site, I've been kind of old schoolin' it. Like back in the day when you had to do a report on something, go to the library, get a bunch of books on the subject, rewrite it in your own words.

For what I'm working on and it's kind of niche, some parts, a lot of it just isn't online (yet) but can find it in books. So was just wondering if anybody else uses books for this kind of thing for affiliate marketing.
    Check out Cheggs cannot give you link or URL violates TOS, ask any college student of sites, as they know them all...

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    The only books I can find in my library related to computing and affiliate marketing are on topics such as:
    How To Use Windows 3.1
    Programming in Pascal
    Advertising Strategies For the Modern Professional (1977)
    Beginners Guide to AOL
    Researching non-computer related content for a site is another matter - a library makes a very good research tool. So if I were putting together a site about raising horses for example, I could get a nice bunch of free resources at the library. And it is nice to be able to page back and forth in a book. Another advantage of a library book is that the author is generally a qualified authority on the subject, as opposed to just any old person slapping together a website - And I think that is what you are getting at here right?

I have obtained a few books for programming at the bookstore. But I can usually get them for less than half price used online.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

http and a telephoto
    I use books and magazines for content for a few of my niche websites. The existing websites on the subject look like they were made in the early days of AOL web design

Glad you caught up with a potentially huge repository of information
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

There is no books that I have seen on affiliate marketing that are worth buying, you need to buy books in the separate niches and learn about marketing that niche.

I like the Guerrilla advertising books and all the stuff that Jay Conrad has written.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

That is exactly how I do my site.

However I only use books as a resource and to gather information. I also do a check to see if there is any info lifted from the books and posted online. I have seen it done and would never do that. However, wanted to see how well the info is presented like you.

I usually buy my books because I will never remember to return them and I refer back to them always. So I have piles and piles of books/magazines around my desk for that purpose. But when I write, I usually use my creative knowledge and my own ideas. So it takes me forever to write a themed post but I know it's unique and valuable. I also try to protect my site then too by putting the spider trap up to minimize theft.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Argh! Now my secret's out!

I do a certain amount of my site building and blogging most weeks from a study room at my local public library.

I frequently use library books for content on some of those blogs. I don't plagiarize, of course, but I find books usually a well-organized source of information to research several of my niches.

Oh, and for several of you in this thread, I think you're missing the question. I don't THINK Trust was asking if you use books about affiliate marketing, were you trust? But some of the responses seem as though some are reading the thread that way.

I'm talking about using content from books related to affiliate marketing niches about which I blog. I use the books as research tools.

You youngsters here ( ) probably can't imagine such a thing, but there was a time when libraries didn't have databases and you actually had to PHYSICALLY SEARCH A CARD CATALOG to locate books and magazines in the library. Shocking, I know.

I miss the Old Days.
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    "I don't THINK Trust was asking if you use books about affiliate marketing, were you trust? But some of the responses seem as though some are reading the thread that way."

Right, not books about affiliate marketing but books about different subjects. If someone were to make a site on let's say swords. You can get all kinds of books on swords, get your information from there. I find books better organized and again finding a lot of original content, not online. For the site I'm working on, I plan to make 1 page a day and it's going to be the best or one of the best pages on the internet on this subject or more accurately specific item of a much broader subject. And for the page I plan on finishing today, I have 4 different books that I'm taking notes on, then I'm going to rewrite it in my own words.

"I usually buy my books because I will never remember to return them and I refer back to them always"

Same here, library is free which is nice but mine doesn't have the best selection and then I always have to renew or return them. I like having the books right here with me. So I'm buying them and there's all kinds of places you can get them cheap if you want too, online and offline. One of the places I found thru B&N was - http://www.mkbookloft.com/

As an example - http://www.mkbookloft.com/?page=shop...8c84f3c47e0294

You can get brand new books for $2-$3 plus shipping and these guys ship fast. I had the book within 4 or 5 days from when I placed an order. And there's all kinds of places like that.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Funny you should bring this up ....

My 3 yr old grand daughter loves going to our local Library on Tues. & Thurs. when they have reading time for 2-4 yr olds.

Tons of kids, a very hot person in a Barney or Toons outfit reads to them, they play games, play together and all sorts of stuff.

I bring my laptop, open notepad and take a ton of notes that I use often.

I don't really research new niches, just fill in the gaps and update things for my existing sites.

So many things have changes at the Library since I was a kid.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Ok I read the thread wrong - My bad.

On that note I don't use books in that fashion at all but I will use magazines for ideas on sites.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Shhhhh... you're giving away the secret!
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

BOOKS?? YOU USE BOOKS?? Oh, no. No, no. Don't use books. Just forget all about this thread. No. Definitely stay away from books. Who needs 'em when we've got Google and Wikipedia???
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny O'Hare
    On that note I don't use books in that fashion at all but I will use magazines for ideas on sites.
    Walking past a newstand and looking at the magazine article titles can give you fab ideas about trends, as well as scanning those opener sections with short 2-3 paragraph articles.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd
    Walking past a newstand and looking at the magazine article titles can give you fab ideas about trends, as well as scanning those opener sections with short 2-3 paragraph articles.
    Newstands?? What are those? I don't get away from home or the library enough, I guess.

All kidding aside, yup, magazines are another great offline resource. Both for niche and marketing ideas and researching content.
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Newstands?? What are those? I don't get away from home or the library enough, I guess.
    Sorry, I forgot to state more options. Do you ever shop at a grocery store? There's always zines at grocery checkouts (and some dept. store checkouts), your library, doctors waiting rooms or possibly convenience stores.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd
    Sorry, I forgot to state more options. Do you ever shop at a grocery store? There's always zines at grocery checkouts (and some dept. store checkouts), your library, doctors waiting rooms or possibly convenience stores.
    Grocery stores?? What are grocery stores?

Nah, just kidding. In fact we don't have newsstands as such that I'm aware of in our happy little burg -- but I really was just kidding about not knowing what they are.

And, yes, grocery store checkouts, especially when you're standing and waiting in a long line, are an easy place to scan what's going on and find popular, trendy niche ideas for sure.
    Generate more fake news.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread