Annoying Noob Mistake
    Just letting off a little steam, I made an annoying noobie mistake this week. I signed up for an affiliate program off the merchants website, where they advertise that their commission payout is 8%. The sign up takes you to SAS, where I saw that the commission is 1%. I wrote the aff manager at this merchant to confirm which rate was correct but never got a reply (should be a red flag, I know). I forgot actually that I was waiting for a reply from them.

I blog about fashion and put together recommended outfits, using articles from a lot of different merchants, including one test article from this merchant. Well, yesterday I had a sale of $128, SAS is showing that I made a whopping $1.28 off this sale.

So, I contacted the aff manager using the contact form for customers off the website and got a prompt answer that 1% is the correct commission, and thanks for the sale LOL

So, pretty annoyed, mostly with myself. But it is also wrong to post an 8% commission on their site. I had been "googling" for merchants and didn't find them thru SAS.

So, off they go from my site. Live and learn yadda yadda. Just wanted to whine a bit

Lightbulb
    I hope you let them know why you dropped them . . .

Extremely annoying! Yes, you have to pay attention to the "red flags" that pop up. Even if the commission now was 8%, some merchants are dropping their rates, return days or claiming the customer is theirs after one purchase and you'll never receive another commission if that customer buys again.

As PITA as it is, you must carefully read through all TOS and as you did, it's a good idea to write the AM and see if you get a response. It doesn't always mean that it's a bad program if you don't receive one, but you should always keep checking merchant sites for leaks to other sites, popups for "assistance" that overwrite your cookie, ongoing sweepstakes offers that never end, immediate newsletter popups, etc.
    Rene
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

lintlin, I'm not sure if SaS can/will do anything about this issue, but you should report the merchant to them. Also post the name of the merchant here so that others won't make the same mistake and can avoid this program.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    I sure hope you didn't spend the $1.28 all in one place!

Seriously, sorry you had to deal with that.

lintlin, I'm not sure if SaS can/will do anything about this issue, but you should report the merchant to them. Also post the name of the merchant here so that others won't make the same mistake and can avoid this program.

-rematt
    Please do! It is not acceptable and they deserve to be raked through the coals. If, for some reason, there was an error, then they should have the guts to address it on here as well.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Like Matt said, if they are outed they may correct their mistake so that others won't get "tricked" like that in the future.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    Bummer Lintlin. Most likely what happened is they SAS rates but forgot that they have to update it on their website too. That is poor management for sure...not to mention lowering their rate by 7%. You did the right thing by attempting contact and then

I hope that manager gets back to you, but not likely.

You proved to them you can send them sales. Why don't you ask for the 8% commission? Merchants can override their advertised commission rate and offer an individual affiliate a special rate.

ABW Ambassador
    Which merchant is it? Was curious so I scrolled thru the 270+ clothing merchants and is it:

plussizefix.com which pays 1%

saw this other one actually pays 1 cent (yes a penny) per sale, artscow.com

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    I agree with Porkchop on this one - while it is obviously a problematic mistake/oversight/change (and one that should be corrected) - if it were me I would try to work with them first on a new commission rate prior to dropping.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Thanks for your advice, everyone! Yes, the merchant is plussizefix.com. The AM did reply back to me today that the 1% is correct, and thanked me for the sale and wished the best for the future of my site, as I had written that if the commission is really only 1% then I don't see much of a future with them.

I did as recommended, and sent SaS a quick mail about the matter.

Too bad, the merchant has some nice things for sale! But nothing like

I still find it humourous that he thanked me for the sale haha

lintlin

Am I missing something? I just checked their website and see no link to their affiliate program. Did they correct it that fast?

Here is their sign up page

I thought it was a good thing that they didn't have the affiliate link on the shop page. But as I said earlier, I had googled for shops with affiliate programs and came through that door.

Thanks lintlin.
    Brian, here's quoted text from plussizefix.xom's website:
    "As a PlusSizeFix.com affiliate, you will earn 8% commission every time a visitor originates from your site making a purchase on the PlusSizeFix.com web site".

It's shameful that this merchant can continue to carry out this action.
    I would hope that you will notify the merchant and/or suspend them. This is the type of merchant our industry doesn't need.

15 years and counting
    PlusSizeFix has a 10% Off coupon for their customers and pay 1% their affiliates...
    Something's wrong somewhere.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    I agree with Porkchop on this one - while it is obviously a problematic mistake/oversight/change (and one that should be corrected) - if it were me I would try to work with them first on a new commission rate prior to dropping.
    Can you do something about this? I realize in SAS itself it says 1% but on their sign up page http://www.plussizefix.com/plus-size...ffiliates.aspx

it mentions 8% not once but twice with a link to their SAS program. If you notify them that this is causing confusion with affiliates in your network and they need to decide one way or another or risk removal from your network. Because it is kind of like a bait and switch.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Trust,

I already emailed them about it - but also remember that it isn't linked from their site. It is possible that they removed it long ago and didn't realize it was still findable through search, etc...

I think it is a little quick to jump to the conclusion that they are intentionally misleading people ...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    Trust,

I already emailed them about it - but also remember that it isn't linked from their site. It is possible that they removed it long ago and didn't realize it was still findable through search, etc...

I think it is a little quick to jump to the conclusion that they are intentionally misleading people ...
    Point taken.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread