ABW Ambassador
    Affiliate Marketing: The Sky Is The Limit, Ever Expanding Universe?
    We all know the negatives, every business has them but sometimes I think we forget about the positives. So *start corniness* come have a seat, the rocket ship is about to take off. So hold on tight, it's going to be a bumpy ride, some won't survive the trip. *end corniness*

First of all - As an affiliate I love... http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=97371

Some of the love stuff:
    no boss
    no schedule
    working from home
    can make money while sleeping
    can make money while on vacation
    you can work naked or dressed like a clown
    live where you want
    vacation when you want
    can eat when you want and for how long you want
    literally no limit in earnings

just some of the things gathered from that thread and over the years.

Now some more things to keep in mind.

We are in the one of the worst economies ever, some say since the Great Depression. It will get better. One day it'll get worse, and then better and then.... Again, it's going to get better.

(broken record) Never forget that there will always be merchants out there wanting more traffic and sales. Always. Imagine you're a new merchant just starting online. You can do it on your own or get hundreds/thousands of affiliates spending their own time and many times, their own money to send you traffic and sales. So for a merchant, I think it's the best model out there, run right. So there's always going to be a market for somebody who can deliver those sales/traffic.

Something I brought up almost 5 years ago, was an interesting show I watched back then - http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...highlight=echo What they call the "echo boomer" generation or whatever you want to call it. Kids today are growing up today with computers in the home, in school and are very comfortable with them, the internet, shopping online. Ecommerce is going to continue to grow and that's good for affiliates.

Ways to monetize your site. There is no shortage of ways to do that today and it continues to get better. If you're getting any kind of traffic, you should be making money. If you're not, the problem isn't the traffic, the problem is you haven't found the right way to monetize it. As an example, there were many people with content sites where affiliate links just weren't working. And Adsense came along and then a lot of those people, many virtually overnight, started to make money. Point is there are options out there.

Social media. There are people nowadays that get most of their traffic, not from search engines, PPC but from all the social media stuff out there. Great thing is, it's possible to get traffic from all those sources and even more things. I've always been a skeptic when a lot of this new stuff came out because I always look to find practical ways to use it and there have been times where I've said, Ok that's nice, that looks cool but how can I use this for my business? And as time goes on and people try new things, they are finding ways.

Add on if you like. Again, there are problems but I like to take the path of trying to work on them as best you can but not let them drown you in the process. Keep building your business as well. There are problems in every business and especially more when the business is still relatively new, like this one.

Just to be fair, I'll contribute.

I love the fact that affiliate marketing covers most of my kayaking expenses. Just by me writing about it.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Cool why not?
    hey, I'm still building fresh pages . . . there will always be another buying season for something.

http and a telephoto
    Trust, you nailed it. There will always be people that game the system. That doesn't mean you have to play with them, and they will be short term successful.

Affiliates that find ABW and stick around aren't the fly by nights, they are the people that are in this for the long haul. Years ago we could put up a sales directory, a datafeed site with just products and pictures and some sales text and make money. Today, shoppers want more. So the affiliate marketing model has to change with what shoppers want.

Merchants will always be out there that are working to build their brand and their sales. Affiliates help them, they are the least expensive internet marketing option. They don't get paid unless they create sales. If there is one merchant with restrictive terms (I saw a doozy of a TOS yesterday!), find the next one that has the "right" terms. There are plenty of "sleepers" in the network merchant lists, and in the indie world still, that the numbers don't look good for, but that is because no one gives them a shot.

Some affiliate sites need the "big brands". OK, fine, then that means you live with their terms. How about showing alternatives? There are hundreds of niche merchants that fill the same needs as the big brands, with better customer service and commitment to their affiliates. They are "ready to break" (to use a record industry lingo) but they haven't been "discovered".

Affiliates have the ability to create the next big brand.
    Affiliates have the ability to create the next great way to market (ethically).
    Affiliates have the ability to determine how much money they want to make and then go after making it.

Affiliate Voice was created because affiliates wanted a way to be heard as a group. Go join and add your voice to the collective. But most affiliates won't because pretty much all affiliates are solitary creatures that prefer to work alone in their pjs at odd hours.

So there is the conundrum... do you want to make collective change or work alone to effect change? You can do both actually.

I see no end to affiliate marketing. I see only new merchants that will be happy to work with the folks here because they have a goal: they want to make money, they want to build their brand, they want customers.

Brands that keep finding ways *not* to pay affiliates need to be dropped. And the affiliates dropping them need to tell them why. I can tell a merchant that policies x, y and z are not going to work, but until the person making the sales says "because of policies x, y, and z I'm not promoting you any more" that merchant will tell me it's just my opinion.

Trust not sure if this was what you are looking for in this thread, if not, I'll move it. But I agree with you that the sky *is* the limit.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I'm a big believer that the sky is still the limit. I might get discouraged at times, but it only lasts until the next sale gets posted.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    'Cause I can go out and mow my yard any day of the week, play around with w/ my grand poopers 24/7, scratch and no one can say anything.

Kevin's thread has teeth because we all want to think that this affiliate marketing and promotion will NEVER END!

But for those of us that make it work, we will never be un-happy to see newbies leave ..... methinks ....

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy
    But for those of us that make it work, we will never be un-happy to see newbies leave ..... methinks ....
    We need newbies... both merchants and affiliates. A static group helps no one.
    Deborah Carney

I'm hopeful about new ways to track sales like pay-per-call.

About a week ago I made my first commision that way. The cool thing for me at least was that AFAIK... G played no part in supplying the traffic, driving the sale, or paying the commission.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    We need newbies... both merchants and affiliates. A static group helps no one.
    YOU need newbies....

And I totally understand it from your stand point...

Not me ....

I've created more competition for myself over the years than I want to elaborate on ...

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )

[ continuing on with the corniness here from the old thread]

Affiliate marketing is like being on Kevin's Kayak and steering your boat through the water. It's about going along for the ride but not just a short one, but one that will take you around the world and then some more. You want to be in the best condition as possible, not just yourself but also your boat. There are no shortcuts. You have to learn all the skills and keep at it so you can build knowledge, be aware of dangers (parasites, scrapers, latest cloaking schemes, copycats, etc.) and learn the right way to to glide with the waters. Sometimes the water is rough and you have to be strong enough to keep up and go with the flow. If you are, you get a great ride and get real far $$$ . Sometimes there is hardly any water, so you better be prepared and sure that you are strong enough to push yourself through the stream to keep going. If you are ready for all sorts of situations, circumstances, conditions, you will be able to take yourself, your visitors and even your children for generations to come with you and have a tremendous $$$$ time. You will then get to see the world and all its wonders. : D

[/ end corniness]

At least that is what I am shooting for. It is all long term for me. You got to enjoy what you do otherwise it will not last. If you are true to yourself, you will be true to your visitors and the rest will follow. Keeping up with technology, social networks, etc. will be work but if if you are talking about something you love or promoting something you are passionate about, then it won't feel like work.

It does amaze me how internet savvy the younger crowd is but that is only natural. We just have to keep up and adapt. One of the main advantage that we would have over the younger, new affiliate marketers is our history and the reputation of our domains. For now history is important for G (and few search engines), and for those who have been in this game early on, they also have the advantage of grabbing the better keyword rich domains.

Affiliate marketing is still in its infancy. Many people still don't know what it is but slowly, I do see lots of bloggers, who were just bloggers before, now starting to learn to monetize. It will definitely get more crowded and tougher. More people doing illegal rebills, shady offers, toolbars, parasitic behaviors. Perhaps it takes people like Oprah to draw attention to this industry and for the legislation to take a closer look to understand how this all works. That part is still missing. We need tougher legislation in this industry and I hope this case will start the ball rolling in that direction.

That ROCKED ladidah ..........

Bring the corniness on .....

Well said ....

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy
    YOU need newbies....

And I totally understand it from your stand point...

Not me ....

I've created more competition for myself over the years than I want to elaborate on ...
    We'll agree to disagree apparently, but you are successful in *your* niche, if you help someone out in *another* niche, you both win because the industry gets stronger.

I train my competition every day. There *is* enough for everyone, especially if you have a good niche and you go dig out new good merchants.

Stagnation is death. New ideas, new blood, new merchants, new affiliates, they are all good for the industry. As long as they are educated on the "right" way to do things.

No I don't advocate giving away your specific niche secrets or people stealing sites. I advocate teaching the principles so that people can find their own way of doing things. That creates good things for everyone.

Never underestimate the value of karma.
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    We'll agree to disagree apparently, but you are successful in *your* niche, if you help someone out in *another* niche, you both win because the industry gets stronger.

I train my competition every day. There *is* enough for everyone, especially if you have a good niche and you go dig out new good merchants.

Stagnation is death. New ideas, new blood, new merchants, new affiliates, they are all good for the industry. As long as they are educated on the "right" way to do things.

No I don't advocate giving away your specific niche secrets or people stealing sites. I advocate teaching the principles so that people can find their own way of doing things. That creates good things for everyone.

Never underestimate the value of karma.
    Funny you should bring up Karma ....

The other day when I started that google rawks thread, I started working on my TMUSA site and I'll be darned if it wasn't hacked in a big way.

The home page had two humongous yellow eyes on it and it said HACKED>

Turns out that my ISP's server was hacked and every file /index page was wiped out ...

I never even went back to that post to read anything ...

Oh I love these types of threads! We need more of these around.

Only one complaint about the title of this thread...You say the Sky is the Limit. But I say, don't tell me the sky is the limit, when there are footprints on the moon! The possibilities in this business are truly endless.

I've been doing this for a few years now, and I feel like I've been truly blessed. Not only do I get to do this from home, but I do it when I want to, and how I want to.

Nicely stated, ladidah. Your corniness is cool, indeed.

On the part about "The Sky Is The Limit." I tend not to agree - because I spend some of my free time up there in the sky.

It is a place to rejuvenate, to relax and enjoy the scenery (and the challenges of flight). It is also a good place to get motivated and think of new ideas and/or better ways of doing what it is that I do.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Nicely stated, ladidah. Your corniness is cool, indeed.

On the part about "The Sky Is The Limit." I tend not to agree - because I spend some of my free time up there in the sky.

It is a place to rejuvenate, to relax and enjoy the scenery (and the challenges of flight). It is also a good place to get motivated and think of new ideas and/or better ways of doing what it is that I do.
    Have I ever told you that I am scared shitless of heights?

I even see somebody on television looking over a mountain or jumping out of a plane and I am paralyzed...

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread