I almost bought it out from under him but I guess it is in some kind of a grace period or something!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Must have been a good one for you to consider swiping it. Didn't I hear something a while back that Microsoft forgot to renew their domain name and it was bought up by someone? Don't know if that was true or not.

ABW Ambassador
    Most registrars send out a courtesy email before the domain is about to expire, many even send out a postal letter...
    There is not much excuse to miss renewing your domain, unless you're dealing with some crap registrar.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Must have been a good one for you to consider swiping it. Didn't I hear something a while back that Microsoft forgot to renew their domain name and it was bought up by someone? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what I remember, many years ago Microsoft forgot to renew their registration for MSN.COM. Some lady in Tennessee, I believe, bought it out. Suppose Microsoft could have gotten it back for free but it would have taken a while to get it. Think she was paid like $1 million to return the name to Microsoft.

Well if he doesn't renue it, I AM going to buy it.

Meanwhile, I made a whole new site yesterday, bought a domain and so forth and it is full of broken images and products!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

http and a telephoto
    Someone we should know about??? Indy or network?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

OK, he has responded. He says, "We had a hard drive failure on the server."

So why does nameboy show the domain as available??

Registrars usually send you several notices that a domain needs to be renewed.

Then, they normally have about a 30-40 day grace period before it is "suppose" to drop.

But these days, Some registrars are holding domians for extremely long periods of time before ever letting them actually drop. It could be due to a lack of follow through on their part, but I suspect they may have other reasons for holding them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Must have been a good one for you to consider swiping it. Didn't I hear something a while back that Microsoft forgot to renew their domain name and it was bought up by someone? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually I believe it was passport.com, oh yes here we are: http://news.com.com/2100-1023-234907.html

Hotmail was saved by a *Linux* user. Hmmm.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

I almost lost a really good domain because my contact information was wrong at the registrar. I didn't know what was going on until the site came down. To make matters worse I forgot where I registered it.

I now register all of my domains under the same account and I keep a spreadsheet that I periodically review.

I've had clients forget to renew their domains as well. And the registrar (i think netsol) sends out snailmail and email to remind people.

I had a recent panic after stupidly missing several domain renewals.

Thankfully they were registered at namecheap.com, as they pointed me to the "reactivate" tab in my account and there they still were.

Best of all, after hearing horror stories about costs of reclaiming domains in the redemption period, it only cost the same $8.88 to reactivate the domains.

I've since got one of those $6.95 enom accounts, and auto-renew is an option I'll certainly use there.

http and a telephoto
    Yeah, I have a love-hate relationship with enom's autorenew feature Most of the time it is great, but thank goodness they warn you before they renew, so you have time to cancel ones you don't want any longer!!!!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thats the problem, they start sending renewal notices 6 months before the expiration date. By the time the real one arrives you have ignored it so long you forget.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread