Hi,

Just curious if you affiliate pros have any hard and fast rules of thumb on how many clicks you will send a merchant, before pulling the merchant for non-performance?

100? 1000? More?

I've been sending a merchant EXTREMELY targeted traffic for a product that has an average retail of $150-250. However, after sending 500 clickthroughs to them, I've gotten a big fat zero in sales.

Is there a sales/click ratio you use as a threshold point to say "Adios" to a merchant that doesn't convert?

Many thanks for your feedback!

Regards,

Nordie........

This question gets asked a lot. I've never seen a solid answer posted by anyone in the past. I've sent one merchant about 6000 clicks and finaly made a sale. Ususally I figure at least one sale per hundred clicks or whatever is still profitable.

I dumped one at 500 once, which was a shame because it suited one of my sites to a tee and it generate some nice traffic.
    I say we hit it hard and we hit it fast with a major, and I mean "major" leaflet campaign.
    Arnold J. Rimmer : Jupiter Mining Corporation

That depends on if you are paying for the clicks or are relying on free traffic.

If they are taking traffic away from your site that might have bought from another merchant if they weren't on the site is also a consideration.

Other factors; I have a whole site that is a dud but it ranks high in the search engines. All the merchants are non-performers and I would love to dump them but there are no other choices that I can find with the needed products. However, the site, as it stands, ranks high so I use it as a linking option to get other sites into the search engines at a decent PR.

You need to consider the whole picture. That is why no one can give you a good answer.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Yeah like Rik said sometimes it's nice just to keep getting the traffic. Adsense anyone? lol

It was a high price item that would actually be worth getting 1 sale for every 500 clicks, especially since the traffic was from free SE traffic. I kept the page up for so long hoping that maybe the affiliate gods would grant thee a sale.
    I say we hit it hard and we hit it fast with a major, and I mean "major" leaflet campaign.
    Arnold J. Rimmer : Jupiter Mining Corporation

ABW Ambassador
    I've used 500 or so as my own point of no return and would yank um quick if they weren't contributing. A dog merchant that doesn't convert "for whatever reason legit or not" is wasting your visitors time and likely taking away opportunities for other merchants that may or would convert otherwise. Leaving up non performing merchants is a mistake IMO but there seems to be a big crowd here that won't pull um. Some items are seasonal and convert better at specific times of the year and you do need to consider this if it applies as well.

ABW Ambassador
    i am a bit worried this month with one befree merchant, i normally get a few big sales each month, but so far

over 38,330 impressions,
    932 targeted clicks

not a single sale!!!! does that sound normal?

ABW Ambassador
    They usually get 1000 or so click thrus from me before I get around to replacing them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> am a bit worried this month with one befree merchant, i normally get a few big sales each month, but so far

over 38,330 impressions,
    932 targeted clicks

not a single sale!!!! does that sound normal?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortuantley it is normal. Befree totally lacks any tools and / or support that would help the affiliate understand the situation in this type of case

(and they have crawled up into their hole, starting to look like the Befree of old again).

300 and no sales is usually the limit...but I do keep a few up because I can build content around their products and get good CTR from Adsense.

As long as they pay per click, they can stay as well.

I'm in this game to make money, not send FREE traffic to merchants.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I'm with Poon on this one as the results of 500 clicks had best produce a sale or they get no more buildout exposure. No etailer or a brick-n-mortar store can stay in business at a 1/500 conversion ratio. Targeted affiliates traffic has to be worth more then PPCSE keyword traffic. If not then the merchnat is playing reversal games, reporting games or diluting of cookies with BHO's.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    If I didn't hold out for 1sale/2k clicks, I wouldn't be here right now. This game has taught me patience.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

I am at the 500 point with a few merchants that i am gonna pull today so i guess 500 is my magic #

I may still keep a merchant that only converts 1/2000, but I certainly won't put any effort into them (unless each sale earns a huge commission).

I have one new merchant I just started working with this afternoon who has already generated 7 sales out of 16 (very highly targeted) clicks for $45 in commissions. THAT is the type of merchant I'll focus my efforts on.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Here goes nothing........but enough time is enough.......time.....

I have ask myself that same question for a long time over and over......."How Many Clicks Before You Abandon a Non-Performer?"

I have this two merchants for over two years listed on my site and even after I had many, many targeted hits on those two in the last six months, I have not had a single sale ever with either one of them.

So, can anyone here suggest an replacement for these two that will convert at least in 1 to 1000 clicks?

Coming April 3, they will be drooped from my site for ever, unless there is a miracle and I get a couple of sales from them between now and then, I will delete those two pages the same way I deleted the hobby toys pages last year, I'm tired of getting rip-off same times.....
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    Why would you want me to mention those two merchants?......so I get some BS from some of you that are making money from them and then tell me that I must be doing something wrong.

;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    ;
    OK, I guess that after a couple of thousand targeted hits in the last two years, I can mention those two time wasters on my site.

Nutricounter and sovietski........

Sal.

It depends on the type of merchant and their previous months stats. I would hold out through 2000 clicks for a diamond merchant and maybe 200 clicks for a clothing store.
    ~Ernie

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    If you get 10% on the $250 sale, that would make $25 per 500 clickthrus or $5 EPC which isn't that bad. Maybe go another 500 click-thrus.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I've had Sovietski Collection also for quite a while, but without many hits, even. I'm putting them on a new site soon that is more targetted.

ABW Ambassador
    ok, i just emailed a particular befree merchant, who is partnered with mypoints and ebates and god knows who else, to aske what is going on!

over 1000 clicks this month now, not a single sale.

i would normally drop them but i will give a chance, to see if they have any ideas as to why no sales!
    i also directed them to the parasite forum!!!

Hello ;-)

This is my approach to "new" programs and merchants ... I buy a new domain, and put in enough time to see sales... for me that usally means no less than say 25 hours and about 1000 pages.

Once the site is finished I then link to the new site and wait .... I forget it. Two or three months later if I am making "good" money with the new program or "niche" I then continue to add pages or start work on another site within the same niche.

It is hard to say just how any merchant should convert, some programs have a lower conversion rate for various reasons...

Ask yourself if the product your trying to sell (or service) has any entertainment value ... will *some* of your site visitors be wanting to purchase .... possibly *most* of your visitors will want to purchase .... best case is *nearly all visitors will want to purchase*.

A good example of this is art.com or allposters.com ....

Art work and posters are *fun* to view, you will have poeple on your affiliated site with no intention of buying at all .... your not going to convert those folks. Sure you might convert 1 in 1000 but that will not be enough to "matter".

You will also have folks on your site doing "research" just wanting to learn about artists and such.

Now compare that with say .... my field of choice ...

Prescription drugs, I convert about 4% of my visitors to some of my sites. The percentage of people searching online for drugs is more in favor of the affiliate simply becuase many of these folks want to buy ;-)

Good luck ....

Cheers,

Wow!

Thank you everyone, for some very insightful comments! Never expected this level of response, but am happy to see it!

Keep it coming, if you have more comments!

Regards,

Nordie........

ABW Ambassador
    For me, the number of clicks isn't really a good metric to determine whether to get rid of a merchant or not. You may have a page that is ranking, through fluke of algo, for 'free blue widgets' when your page is about blue widgets with free shipping. You'll get a lot of click throughs to your merchants from this traffic, but it's never going to convert.

My first assumption with poor converting merchants is always - what is this traffic actually looking for, what have they searched for to find my site and am I delivering what they want. Only then do I start to think 'this merchant is a dog'.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I will concur on "art" sites - mine gets loads of traffic and I swear I couldn't give these products to most of these people. Good Google PR though.

I have noticed one thing though: Since art.com started their inhouse program I have been getting a few Linkshare purchases yet none on the inhouse. My theory is that the parasites have migrated to inhouse since it pays more. I switched all links back to Linkshare, and got a new sale today!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread