The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Domain Transfer Dance
    I have about 70 domains. Now it costs $10 to keep them where the domains are (on 2 ISP) and about $7.25 to transfer them to eachother. So the time has come to transfer my domains. It pisses me off that they make it hard to transfer all the domains out. You have to go through them one by one and unlock them and then go through them one by one and have the authorization numbers emailed to you.

To transfer in is much simpler, that you can do in bulk. Well it took about an hour and a half just to unlock the domains and to get the authorization numbers. I guess tomorrow I'll do the actual transfers.

The strange thing is that both the ISPs that host the domain are really the same company. I think I called them a few years back asking if I could avoid this and pay the transfer rate without moving the domians but I don't think they was too keen on it. Maybe next year I'll call again, no use in wasting the time I already spent if the wanswer would ahve been yes.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

I'd be looking for another registrar. I can see "why" a registrar makes it easy/convenient to transfer IN and more difficult to transfer OUT - but that doesn't make it right.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    Good luck with that! I've always wondered how people that have tons of domains manage this as I have about 15 and I still have trouble keeping them all straight without a spreadsheet and even then....

Transferring domains around to save $2+ something on each, per year, is nonsense. I have a good number of domains (for clients) and I would never consider doing that, even if I couldn't get a better rate. However, at a quality, professional registrar, you can usually get domain registration and domain renewal prices that are not very far off from their transfer-in rate, if you are a professional web developer with many clients.

In my case, there is a 40 cent difference (there are term requirements, but they are reasonable). I consider that fair. Larger customer may get even more of a discount, but I think they have treated me very fairly.

I pass along the savings to my clients.

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    It's not $2, its 20% to 30% savings. At 70+ domains that saves me $200.

Let's look at godaddy for example. It's $10.69 for a renewal and $6.99 for a transfer that is a 30% price difference. 30% is a significant savings. If the savings was only say 5% i might not bother, but 30% is worth it when the time doing it I am watching TV anyway.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

With 70+ domains it might be worth a phone call. A (good) while back I saw the same thing happening with prices and made a call to each of three registrars, Moniker, Dotster and eNom. All three agreed to lower my prices to keep them from losing domains (and to save me some effort). The prices were lowered to a competitive level - I did NOT move any domains - end of story.

I also had tried with GoDaddy but they were not "listening." So I began transferring domains as they came up for renewal. After about a dozen transfers "out" they called and offered a better rate. I told them it was too late; should have responded to my request six months earlier. Today I only have a couple domains with GD - just to keep the account open - in case I buy a domain on the third party market and it happens to be registered at GD (makes it much easier to obtain the domain).
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

BTW, you can request the auth codes in a CSV (domain,authcode) much easier than doing it manually

I just did the same with about 230 of my 1600.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread