Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Twitter gets a voice...
    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-343824.html

Twitter users on Thursday will, for the first time, be able to make voice calls directly to each other through the microblogging service.

Jajah A new third-party offering from Jajah known as Jajah@call is expected to go into beta Thursday morning that will allow Twitter users to initiate a two-way voice chat with other users by typing "@call @username"--where "username" is someone's Twitter ID--into any Twitter client. During the beta period, the company said, the calls will be limited to two minutes, but the company will evaluate that length during beta. However, it sees the two minute period--after which the call will end--as "the verbal equivalent of a tweet".

According to Jajah, an Internet communications provider with tens of millions of users, the service will allow a user to place a call to any other user, so long as the second person follows the first on Twitter and both have Jajah accounts. The service is free to use and is expected to work on any Twitter-enabled device, from PCs to smart phones.

One important element of the service is that users can keep their phone numbers private, yet be able to have voice chats with just about anyone on Twitter. To be sure, since the calls are initiated by one person, the recipient may well not be online, or may choose to ignore the call if they don't want to talk.

There are currently several applications that allow users to create voice-to-text Twitter posts--known as tweets--but it does not appear that anyone has yet made it possible to initiate voice communications directly between Twitter users.

http and a telephoto
    Um... I don't want people to be able to Twitter call me. I don't always have a mic on the computer AND I am not always available for interrupting.

ah, didn't see the part about needing an account on the second service. Just won't sign up
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Um... I don't want people to be able to Twitter call me. I don't always have a mic on the computer AND I am not always available for interrupting.

ah, didn't see the part about needing an account on the second service. Just won't sign up
    Even if I did want SOME people to be able to Twitter call me, I wouldn't want all my followers to be able to do so. I would hope they'd let you choose which ones you allow.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread