Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    TERMINATED AGAIN?? Yup, this is plain nuts
    Many of you graciously and supportively responded when my EPN account was terminated for being "related to a previously banned account" on August 23.

Well, the rejoicing at my reinstatement apparently was premature.

Yes, with no real explanation of what I needed to do to make sure I was not going to be terminated again, the EPN folks reinstated my account on August 30 or 31 -- and today I got another email from them exactly like the Aug 23 email telling me I had been terminated for being "related to a previously banned account."

Unfortunately, I had no email address or phone number to directly contact the nice young lady I spoke with to get reinstated in August. I did, however, have an email address for one of the EPN folks "inside" the organization somewhere -- so I sent him email this evening.

It's distressing that they never did tell me exactly what I needed to do to make sure the problem was resolved. They just gave me vague statements about not having my EPN account anywhere not directly under my control or some such stuff.

So -- I'm out the work I spent this month sending traffic and sales to EPN, because the email today made it clear that I would lose all commissions due me. Only a couple of hundred bucks. We'll survive that.

But what a way to run a business??
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    Gary, I'm so sorry this has happened to you AGAIN. Terminating people with no explanation just isn't acceptable at all. I hope everything works out for you in the end.

Sorry Gary. What a load of crap. WTG EPN.

Wish I had some advice, but that's just so plain stupid it defies me even making any up.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    Wish I had some advice, but that's just so plain stupid it defies me even making any up.

Kevin, gotta say, that comment really made my day.

And, msladybug, thanks, too, for your concern and commiseration!

Truth is, my wife, Shirley, and I have been doing some serious talking about this all evening, well, at least an hour or so since I opened the fatal email.

We're ready and willing to take the income hit and the hole in the monthly budget until I can get the OTHER affiliate marketing, blogging, etc., up to speed to replace the EPN income.

Don't have much choice, really, if they won't consider my appeal once again.

But, ya know, at this point, I'm ready to endure a bit of unexpected financial hardship for a few months just for the relief of being free of those boneheads.
    Last edited by writerguy; September 25th, 2009 at 09:38 PM. Reason: To correct spelling error
    Generate more fake news.

For what it's worth...

Sometimes change comes in unfortunate ways, but I have a feeling you will find greater success elsewhere

It's time to find new stores, products & opportunities..

Was behind on things so didn't realize you had been reinstated. Maybe, somebody made a boo boo this time and the email ya just recently got was a mistake? Doesn't excuse it and definitely not makin excuses for em, tho.

Couple of hundred bucks is a lotta money unless they can tell you their reasons for terminating you, they should pay you. That's just not right at all for them to do that. Not right at all how they've treated you period.

Wish this somehow does work out for you. Really am very, very sorry and for what it's worth.... They don't know a good thing when they see it and is a very bad decision on their part. (still hopin they realize that and you at least get paid)

This is just incredible. Makes you wonder what kind of folks they do want working with them.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    But, ya know, at this point, I'm ready to endure a bit of unexpected financial hardship for a few months just for the relief of being free of those boneheads.
    This must be what Pink Floyd was singing about.
    "Welcome To The Machine"

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been.
    You've been in the pipeline, filling in time,
    provided with toys and Scouting for Boys.
    You bought a guitar to punish your ma,
    And you didn't like school, and you know you're nobody's fool,
    So welcome to the machine.
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    What did you dream? It's alright we told you what to dream.
    You dreamed of a big star, he played a mean guitar,
    He always ate in the Steak Bar. He loved to drive in his Jaguar.
    So welcome to the machine.
    Pink Floyd and Welcome to The Machine Probably better off not working for a heartless machine.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Many of you graciously and supportively responded when my EPN account was terminated for being "related to a previously banned account" on August 23.

Well, the rejoicing at my reinstatement apparently was premature.

So -- I'm out the work I spent this month sending traffic and sales to EPN, because the email today made it clear that I would lose all commissions due me. Only a couple of hundred bucks. We'll survive that.

But what a way to run a business??
    But what I don't understand is, why you still have all these ads: (Not Yet an eBay User? Register Now -- It's Easy and FREE!), on your "Life in the Old West" site?...

You have a lot of content on that site, so if by now you know that you're not going to get any money from ebay, why do you still have so many leaks to ebay on that site?

Why don't you just leave the G. ads, take over those, now free ebay ads?

Only a couple of hundred bucks.
    That is not a little $. More than what I have in my epn. Sorry this happened again. Better now right after than right before holidays when you have spent months trying to bring your epc up and then suddenly get canceled. Good riddance I'd say.

John, love Pink Floyd. There is a group that is out there now that plays just like em touring now. They have been endorsed by the original Floyds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    But what I don't understand is, why you still have all these ads: (Not Yet an eBay User? Register Now -- It's Easy and FREE!), on your "Life in the Old West" site?...

You have a lot of content on that site, so if by now you know that you're not going to get any money from ebay, why do you still have so many leaks to ebay on that site?
    Actually, I have all that EPN on my site because I was reinstated last month after appealing and struggling with about a million emails and a phone conversation with the EPN rep. So from Aug. 31 when I was reinstated until TONIGHT, I've been doing some steady earning with EPN.

Now I got the nasty termination notice this evening. I'll probably continue hoping ( ) that EPN will say "oops" or something (not really likely) and reinstate the account at least so that I can get the $200+ I've earned since Sept. 1.

If it begins to look like I'll never get that money, then THIS time I'll just have to bit the old bullet and take the loss -- THEN remove all signs of EPN from any of my websites.

Ah, what a life. One more lesson for all of us "Old Guys" -- change is good, we must embrace change ... etc.

Or maybe that lesson should also be something like, "Huge companies are stupid, huge companies make idiotic mistakes and simply walk over us small-time affiliates ..." or something like that.
    Generate more fake news.

There seem to be several companies around the industry that are bound and determined to destroy their own program/service. It seems that if things are tough due to the economy they would be reaching out to build relationships not tear them down.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    At least this time they were correct. Your account is related to a previously banned account. JK

They really need to whitelist your account from that check.

But seriously anyone that thinks big companies are going to protect them and not smash their livelihood on the blink of a chairperson's idea is overly optimistic.

I like small programs where I can call or email someone.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    CRAP!

I hate to come in at 1 in the morning, after a night of great sex and partying and see this bologna....

I'm going to have to give this some thought before ranting on like I did about GAN..

Thankfully, I don't know squat about EPN and they don't make me a cent.

But I LOVE YOU my brudder and will do anything to help.

Let's just find you someone else to promote and put a link to your site on ours..

All ready to do it.......

...... get you some PR and mad traffic......

Help you generate sales for YOU and the wonderful woman at your side for the Christmas season and move on....

F EPN and feed them fish-heads...
    Last edited by RemodelingGuy; September 26th, 2009 at 02:29 AM.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Ouch

I feel for you WriterGuy

This is a consequence of companies growing too big too quickly and putting into place ill-designed, badly-coded, cranky automated processes in a desperate attempt to appear to have some control over the Frankenstein's monster they have created

Something connected with your account triggers the automated deactivation

Either the person who reinstated your account doesn't know how to prevent the trigger kicking in again, or it's too complicated and would take too long, or it isn't even possible, or they don't care, or they didn't know the trigger would kick in again, or they know they have a problem with that part of the process but fixing it is low priority, or the person who reinstated the account put in the appropriate request to a colleague to prevent the deactivation kicking in but it didn't get done for any of a thousand possible reasons, or, or, or, or, or

I bet eBay is in a constant state of fire-fighting just to keep the whole thing cranking along

Quote Originally Posted by VampireSkunk
    This is a consequence of companies growing too big too quickly and putting into place ill-designed, badly-coded, cranky automated processes in a desperate attempt to appear to have some control over the Frankenstein's monster they have created.
    That about says it all.

I am really sorry to hear that you are going through this writerguy. It sounds like your wife is wonderfully supportive which really helps, I'm sure. Maybe when it's not the weekend you can get this solved. It seems the work week out in the real world runs Tue - Fri - noon.

Good luck. If there was anything I could do to help, I would. I never dealt w/ eBay so I'm clueless.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Hey Gary ... Welcome to the club ... EPN only stiffed me for $1,300 ... Now personally, I can take it or leave it IF I get declined to be anyone's affiliate, but keeping the money already earned is just plain BAD business and for sure wasting my time is at the top of the list ... and of course EBAY does not care because no one is likely to do anything about it. But you can bet KARMA will eventually get them.

Now here is what you need to do: DO NOT CALL THEM. Write them a letter or if you have a lawyer friend, you write the letter and see if he/she will copy it on their stationary and send it registered to the PRESIDENT of EBAY. The letter should say something like: Pursuant to Nebraska Small Claims law, you are about to be sued for
    XYZ, then list the greivances. Ask for the money and make sure you have a contact
    phone number so their legal department can call you.

It may take them 60 days to get around to it ... but since you sent the letter they are on the legal clock so to speak. Do not do anything else. On the 61st day file a suit in small claims against them. Eventually you will get the money, since it will cost them more money to defend the action than they would have to pay out and the chances of them winning are 50% at best.

I have 10 more days to go before I file my action. Win or lose, you get to write the money you were stiffed off as BAD DEBT if you do not get it this year. You do need a copy of the EPN stats where they show that they owe you incase the IRS wants a confirm. If they pay you, you have to account for it.

Pull all your EBAY links and on your blog ... write a piece about how EBAY shafted you.
    Your cowboy site is perfect for Adsense type ads, so put the ones you have in a more prominent place ... you can have 3 ads ... put one where the EBAY was and fix the rest so when people view your site and read left to right, they end up looking at an adsense block in right hand top quadrant.

Since sales are hard to come by these days, you will have to do your homework and test merchants to see which ones are worthwhile or not.

Good luck.

I guess I'm just stupid, but how can someone scam ebay? It seems if you have sales, you have sales, right? What do they mean by being associated with a banned account? I'm trying to see eBays logic w/ this, but I don't get it.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Yo, Gary ... I counted FOUR Adsense Ads on the front page of your Old West site ... the TOS only allows 3 at a time unless they changed it recently. Plus, why do you still have all those EBAY ads up ... Does EBAY derserve FREE Traffic and Sales after how they treated you?

Quote Originally Posted by net4biz
    Yo, Gary ... I counted FOUR Adsense Ads on the front page of your Old West site ... the TOS only allows 3 at a time unless they changed it recently.
    I'm not too sure about this, but I think that even though he have four ads to G. on that page, I think that it all depends on the code of those G. ads...
    Plus, why do you still have all those EBAY ads up ...
    I was thinking that he could replace all those ebay ads with just a new G. search box...
    Does EBAY derserve FREE Traffic and Sales after how they treated you?
    That's the part I don't understand...

Either Gary is a masochist, or he's just related to Donna Summer... She Works Hard For The Money

Depends on Gary's schedule I would say. When he has time, I'm sure they will come down
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Yo, Gary ... I counted FOUR Adsense Ads on the front page of your Old West site ... the TOS only allows 3 at a time unless they changed it recently. Plus, why do you still have all those EBAY ads up ... Does EBAY derserve FREE Traffic and Sales after how they treated you?
    Three are their "ad units," as per TOS; two are link units, also as per TOS. But thanks for giving me the heads-up. I still make a trickle from Adsense and want to be careful to protect THAT account. Assuming I even can protect ANY account. LOL!
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    Depends on Gary's schedule I would say. When he has time, I'm sure they will come down
    Mostly it's a time issue. I've got around 15+ sites with EPN stuff.

Also, I'm struggling whether to really pursue reinstatement again or what. If I am going to try once more to be reinstated, then I don't want to rip out all the links today only to have to redo them (we're talking several hundred links altogether, spread over the 15+ sites) next week.

But, yeah, meanwhile I'm giving EPN all the free traffic. Admittedly, my sites are all pretty low-traffic underachievers , but I still hate to send clicks to EPN.
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    I guess I'm just stupid, but how can someone scam ebay? It seems if you have sales, you have sales, right? What do they mean by being associated with a banned account? I'm trying to see eBays logic w/ this, but I don't get it.
    I'm sort of in your boat on this one, too, leeann. I really have no idea what they mean -- other than the ironic situation andbeyond mentioned above: Since my account was terminated last month, then reinstated this month, I'm technically "related to a previously banned account" -- namely, my OWN.

As for scamming eBay, I've heard and read about all sorts of link hijacking, referring from a false account, or some such hijinks -- none of which I've done, and none of which I really even understand?
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    For what it's worth...

Sometimes change comes in unfortunate ways, but I have a feeling you will find greater success elsewhere

It's time to find new stores, products & opportunities..
    Shirley and I really are feeling this way about it, the more we think about it. I just received their termination email last night (one of the reasons I haven't yet modified any sites to remove eBay yet) and was pretty shocked to see it happen AGAIN.

I've never made a big deal about it here or on any other of the forums I post on, but I'm going to just lightly touch on this matter (mods, feel free to delete this if I'm out of line in any way), but my wife and I are both lifelong Christians. (In fact, we met at a Campus Crusade for Christ Bible study group way back in prehistoric times -- 1965.)

As followers of Christ, we have tried to conduct our business as well as our personal lives in ways pleasing to him. Part of that is seeking to do business as we believe he's leading us, or NOT leading us, to do. I really don't want to sound preachy here, but we're truly starting to believe the Lord may want us to move along and try something else: "new stores, products & opportunities.." as you aptly put it.

Being of much stronger faith than I ( ), Shirley's very positive that this, ultimately, is a good thing. For many year's I've teasingly called her "St. Shirley the Encourager -- or St. Shirl for short" when I've introduced her to friends. But I really mean that.

I am so thankful to have a great bunch of online friends like all of my "family" here at ABW, and it truly means more to me and Shirley than we can say.

So -- onward and upward, eh?

Thanks again to ALL of you who've read and responded to this thread. It means a great deal. And it really will work out all right. Probably not as we expect it will, but it WILL work out all right.
    Generate more fake news.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast