Shopping Cart Review - Volusion
    (I could have sworn there was an ecommerce section. That would be a better place for it)

Some of our insight as we compare Volusion Shopping cart to Yahoo! We have not migrated yet but are considering it.

http://getyourwebsitetoday.com/2009/...ng-cart-day-1/
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

More Volusion shopping cart updates, and a new player we have discovered - CoreCommerce:

http://getyourwebsitetoday.com/blog/
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Have you looked at bigcommerce? I was testing their cart out and it was some what like volusion.

Thanks. I have a trial there now also. Initially I dismissed them due to lack of an API. I might have to look again. I've read some less than admirable things about Volusion uptime.

coreCommerce has built in FB and Twitter support, and some other very nice features. It is PHP based, and you get FTP access for your templates.
    ---
    ---

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I'm currently using magento. Besides true support, it's a pretty decent ecommerce platform and open source.

Can't say enough about Volusion. While I was initially a little confused as to what I was getting at our price level, once I worked through that I have been off and running. Personally, I think it's very easy to use. Light years ahead of where we were with a Yahoo store, and no per sale transaction fees.

I haven't fully examined the "in house" affiliate program support yet, I think you won;t need that anyways, correct?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Magento is out of the running - we don't want to self host.

Yahoo! is what we have now. No thanks.

The more I read of the big V online the more complaints there are about uptime. Concerning.
    ---
    ---

I had read those too, but I haven't experienced it. Granted, we are SMALL, so the time between orders is much different than you would experience. I monitor for uptime, and haven't seen an issue.

Not at all saying it doesn't happen though.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Check the dates on a lot of the reviews, too Patrick. I had a hard time finding one written in the last 24 months.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Just wanted to add that I had a support ticket filed at 5:41 EST today. I packed up my laptop and headed to my neighbors house (backyard). The ticket was closed and problem resolved WHEN I GOT THERE. That's like 10 minutes.

That's good stuff.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Thanks for the update Kevin. We were completely sold on coreCommerece and I had a ticket in to close the Volusion store. Then we reviewed the flexibility of them again and did a 180. Put in ticket to NOT close the Volusion store, updated the DNS of the new domain to go back there, and put in a ticket to close the coreCommerce store.

So here is the plan for us if anybody cares.

1. Get our largest category of products up on Volusion on a new store ASAP
    2. Get through the holidays on Yahoo! for the legacy store, and then move that to Volusion after the new year.

I really feel the Yahoo! pain. On one computer we are trying to delete and reload products in the Yahoo store. It is taking forever. On another computer we are loading up several thousand products in the new store on Volusion. It is pretty snappy. Being alot more productive in Vol.

Also - if anybody is interested we are going to become a reseller also.
    ---
    ---

BFP: One negative I discovered last night that's not a gamebreaker if you track success with anything other than Google Analytics.

There's 2 ways a customer can review their order after the fact. One is simply to view it in their account. On that page however, they have the option via a small link at the bottom to "view original checkout page". That fires the Analytics tracking for e-commerce and goofs up the stats there.

I'll bet it's rare, as there is no real reason to look at that page again (all the information is already on screen), but it's hard coded in, and I can't disable that option in an "article" etc.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Thanks. It will be awhile before I integrated the Google Funnel.
    ---
    ---

I have not given up on Volusion yet, but I'd like your thoughts on my post "The PR Hell that is Volusion".

http://patrickallmond.com/2009/10/21...t-is-volusion/
    ---
    ---

I read that earlier (saw it on Facebook).

My site hasn't been affected to my knowledge. I do use a monitoring service, and there have been no connection failures. That said, down time is both unavoidable and unacceptable. If I saw a pattern developing with my site, I'd definitely move. If I continue to see RECENT and CONTINUAL information of outages on the Volusion platform, I'd consider moving before it affected my store.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

We have been with volusion for 4 years, so here are my thoughts:

PROs
    Extremely easy to use

No programming knowledge necessary, though it helps

Feature rich - they are missing some, but for the most part have it covered

Good support. i honestly dont know why all the complaining about this. Granted, we are on a dedicated server, so maybe we get priority support. But, we have never had a problem with support

CONs
    Fees, fees, fees - If you do any kind of volume or traffic, you will pay out the nose for bandwidth overages. Count on paying out 5-20 times the stated monthly plan charges if you have ANY kind of volume

Downtime and Server Speed - Yes, this has been an issue in the past month. Again, our experience has not been nearly as bad as others. I am sure this is due to us being on a dedicated server. Up until the point when V migrated to their own servers, this was almost never a problem

Overall, i would recommend it, but just know what you are getting yourself into. Namely the outrageous bandwidth charges

I have heard the issue with bandwidth is easily resolved by hosting your images offsite. We already had a dedicated server with the images on it so we were covered.

I'll probably use 3dcart next time. The only con I have with them is maybe the lack of a rich API. But I hear they are very responsive to cart customizations.
    ---
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by BatteryFuelPatrick
    I have heard the issue with bandwidth is easily resolved by hosting your images offsite. We already had a dedicated server with the images on it so we were covered.

I'll probably use 3dcart next time. The only con I have with them is maybe the lack of a rich API. But I hear they are very responsive to cart customizations.
    Hey BatteryFuelPatrick - Not to totally divert this thread, but since you mentioned that you host images offsite, i have a few questions:

1) Doesnt that limit the sizing options available in your images? Meaning you can no longer display Product A's image at 1 size in the category page, another size in the product page, and yet a 3rd size for zoom? Instead you are limited to 1 size across all three?

2) How do you call the offsite host server from the product page? Javascript? What field is used on the product page admin side? Is it the product_image_URL field?

3) Did someone implement this for you? Or was it relatively straight forward?

We spend thousands per month on bandwidth and would love to shave even a few % off that

1. It might some but I have yet to see an issue with it. You get two places to put in a URL for an image. A small version and a large version.

2. In the advanced options tab of a product use "Photo URL Small" and "Photo URL Large"

3. I eat live and breath coding and custom situations so it was easy for me. If I can do it with 40K products I bet we can get it done for you

If you don't know how to proceed or don't have the space let me know. I've got server space to spare and would be willing to help you with this - let's work out a deal. Contact me via PM.
    ---
    ---

Thanks, i would really appreciate any tips i can get on this as we have lost over $10k on bandwidth this year alone.

Unfortunately though, it looks like i am 245 post (244 now) of having access to private messages. Can i post my gmail account in here?

Catch me at patrick.allmond@gmail. I'll help you out.
    ---
    ---

email sent, thanks

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread