Merchant Fraud On SAS.
    I was going thru my list of merchants deciding who should get some exposure to take advantage of the holiday season and what to my wandering eyes did appear but a merchant so egregiously ripping off affiliates that I don't think I have ever seen anything like it.

Who are the bad boys: www.onlinesmoker.com

You post their banners and text links thinking you are going to sell something and when you click on the links and banners you get taken to an "Adsense Scraper' type site. You have ZERO chance of selling anything. And they get a few pennies or more from ANY click people make.

So what's the excuse for this Brian?

Two weeks ago I get an email from All Battery that I am being declined and ALL the money earned from FEBRUARY is being reversed. I write SAS, Neal says they will look into ... so far two weeks and NO explanation. Now it was not a big amount, but they got over 100K in impressions for one of their banners and more than 100K in emails to my email lists ... none of which are PTR or any other type of incentive.

But hey that's okay with Brian as long as FAT WALLET can use their tool bar to poach links and sales.

ABW Ambassador
    I searched for them but couldn't find them. According to archive.org, it's been a parked domain since late 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    I searched for them but couldn't find them.
    I didn't find them on SAS either!
    Attached Images Attached Images

http and a telephoto
    Such hysterical headlines. Any affiliate should check any merchant before they put up links. If you link to a dead domain, that isn't Shareasale (or CJ or LS or GAN's) problem, it's yours. If it went dead *after* you had links up, that's another issue altogether.

If you go looking for problems (anywhere at all) you will find them.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Maybe their affiliate program sucked so bad that they decided to park the domain instead. lol. More likely, it was overtaken at the expiration date by someone waiting for it to drop. A little opportunistic, sure...but welcome to the drop catcher world. A look into their history using domaintools.com should help you determine exactly what happened.

As far as the other merchant you speak of...sales reversed from February??? That seems a little extreme and I would love to hear an explanation on that.

http and a telephoto
    net4biz... you crossed a line. Do you feel like a big man now?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Moderator Note: net4biz, personal attacks are a violation of the ABW Rules. You're banned for a week. Take the time to think about your attitude here on ABW. I hope you come back ready to constructively discuss issues without personal attacks and other counterproductive actions.

Back on topic...

Examples like this merchant are one of the few complaints I have about SAS. Other networks enforce some degree of network quality on their merchants, but SAS seems to take a very hands off approach. As long as merchants aren't violation their T&Cs, SAS lets them do whatever they want. There is no active policing of merchants (that I've seen).

Merchants like this add no value to the network, and IMHO are a detriment. I understand SAS wants to provide a level playing field so that even the smallest of merchants can run a program, but there needs to be a line somewhere.

The hands off approach for merchants is incongruent with the strict rules placed on affiliates (which I approve of and feel are one of the benefits of the network).

I understand that affiliates should do their own due diligence about merchants, but I think the network should also maintain some degree of responsibility in keeping merchants in line.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

15 years and counting
    I'm running the Activity Summary Report quite often and it's a big help to discover closed programs or merchants with low funds. Smaller merchants need more maintenance.
    If you send traffic to an inactive merchant during 5 years at SAS, it means you're not doing your homework. This Activity Summary Report has all you need to manage your merchant relationship on one screen, EPC, Sales, Comm, Hits and the deactivation button.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    net4biz,

This program has been closed since 2004.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

ABW Ambassador
    The End
    thread closed

11. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread