Terminating an Affiliate Because of unusually high number of clicks being driven
    I'm usually averse to terminating affiliates unless they employ parasiteware as a promotional method or directly violate our T&C's.

However, I've been having problems with an affiliate who is driving thousands of clicks without generating a single sale. Now this could be bot clicks from ad words (which are usually filtered by the network I run my program on), but fact is, these clicks are seriously pulling my program's EPC ranking down.

Now, do you guys think it's okay for me to terminate this publisher using only the tremendous amount of empty clicks he drives as basis?

Start by identifying the actual source of the clicks. (If these appear to be robot or crawler clicks, consider contacting the network and asking them to exclude that robot/crawler from their counting algorithm so they don't impact your EPC reporting.) If there are other "unusual attributes" for the traffic, such as an uncommon number of clicks with missing referring-URL data, or foriegn-IP clicks, or whatever, consider the likelihood that the affiliate is engaged in improper acts. (Though unlikely, it's always possible that the affiliate is being "set up" by someone who is driving worthless traffic to your site in order to trick YOU into terminating the affiliate.)

The next step is communicating with the affiliate. Point out the problem (that your EPC figures are being depressed by the unusually high number of clicks without sales) -- and of course, make clear if the affiliate's low conversion rate is atypical for your program.

Terminating the affiliate should be your last option, but certainly it is an option if you can't get satisfactory responses to your inquiries.

It is a good possibility that it is a BOT. From Sunday night to Monday morning one of our sites was hit by a BOT from Denmark that clicked on every link on the site generating almost 3000 clicks. We have set up on our site what we call a Bot trap (info available from ABW thread - http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=113030) that we have had success in controlling these thing but apparently this BOT ignored what we had set up. I would send an e-mail to the affiliate and question them first about it.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by boningroup
    It is a good possibility that it is a BOT. From Sunday night to Monday morning one of our sites was hit by a BOT from Denmark that clicked on every link on the site generating almost 3000 clicks. We have set up on our site what we call a Bot trap (info available from ABW thread - http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=113030) that we have had success in controlling these thing but apparently this BOT ignored what we had set up. I would send an e-mail to the affiliate and question them first about it.
    I'm going to note almost the same thing happened to my site a couple of days ago .. but the bots where mostly from china ..

-----
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    My mind may be playing tricks on me, but I seem to recall Leader having a nice response to this exact issue one, maybe two years ago.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    One very quick way to check this out is IF you have access to data on each click such as IP and Browser Agent, then look at that data.

If every single click has similar IPs, that could be a big issue.

Also if every single click has the "XYZ Toolbar" installed or is using the exact same version of Windows, that is usually a sign of fraud, but that latter could be bots.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

On one side the affiliate is pulling down your stats, and on the other, they aren't doing anything to violate your T & C's. I would try contacting the affiliate first. If there is no response, I wouldn't feel bad about protecting you program.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread