Aff program for B2B marketing?
    Hi all,

We're considering a SaS affiliate program but don't know if our product is right for this kind of thing.

We provide small business marketing services - web design, seo, ppc, brand id, local search, etc. Typical account is $600 / mo.

We would like to pay for leads and would also give out commissions of between $100 and $200 for new clients.

Most of the active programs seem to be more retail orientated. Is there enough of an affiliate base for B2B services like ours?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

-MikeH

Those affiliates are out there, but the numbers are way smaller that retail affiliates. How long is your average sales cycle?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Kevin, 1 week is pretty typical. The process involves a chat with our design/seo teams and the client.

What tends to happen with any kind of program that involves a phone call (not sure if you meant "chat by phone" or "online chat" is that some affiliates grow concerned that tracking of the sale would be affected. Even if the merchants intentions to properly credit the sale are honest.

If you're looking at SAS, give them a call and find out how the "pay per call" action is working overall.

If you offer pay per lead, pay per call, and reward with a sign on "bonus", you've minimized the affiliate risk a bit. B2B is difficult. I've been doing some B2B aff marketing for about 3 or 4 years now, including running a program back in the day. It can definitely work. I had to work closely with the affiliates that did sign up however to ensure they understood how to effectively market that kind of sale. The ones that responded to my emails ended up being pretty successful.

Even promoting the program here at ABW didn't garner a large amount of sign ups though. The audience is much smaller. Advertising here is very inexpensive though, so the ROI was still great.

Your product will be more easily understood than the one I was promoting though, so your results might be a little better.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I agree with the above poster that one of your biggest hurdles will be overcoming that fact that most of your "sales" will likely be closed by personal contact and not necessarily through an online form or checkout.

B2B affiliate programs can work, but they have specific needs.

Thanks Kevin and Paul, definitely some things for us to think about. This would be a pay per call scenario, and I think we would do everything we can to make it worthwhile for affiliates if we do end up going ahead.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread