Yowza - the improvements are great and much needed.

One question.

How do I determine my actual revenue for a past month - say August? I don't care when the transaction was posted, I care which month is affected.

The performance report, as far as I can tell, doesn't do that for me. The transaction report is sorted by transaction posting date, not sale date.

Am I missing something (wouldn't be the first time, not even the first time today)?

Thanks all.

Payments are calculated from the posting date - regardless of when the txn occured (event date).

Theoetically, it you run a report for August, it should contain only txns that were in your September check. I say theoretically because you may have had txns roll over from previous months (or even years).

The new system lets you always see changes as new txns. A txn that was batched on December 8 but the sales occured on November 8 will be in the December report. This also lets you run a report for "yesterday" every morning and see what has chnaged in your account since the day before. All corrections and any other txns that were posted yesterday will be in that report.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Don't get me wrong, I love the transaction report. It's a really important improvement, making the transaction report usable.

However, I want a report that tells me what I sold in August. Not what was reported in August, what was sold / returned.

I understand the important of knowing what I'm being paid on, but I'm looking to figure out how effective I am, which means I need to track sales by month / day / etc., net of returns, for a particular period. And since it can take a month or more for sales / returns to show up, I need to go back more than a month to figure that out.

Effectively, a report that shows all transactions (no matter when they were posted) between event date x and event date y, where x and y are more than two months ago.

Does such a thing exist?

[This message was edited by interested on December 08, 2002 at 06:55 PM.]

If you get a check every month and do not have txns rolling over to the next month, you should be able to run a txn report for November and see all txns that were in your paycheck. Corrections and bonuses entered before Dec. 10 will be reflected in your actual November paycheck. Since this reporting is new, I am not sure how you get an exact report that shows only txns for a single pay period.

You will need to play around with the reports to get a better feel for what you can get out of them.

The main benefit is txns roll in in the order they are created in our system. Corrections are posted today even if the txns occurred last month. This makes it much easier to reconcile. Think of it along the lines of a checking or credit card statement.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Hi

I'm thinking about this totally separate from cash, like an income statement on an accrual basis (which is what we effectively had before).

I've been playing, and don't see anything that does this. It's important to be able to tie my receivable to your payables to be able to do a statement for a period.

Again, don't get me wrong, as a transaction report it is great. Now, give me a performance report for August.

For instance, I want to compare December '02 to December '01. With the old transaction report, flawed though it was, I could do this. Now, I'm stuck, I think.

Any further insight will be appreciated.

[This message was edited by interested on December 08, 2002 at 10:03 PM.]

As I posted in another thread, does the following do what you want:

in transaction report, select August 2002, and then select "show which transactions=not corrected" and this should give you your transactions that were not reversed, minus your check from the prior month. Then you can run the report for "corrected" and it should show you which transactions from that month were reversed.

The first report will be your revenue report, and the second report will give you an indication of which items are returned / reversed.

does that work? It's not entirely intuitive, but in the end, it may be a more powerful tool.

Rick -

As I understand it (and my understanding may be all wet), that might come closer, but not be accurate enough. For instance, a sale was made on August 31, but it wasn't posted until September 1. That transaction will not show in a transaction report dated 8/1 - 8/31.

And, I want to see a report (just one, no math required, I'm a simple lad) for August that has all of the txns (corrected and uncorrected) that affect August.

I think I'm asking for a simple answer - how much did I sell in August (after all corrections)?

It may not be possible anymore, but it used to be.

Again, the new transaction facility is GREAT! Having it far outweighs having lost the "getting a true picture of August" report that I'm looking for. But that doesn't mean I don't still want the "true picture of August" report.

If it helps stir up the competitive juices, it might help to know that I can get a true picture of August with Linkshare and Performics and Befree. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I agree, while the new features are helpful, the fact that one can't run a report to see the actual transactions for a month (based on event date) creates some difficulties.

Todd - is there any way to create a transactions report based on Event Date? If a report could be run this way, I think we'd get to that old "monthly" transactions total?

quote:
    For instance, a sale was made on August 31, but it wasn't posted until September 1. That transaction will not show in a transaction report dated 8/1 - 8/31.

And, I want to see a report (just one, no math required, I'm a simple lad) for August that has all of the txns (corrected and uncorrected) that affect August.

Transactions are paid in the month they are posted not in the month it occured (event date). In your example above the Sept. 1 txn would get paid in October's cycle.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Todd -

While getting paid is really, really important, it's not everything. I'm not trying to figure out when I'm getting paid. I'm trying to figure out how I'm doing, and if what I'm doing is working.

It is really helpful to me to be able to compare one month to another, to measure improvements, changes, etc. I like to know my growth, month to month, and I like to know my growth year over year.

For instance, perhaps in August of this year I attracted lots of traffic through a new endeavor. That traffic buys lots of stuff. I feel happy. Unfortunately, it turns out that that traffic also returns lots of stuff or uses bad credit cards. So my net for August actually sucks.

I wouldn't know that unless I go and review August net sales. The returns may have happened in October. Currently, there is no single report to give me a true view on August.

wtjpm's earlier suggestion to have the transaction report by event date would work (and duplicate what you had before).

Another illustration of the problem. I just had a bunch of eToys / KB Toys transactions posted, with November event dates, 12/10 posting dates.

Unless I stand on my head and do manipulations with Excel (ok, I won't actually stand on my head), there is no way to judge how I did in November for eToys / KB Toys.

In January, there is no option of running a performance report for November.

I'll have to run 3 txn reports - November, December, and January, and the paste them together in Excel, just to see how effective my November campaign for eToys was.

To repeat myself, the new transaction report is right on. Much more info, much better tracking. But, it sure would be nice to have a report that allows me to see how I did in a past month.

Interested - excellent points, I agree with you 100%.

Todd - what would really help (as I mentioned earlier) is the ability to create reports grouped by Event Date, in addition to the current transaction reports grouping by the Posting Date. Is it possible to create the ability for the end-user to choose between the groupings in order to put together a straight monthly transactions or a GAAP transactions report?

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread