Letter to Google Executives
    Google Executives,

Just a short note to let you know what some affiliates are doing in response to your mandatory Adsense signup.

As I always do just before Q4, I update the lists of merchants that appear on my coupon sites. I do this to ensure no deactivated merchants appear, nor any duplicate merchant listings (merchants on 2 networks).

In previous years, if a merchant was on two (or more) networks, I would use links from networks in a certain order. It's usually been Performics (I love using Orange Links), Shareasale (Deals database rocks), CJ, and finally Linkshare. So, in the past, if a merchant was on both Performics, and CJ, I would use their Performics links.

This year, however, I've been forced to use GAN as a last resort. If a merchant is on ANY other network, I choose that other network (even Linkshare )

Why do I now choose GAN last? Frankly Google, you're really scaring me. This entire Adsense mess could have been easily avoided. So easy to avoid in fact that I must conclude that you have alternative motives for wanting all GAN publishers to be Adsense publishers. I do not believe that you're only reason for wanting me to join Adsense is to streamline payments. If you're willing to treat your affiliates so poorly, as you have from the beginning of this issue, I can't help but take steps now to protect myself from you. The best way I can do this is to move as much of my income away from GAN as I can.

Google Executives, I am a 4 bar publisher at both GAN and CJ, earning 5 figures each month from each network. I also do very well with both Linkshare and Shareasale (which will likely now rise). Any amount of money you might save by streamlining my payment will now be grossly overshadowed by the amount of earnings I am now pushing away from GAN and onto other networks.

Google, for me, the damage is done. I will not use GAN links for any merchants that have programs on other networks. All merchants that are solely on GAN have received an email from me expressing my thoughts about you and your actions. I am also encouraging those merchants to either step away from GAN entirely, or open a separate program at another network.

I understand some peoples need for anonymity, but just think of the added impact a post like the above would have if you could sign your real name. With the anonymous post they may just conclude that it's all made up.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    I understand some peoples need for anonymity, but just think of the added impact a post like the above would have if you could sign your real name. With the anonymous post they may just conclude that it's all made up.
    I disagree. They would have to be ultra-dumb to reach that conclusion at this point.

In a forum like this one, anonymity is most people's preferred mode of expression. Nothing wrong with that.
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by IAmMe
    Google, for me, the damage is done. I will not use GAN links for any merchants that have programs on other networks. All merchants that are solely on GAN have received an email from me expressing my thoughts about you and your actions. I am also encouraging those merchants to either step away from GAN entirely, or open a separate program at another network.
    I agree IAmMe. I'm a 4 bar GAN publisher as well and I've taken the exact same actions as you. The new payment delays appear to be horrendous. If a merchant pays GAN on July 2nd, that payment should be in my bank account by mid-July, not end of August!

Also, I don't agree that IAmMe should reveal his identity. We come to ABW so that we can highlight affiliate marketing issues without backlash against our businesses.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Also, I don't agree that IAmMe should reveal his identity. We come to ABW so that we can highlight affiliate marketing issues without backlash against our businesses.
    I am not saying he "should reveal". If he could and they looked at their records to verify it would have more impact.

Hopefully he sent the same message in private correspondence to the Google Executives but with his name attached. If I'm a Google wheel I would just ignore anonymous input, but maybe they don't. I hope I'm wrong.

Good arguments stand on their own two feet regardless of who makes them. Google has enough smart people to know that.
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

Here is the list of their Board of Directors and top executives:

http://www.google.com/corporate/execs.html

Also, as a stock holder I am not sure what I can do but I have a meeting next week with someone who can help direct me.

Who knows if any of this will help. The list does not contain email or contact addresses, but I figure with enough digging around, we can find them.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmMe
    In previous years, if a merchant was on two (or more) networks, I would use links from networks in a certain order. It's usually been Performics (I love using Orange Links), Shareasale (Deals database rocks), CJ, and finally Linkshare. ... This year, however, I've been forced to use GAN as a last resort.
    Interestingly, now that you've moved GAN to the bottom of the list, it's basically the same as my order of preference for the top four: SAS, CJ, LinkShare and then GAN.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    Here is the list of their Board of Directors and top executives:

http://www.google.com/corporate/execs.html

Also, as a stock holder I am not sure what I can do but I have a meeting next week with someone who can help direct me.

Who knows if any of this will help. The list does not contain email or contact addresses, but I figure with enough digging around, we can find them.
    Interesting that none of the names and biographies on that list cites GAN or Google Affiliate Network among the responsibilities.

ABW Ambassador
    "Chris Henger, head of Google Affiliate Network" "Group Product Manager"
    http://www.performancemarketingallia...-of-directors/

email address on this page
    http://www.performancemarketingallia...-contact-info/

Think that would be the one to contact.

"Chris Henger, head of Google Affiliate Network" "Group Product Manager"
    http://www.performancemarketingalli...d-of-directors/
    Looks like the big players are well represented on the PMA.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    Looks like the big players are well represented on the PMA.
    What a wonderful indication of future response to affiliates
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    What a wonderful indication of future response to affiliates
    Really!! Sheesh
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Hum CJ 5 bars and GAN 4 bars.....

here is some humble
    http://investor.google.com/fin_data.html

;-)

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread