Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Does a pure shopping site still work this days?
    I am trying to put up a new shopping site which is purely affiliate links. Will it work these days? I'm patterning my site after ecomcity which has withstood the test of time. Any comments?
    Last edited by UKJ; September 24th, 2009 at 06:54 AM. Reason: missing word

ecomcity
    As in ABW member ecomcity's site?
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Don't be a copycat, come up with your own unique twist. You'll stand a much better chance of being successful.
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by UKJ
    I am trying to put up a new shopping site which is purely affiliate links. Will it work these days? I'm patterning my site after ecomcity which has withstood the test of time. Any comments?
    If that's the site you're patterning your site after, you're doomed to failure.

I've found out the hard way that you have to have a unique idea. It's also really important to build special and unique relationships with your affiliate managers.

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    As in ABW member ecomcity's site?
    Haven't seen or heard anything of Mike and Charlie around these parts for ages. Have I missed something? Anybody see or hear anything from him/them?
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    He hasn't posted here in over half a year, I remember he was gone for awhile before that because he was going thru some serious health issues. I did see he logged into his YouTube account a couple of weeks ago tho.

This might be a more interesting experiment to watch than mine...................
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    There is only 1 Michael Jordan, no matter how many people try to copy him, the bar has just been set too high. There is only one ecomcity.com

ABW Ambassador
    What's the site(ecomcitiy) about. The front page looks like a site dedicated to sell suspenders. But then it also has 100s of datafeeds (I guess GC) mashed together with no real theme. Not sure how successful the site is.

ABW Ambassador
    It's not. It's a big jumbled mess, always has been. Also the worst converting that's probably ever posted here. It's why the first post is kinda funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    If that's the site you're patterning your site after, you're doomed to failure.
    Ahhh but it would be quite a lively pattern
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suzie250
    Don't be a copycat, come up with your own unique twist. You'll stand a much better chance of being successful.
    Searching the internet, finding something that works and basing intelligent decisions on that find, is not a bad thing in my book.

I didn't see anything on ecomcity that excited me.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Google hates sites like that. Google will rank your pages near the bottom of the barrel. And if you try PPC Google prices your adwords clicks out of this world due to the low quality score.

There was a time years back when that type of site (an "online mall") could make good money. Not anymore. Build a site where you can support it with related content or services, preferably related to your products. (How to guides, etc) If you create valuable enough stuff and info, your site will get natural rankings. Also, you will be able to get PPC at a lower rate.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Wow, I thought that might have been a joke site that someone put up or something. Really, I hope that was a joke about patterning your site after that. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with finding good examples of "how it's done" and then forming your own site based on what you like/what works. But wow, you have picked the wrong site to pattern after.

I have to point out, do you really want to pattern yourself after a site that features suspenders so prominently? And really, Free shipping with $75 worth of suspenders? It's like they say in the movies, "Can't trust a man that can't trust his own pants".

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I am trying to put up a new shopping site which is purely affiliate links. Will it work these days?
    Sure! But you need some sales spin. The search engines need something to pick up on. You will also need to get links in.

I'm patterning my site after ecomcity which has been obstinately kept from expiring for years
    Bolded part added for correctness.
    Don't pattern it after THAT.

An online mall CAN make good money, IF it has lots of links in (so it gets some decent SE rank) AND it doesn't send the buyers screaming for the Back button.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Sure! But you need some sales spin. The search engines need something to pick up on. You will also need to get links in.

Bolded part added for correctness.
    Don't pattern it after THAT.

An online mall CAN make good money, IF it has lots of links in (so it gets some decent SE rank) AND it doesn't send the buyers screaming for the Back button.
    How do you get links in to a site like that? You can trade with other Online Shopping Malls, but that trade won't get you much, if you can indeed manage to get a legitimate one. If, on the other hand, you can build a niche site with lots of valuable info and resources, you can trade niche sites or even get some natural links from blogs, related niche directories, or social bookmarking.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Well I've been thinking about putting up a mall site for quite some time now. The only HOLDUP is that I can't decide on whether to model it after Ecomcity or after Amazon.

Decisions, decisions.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Now listen, you guys, ecomcity has something most of the Internet and most affiliate marketing sites have lost -- character. Those of us who've been around here awhile understand that the emphasis is on CHARACTER, as in "Mike and Charlie" -- both of whom have real character. And, from what I've read here and heard here, both of them ARE real characters.

As for sales, uh, well, I really don't know. But the site really does have a character all its own, doesn't it?
    Generate more fake news.

Observations:

I always thought Mike could have made a ton of money selling parrots. Actually the suspenders or as they say in Europa, braces do sell.

Listen to Leader if you don't want to get bogged down in BS and acute stupidity.

Mini-malls can do okay, but I suspect a site where you can focus on ONE type of product or service with good content and links to the best places to buy the thing might make more money.

I was over at Sears yesterday to buy a birthday gift for a friend. It's right across the street from where I live, and I need the exercise that comes from walking over there.
    It was amazing. You could have dropped a smart cluster bomb thru the roof and NOT HIT anyone. The only people there were zombie like sales people.

So, I am not so sure, selling anything is going to work well these days.

The simple fact of the matter is that ecomcity makes more than 99.999999% of the members at ABW. Some who comment derisivly about his site do not do as well as ecomcity.

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by DressesByDaisy
    The simple fact of the matter is that ecomcity makes more than 99.999999% of the members at ABW. Some who comment derisivly about his site do not do as well as ecomcity.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by DressesByDaisy
    ?
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

15 years and counting
    I like Mike but I hope everybody at ABW is making more than him. I can say he started in business way before 99.99% of the posters at ABW. He's one of the first affiliates at CJ and LS (for seniority not earning). He made money as an affiliate 10 years ago but kept the same outdated model for ever and was slapped by Google a few times.
    I doubt his ecomcity site is making more than his hosting cost. It's such a mess only a Chinese can understand what he's selling (No joke, look at his Alexa Traffic Rank, 74% of his traffic is from China) http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/ecomcity.com

Well just to defend ecomcity, because they are not here to defend themselves....

Maybe they have the monopoly on the niche market for overweight Chinese who need suspenders and are looking for computers closeouts.

You never know...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast