I need a new computer
    My computer that I have is a desk top that I bought at CompUSA in 2002. It has become increasingly slow so I think it's time to buy a new one. I'm not a laptop fan so I am looking for a desk top. I mainly use it for working on my websites. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

Dell Outlet.

Exclamation
    Quote Originally Posted by boningroup
    My computer that I have is a desk top that I bought at CompUSA in 2002. It has become increasingly slow so I think it's time to buy a new one. I'm not a laptop fan so I am looking for a desk top. I mainly use it for working on my websites. Anyone have any suggestions?
    if it has Windows XP on it, run windoctor and see if it improves.

[edit] there are three versions; so get the right one.
    Last edited by Herb ԿԬ; September 22nd, 2009 at 08:15 PM.

http and a telephoto
    Get a good desktop, state of the art for today and it will be good to you for several years into the future. You can use your current desktop as a secondary computer to run tasks while you are flying on the new one. I like my HP desktops, but truly brand probably doesn't matter as long as you get a name and not a generic.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    If you're getting a PC, you might wait until end of October (22 I think) for Windows 7 to come out. It's gotten lots of good reviews so far.

get a new unit so you can keep up with the latest.. your current computer will then serve as your back up or something you may want to use it with

I had a Dell computer and it did not work more than it did work. I had to call Dell every week with a new problem with it. New Mother Board 2 times, new fan, new ram chips, new internet connection hardware, new keyboard, monitor went out, new CPU, they had to replace the hard drive 2 times, etc. I went through this with Dell for 2 years.

I finally gave up on them and got a HP computer. I've had it for 3 years now and I have never had any kind of problems with it. It still runs just like it did the day I bought it.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Mac.

Affiliate Manager
    I don't think Dell is that great either. HP has a good line.

I have had my HP Desktop for about four years. Upgraded a few things over the years and never had any problems. Waiting for the release of Windows 7 to finally upgrade to a new quad core and put this one as a webrowser/backup for my wife lol. At work we have some great dell's but I still like the HP better.
    Macs are great. We have a couple Macbooks at home. Great for media stuff and travel. But when it comes down to work I enjoy the PC.
    Last edited by PDXreader; September 23rd, 2009 at 01:13 PM. Reason: bad word usage....illiterate.
    J. Duffield Affiliate Manager at Snow Consulting
    Let's Connect-PassTheSEO|#GSEG|Twitter|LinkedIn|Blog "Knowledge is Power."

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Get a Dell. I am still running an older PC from Dell and it runs. 99.995% of dells are great but you have 0.005 that gives you problems.

I used to do purchasing for my college and we would buy like 400 dells at a time or build PC from scratch. Dell are much more reliable in comparison to Gateways or some custom built PC. Prior to that Gateway ruled.

Check out Dell Small Biz too, it is sometimes cheaper and you do not need to have a biz to buy off that site

I have a Dell Precision Workstation - it's a big, expensive beast but fast. I run XP on it rather than Vista. The machine itself is great.. but the problem is that Dell sucks. They didn't ship me what I ordered and then came up with a series of increasingly bizarre excuses and even forged some paperwork, until I threatened to report them to the police for fraud.

So, Dell make great machines but can be a shitty company.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Just curious: Why don't you like a laptop?

I have a Toshiba 17" Satellite L355D and love it. I have a wireless keyboard and USB mouse - this gives it the desktop feel but I still have portability. And the screen is large enough for my aging eyes. Also have the non-glossy screen to cut glare.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

If you're getting a PC, you might wait until end of October (22 I think) for Windows 7 to come out. It's gotten lots of good reviews so far.
    Definitely worth the wait. Windows 7 has many good features that MSFT finally incorporated to their OS! I have been running the beta for a few months now and LOVE it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    Horrible keyboards, not big enough. Keyboard too near to screen. Screens not big enough - I run a 22" wide and a 19" standard ratio next to it.

More expensive for same spec, not easy to upgrade, less connections and drives/USB's/card reader etc.

Mobilty is irrelevant for me however.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Ward
    Horrible keyboards, not big enough. Keyboard too near to screen. Screens not big enough - I run a 22" wide and a 19" standard ratio next to it.

More expensive for same spec, not easy to upgrade, less connections and drives/USB's/card reader etc.

I agree on the keyboards. That is why I have a wireless. This allows me to have the keyboard back where I want it. The 17" I have is pretty big but if I had to go bigger than I guess I would be out of luck or would have to use an add-on display. With respect to price, my laptop was $499 I believe. Hard to get too much cheaper than that. My computer is not one that would lend itself to gaming or high ram use, but I don't require that. For me, having a computer that I can pack up if needed is a real plus. Also, with a laptop, if a thunderstorm is in the area, I just pull the power and work off my battery - something I could not do with my old computer. And I have a great power supply surge protector - I just don't trust it (or anything) with lightning.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    I'm set in my ways. I have tried a laptop and have found them to small for my aging eyes and I hate the mouse pad. I prefer the mouse itself. Also, since it is portable, I would probably carry it with me everywhere I go. With a desktop, I can walk away from it.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by boningroup
    I'm set in my ways. I have tried a laptop and have found them to small for my aging eyes and I hate the mouse pad. I prefer the mouse itself. Also, since it is portable, I would probably carry it with me everywhere I go. With a desktop, I can walk away from it.
    I used a laptop as my main computer a few times in the past few years. While it was ok, I *love* my 30" monitor and the speed of my desktops. I have 2 HP desktops, and I had a 3rd that died *not* of natural causes, lol. I blew the mother board by not turning it off when I touched something inside I shouldn't have (shhhh I never told nyfalcon I killed it, just told him it died and I *had* to get another that day....)

As far as waiting for Windows 7, I have a feeling most are going to need an "upgrade", too many existing computers with vista already installed. I did see a few with "free upgrade to Windows 7" in the ads or in the store. I've heard it's great, but with anything, getting it when it first comes out isn't always the greatest idea anyways.

I'd get a new, powerful, Intel HP now. I had an Athlon and liked it, but the Intel is faster overall.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Ward

Similar spec to mine, two screens can make a real difference. Oh yeah, USB card reader in the front, lots of space of hard disks, decent speakers, a proper keyboard.. and you usually get more powerful processors too.

I have a laptop as well though...
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread