My 1st Adwords campaign - a really basic question
    I'm treading into the unknown today, signing up for Google Adwords. I've spent a lot of time collecting potential keywords and phrases for the big day and have done some analysis to get some likely candidates: relevant to my site, oft-searched but not overly competitive.

My question is this - do I discard from my list the ones I'm already working on organically and just bid for ones that I have not tried to optimise for?

Say it's a meat products site and I've been working really hard on "organic beef" and "quality steaks" as phrases - all my linking, SEO and the rest of it is based on these two phrases. When I start my Adwords campaign do I just bid on the ones that are on my site and I want to sell but I've made no effort on like "organic pork" and "pork chops"?

I probably haven't explained this very well but if anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.

Don't start any campaign yet.

Search this forum, read and research.

Search for "adwords" by the user 'Donuts'.

Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

Thanks Schooner I'll check it out. I'm not rushing into Adwords on a whim. I have thought about it and am just dipping my toes in the water for now.
    Cheers

You have received excellent advice. Don't be in a hurry to lose money.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Personally I wouldnt worry about whether you made an effort to rank with SEO or not.

I would only try to make that decision if you are currently ranking for something with SEO.

If you have a lot of traffic you can turn off the PPC and see what the amount of lost traffic is if you just let people look at the SEO results of your site and see how much end up on the site anyways.

If you set up analytics properly you can also split test what a PPC visitor is like versus an SEO visitor. See if conversions or time on site is better.

Good Luck and dont be afraid to start small and possibly pause the campaigns while you look over the data you get. Maybe set a daily spend of what you are comforable with and set the campaigns to go for a day or a week. Make sure you are getting full data so you can decide if you want to do it more.

Good Luck

Just in case you are thinking of advertising 'cpa' type offers or 'thin affiliate pages', (not saying you are) you might want to rethink that.

Google seems to be going on an adwords ban binge.

http://www.google.com/search?q=New+r...ient=firefox-a

You'd probably be better off going after the keywords you've already optimized with some SEO now. Adwords is slowly going quite insane with their rules and now you have to be a mini seo pro to ever succeed with them for ppc.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread