Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I need to build some sites outside of my own little empire. Do search engines crawl, include and rank free sites? If so which free sites have the best results?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Yes they do crawl and rank them. I had great luck with Prohosting.com which used to display banners on my page. For $10.00 lifetime fee they removed their stupid banners. Unfortunately I don't see their free hosting plan listed at their homepage anymore.

ABW Ambassador
    I have stumbled upon a few that don't get crawled. Just do an "allinurl" check on the host's main domain to see if the subdomains show up.

The best deal I've seen so far is Hostrocket. 1.5 gigs of bandwidth and they just put a fairly inconspicious link at the bottom of each page.

Don't do it!

Come on ... add it up!

Domain for a year = 10 bucks

Monthly hosting = less than 10 bucks

Total monthly cost = less than 11 bucks a month

You will get better results, look more professional and not have to worry about "other" banners on "your" site.

What if the company you end up building a large site pulls the plug on you 6 months later?

Cheers,

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Try freewebs.com

Uptime is very good
    A small text info on bottom only requirement

Does get crawled
    Only bad thing can only upload 1 file at a time unless you pay a small fee for ftp access

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    You may also do what I ended up doing is finding a hgosting place with reseller account for 25 - 35 per month and just use all the space for yourself.
    That 10 to 11 per month really adds up and takes its toll once you start multiplying all the sites you have

Guys,

All your really need from a site is a couple of purchases per month and you break even... after that your in profit.

$12 a month?? Come on!

Plus, it is a business expense! Now your only out of pocket the cost of a cheap lunch.

Just my view point....

Cheers,

The paln is NOT to make them into affiliate sites. It is to put up a lot of sought after content material with the potential of getting high PR for relevant terms. That will get the pages seen and linked from many other sites. Then, I will have my sales pages linked on each free site thus having more indirect links to the new sites I am making.

This should add a nice chain to my sales pages which have become too inbred and cross linked.

I think these pages can get high PRs and I need more links so I will make them myself. I will have much better control that way.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I'm with Brian on this one. One of the hosts I deal with has a shared plan with 500megs of space and 2 gigs of bandwidth for $4/month. It also has unlimited subdomains so you can just keep racking up the sites. I use a domain and keep adding subdomains for each unique content site. Works great for small sites.

I have a reseller account at another host I deal with that has 30gigs transfer for $15/month and unlimited domains.

At one time I would look for free hosts to build content sites. I liked geocities. I figured they would be around for awhile and I have plenty of great serps with them. The big hassle with them is that they don't allow FTP on the free sites so it's a bit of a pain to use their fle manager to upload the site.

Many of the free sites do not allow you to link to affilliate sites or run your own banners.

If you insist on the free host route I would go with geocities.

I was using the free hosts for innocent feeder sites like your plan.

In certain cases I was hosed because some of those sites bacame very popular and exceeded bandwidth limits. I also would have liked the flexibility to run banners in addition to just linking to my sites.

Now I just get my own domains and hosting for my feeder sites.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't believe SSanf said anything about selling anything on these sites. I have a few sites for local non-profits that I host. "$12 a month?? Come on!" If I had to pay that every month for each, it would add up, as WW said.

I do see lots of sites using free hosting in my daily searches on a number of subjects, often with PR5 on Google
    Wayne

i have always said "be in control of your buisness" get a dedicated server! as mentioned above you only need a few sales to cover the cost. with a dedicated mabe a few more. However if this is a business you are serious about and plan on doing for a long time you will end up with a dedicated server anyway.

My decision to get my dedicated server was one of the best moves i have done. I spend less than before and have complete control. If i start a new site i just add one, it's already paid for. TAKE CONTROL NOW it will be easier than later.
    dave

ABW Ambassador
    A dedicated server is overkill and a waste of money for many if not most websites.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    for some special purpose I use www.freeserevers.com. I also tried some others, but they are the best. They rank well in searchengines.

carneol

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian-www.my-affiliate-programs.com:
    Guys,

All your really need from a site is a couple of purchases per month and you break even... after that your in profit.

$12 a month?? Come on!

Plus, it is a business expense! Now your only out of pocket the cost of a cheap lunch.

Just my view point....

Cheers, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

$12 a month? For 3 years we've had EXCELLENT service from jtlnet.com; full ftp and ssh access php, mysql, postgresql, java servlets and JSP (Yes!) all for $7.50/month. But check out their '04 promo package for new members at $9.50! (We upgraded)

ABW Ambassador
    http://www.freeservers.com

looks like the other one is trying to take advantage of misspellings

ABW Ambassador
    Don't do it!!!
    Having your own domain is THE BEST! You want content sites, sure, it is STILL the best to have your own domain. I have several content sites, highly bookmarked....
    I say forget about free sites, but that's just my opinion, you will of course decide what you think is good for you.

ABW Ambassador
    I just looked at a high-quality folk music site hosted on Geocities. It is placed high in the results and has a PR5. It seems to serve the needs of the site owner and I have no problem with linking to it from my music site.

I haven't seen anything in this thread how that site owner would benefit from paying for something he doesn't need, especially the folly of his own dedicated server.

SSanf isn't a newbie. She's aware of her sites needs and how the limitations of free sites might fit.

Ignore the rush of others to spend your money on something you don't need.

Wayne

Still disagree ....

Ok you want a content site ... not because you want to fill the web with wonderful content but you want to link to your commerical sites .... right ;-)

If this is true understand that most free sites will post one or two banners on each page of your site. This could count to anywhere from one outbound link *which you don't control* on each and every page.

So while your not paying cash ... your still paying! Your linking to another site. A content site in my opion is much more work if you *really* want to make it special. With that being said your going to spend a lot of time (time is money) add more pages, asking for links, and updates.

I think your foolish to think your really getting something for nothing, what if your choosen host shuts down.... lets say you send off 500 emails to trade links .... and get into dmoz.

Think of the work switching over to a new url??!!!

If your serious about making money online in 6 months 10 bucks a month will not matter.

Plus .... why not add google adsense to your content site? Heck they love great content sites. I bet if you can drive 1000 unique visitors across no less than 25 pages you will make no less than $500 a month from adsense.

Don't sell your self short!

Cheers,

P.S. I have a dedicated server myself and spend about $500 monthly .... you do that once you have say 20 domains and sites up .....

ABW Ambassador
    I agree with Brian, adsense is excellent for content sites. That alone will recover any small monthly hosting fees and give you good profit.
    AND, if you ever decide you had enough, you can always sell your own-domain content site very well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I haven't seen anything in this thread how that site owner would benefit from paying for something he doesn't need, especially the folly of his own dedicated server. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that site owner using the site as part of their overall plan to increase sales at their money site ? I think SSanf is in an indirect manner.

SSanf- why not just register a domain and host it on your current plan ?

SSanf,

I think the free sites are fine, as long as they are accessible. I hate it when I get those messages that say, "This site has exceeded its bandwidth allocation. It should be available again in 2 hours" or some nonsense like that.

If you feel that the remote hosted content sites will help your sales sites that much, perhaps they're worth spending some money on to make sure they're available when your visitors want to view them.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrSpeed:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I haven't seen anything in this thread how that site owner would benefit from paying for something he doesn't need, especially the folly of his own dedicated server. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that site owner using the site as part of their overall plan to increase sales at their money site ? I think SSanf is in an indirect manner.

SSanf- why not just register a domain and host it on your current plan ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, that site owner is presenting strictly content. My point in mentioning it is, oddly enough, in answer SSanf's question about free sites, search engines and ranking.

Wayne

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    On a slightly different, yet related tack.....

A small yearly fee at ezboard.com gets you a nice forum, where you can link to your site. The nice thing is, they make it easy to exchange links with other related ezboard forums, which can bring in all sorts of free traffic.

So, you get a forum that has some content related to your niche, plus you get surfers from other ezboard forums dropping by for a visit.

They have a free version, but last time I checked - about two yearts ago - gator popped on the free forums. Still, after the small yearly fee, you have no other expenses.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> SSanf- why not just register a domain and host it on your current plan ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, here's my concern. Yes, I have lots of domains but they are actually, for the most part subdomains, if you know what I mean. So, I have a question whether the search engine really sees them as one big site all linked together rather than links from other sites.

So, I thought links on the free sites would be seen differently, more of a vote for the sites I have, especially if the free sites can get some PR.

This looks interesting

http://www.refdesk.com/freeweb.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast