Stick with a program or use many?
    I was wondering if most people who use commission junction have one main partner that they advertise for or if they do multiple companies at once?

personally i have 10 small banners on one side of the page all advertising different companies.. is this bad practice or is it good to offer visitors a good choice of stores to buy from?

which is more profitable?

-mBenz-7

ABW Ambassador
    10 banners on one page is way too many.

And banners don't offer visitors more choices. Don't think that your visitors are coming to your site to click on banners.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mBenz-7
    I was wondering if most people who use commission junction have one main partner that they advertise for or if they do multiple companies at once?

personally i have 10 small banners on one side of the page all advertising different companies.. is this bad practice or is it good to offer visitors a good choice of stores to buy from?

-mBenz-7
    No. 1 - Products not banners.
    No. 2 - Number of merchants depends on the type of site. I have sites with products from 100 or so merchants, and sites with products from only 3 or 4. It is, however, never a good idea to rely solely on a single merchant. There are many threads here on how affiliates have gotten screwed that way. At least, have a back-up plan.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

1) It all depends on the site and more specifically the page.
    2) As a general rule banners are useless, text links generally have a much higher CTR
    3) In marketing breadth of offering is good (many merchants) but in sales it's usually better to limit the decision making process:

ie: would you like a, b, c, d, or e VS a, b or c?

What's most profitable in a nutshell and in generalities -- text links with sales text in the copy, banners are more design/filler/ branding and not really for clicking.

But the most important thing to remember is that you sent the end user to that specific page for a specific purpose, that is to pre-sell the item (or merchant / service) your marketing so it's more of a top down all planned out thing vs a shotgun marketing approach ... shot out into the cloud and see what you hit and maybe they'll click and buy something.

Without specifics, it's hard to direct / critique, so I hope this all make sense.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

thanks for all the good info!

I need to clarify though, banners take up a very small part of my overall design. I'm using 2" x 2" "banners" or "image links" (not sure of name) with the company name,logo and a catchphase like "save 20% on powertools @ toolbarn.com" then next "banner" for next company "free shiping on orders over 20$ at toolshed.com" then google adsense then more image links for other companies. These ads go down the left side of my page, only a 2.5" x 2.5" column under my nav menu.

for example, lets say im doing a review of a specific powertool, a dewalt 500xt chainsaw. What if I only have 1 company on cj.com offering affiliate links for this tool? Do I put up ads for similar chainsaws to fill in the space?

I would also like to point out I'm not selling any products at all, I just do product reviews and write articles then put up affiliate ads and google adsense code.

haiko, can I really put up that many text links?! they are so small it seems I would need to post 100 links to fill in the space of my 10 banners. I really want my site and ads to be setup as effectively as possible before I start paying for traffic. Would you (or any other moderator) mind if I PM you my site name?

thanks again!

-mBenz-7

What he means by text links @ higher ctr is when a link is integrated with the body content of an article or review, as opposed to an ad on the side of a page.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Try a variety -- also try merchants on various networks.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar

-mBenz-7
    IMHO, 10 banners is not enough if they all make you tons of mad cash.

Hell, get 20....

50 ...

10000 if they all make you money.

However, if you have them there and don't make squat, you may have a problem.

Use your head.

Every inch of space on your site should be worth something.

Use it wisely.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

"What he means by text links @ higher ctr is when a link is integrated with the body content of an article or review"

---------------------------------------------------------------------

could you provide an example how I can do this? Do i just stick a text link saying "buy the dewalt chainsaw here" at the end of my reviews?

how do I slip so many text links into my review without making it sound like a sales pitch and where do I put them all?

are there any services (which actually work) where i can pay to have someone optimize my sitE for affiliate marketing / adsense?

its hard being a newbie haha, I thought those banners would work well

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    how do I slip so many text links into my review without making it sound like a sales pitch and where do I put them all?
    Like this:

"I recently had the bad fortune to test the Klaveman chainsaw with floride. Of the 17 chainsaws I have tried out in the past six months, the Klaveman was by far the worst one. While The CNN, NBC, and Comedy Central chainsaws all offer an optional floride-off feature, the Klaveman requires that you use the flordie feature at all times. Blah Blah Blah."

The blue words are affiliate links. You integrate the links into your text, basically using them to replace words, names, etc. You can be very creative; don't limit it to just product names.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

thanks for clearing that up AH, that makes perfect sense. I'll definitely start adding those types of links. As for the banners, can I just leave those or should I put something else in that space?

here is a rough idea of my site layout (click to zoom):

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2142/57043934.jpg

hope linking that wasn't against forum policy you can see adsense takes up most of the space on the left. If I have a longer review I can fit 10-12 banners in that space.

any other ideas how I can optimize my layout, ads ect?

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread