Greetings,
    I have a question for anyone with more experience than I do.When we first started as affiliates, with linkshare, they gave us the requirements for merchant approvals. Iniatially, we built 3 yahoo, tripod and angefire, and received approvals from some.Then we added performics, cj, quin st. and sas, and we invited to several independents. We still didn't know how the public finds the ads, was it in the search box, with good search engines or not, no answer, then we contacted verisign, they gave us an easier url, and 36 more search programs, this helped, we started to get sales and earnings, this was way before we knew of the parasites, so we added ad aware to quarantine the parsaites. Our traffic is climbing on all 3 websites, when we check the big stores, most are browsing, that and a shopping comparison was part of our offline business. I think the economy, unemployment has cut into shpping.Almost everyday, another merchant has dropped out of the program, and many are lowering their commisions, claiming the affilaite program isn't paying them returns. I ask you all for a response, the home pages and links work fine, I am at an age 71, where there aren't any jobs, not even minimum wage part time, i was told I am overqualified, no point agrueing with the hiring people, they don't make company policy. like everyone else, we have cost of living to pay, and fule through the roof, will increase that.Please, no sarcasm, only looking for constructive answers, since we are all in the same boat.
    jj

ABW Ambassador
    James, Midnight Cafe

I don't see that many merchants "dropping out," which reminds me . . .

If the merchants are in CJ, it could be because they have issued a change (better or worse) to the deal and they offered a chance to respond and you didn't.

At the bottom of CJ's entry page is a group of links, the top one says "Review offers pending your approval." One has to check that every few days because no response on your part causes the merchant to send an internal email dropping you. They may, of course, sneak you back on their list months later.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I think the economy, unemployment has cut into shpping. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes! Finally someone else sees it! Plus it's an election year. The last election year was no good for business either. It'll get worse as the day gets closer...

But type like mad even when nothing seems to come of it, because last time, there was a nice SPIKE once the election was finally decided. So you'll want to be in position to take advantage of that.

As for the economy, one good thing about being an affiliate is there's opportunities to make commissions no matter what the economy's doing. In times like this, the discount/sale/coupons angle starts to cook. When the economy is better, the more expensive stuff sells well.

If you watch the stock market, you can get a lot of clues. When the discounters are lagging, it's time for the more expensive stuff. But when the discounters are rising, get the discount stuff going on your own site. (Ignore flukey event-related results, of course.)

Discounters are rising...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I think the economy, unemployment has cut into shpping. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't necessarily agree with that. The economy is no worse now than it has been over the past 2 years or so. While it is far from great, the economy judging by the govt. numbers (if you believe them) is sort of hobbling along like it has been for the past 2 years.

I've seen strong sales this month on my main site. Things were a bit down in late January and early February, but that was to be expected on my site, which caters more to the summer related crowd.

It could be that what you are selling on your site just may not be "right" for this time of year.

March got off to a rotten start, but it's picked up quite nicely. We're looking at our second or third best month of the fiscal year.

By the way, a lot of our advertisers have been warming up to some of our premium (read: more expensive) packages, a sign that they expect things to pick up in the near future.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    James
    Many times you have posted about poor sales etc
    If it isn't an issue with you may I suggest going into the site review section post the site URL and ask for someone to review your site

Maybe something isn't right with coding or a revamp of the site may help it convert more sales for you.
    It may be a good initial step to growing your sales.

No Herb, these are in Linkshare and Performics, I dropped cj altogeher, As I had mentioned at an earlier date, we had some large sales with cj, but no checks, and then we heard about the parasites, and our clicks are rising, on all 3 websites.Thanks for your reply
    jj

I don't know where the site review section is, but I would be happy to do so,
    jj

ABW Ambassador

First let me thank the many members who responded. I believe Sandra is right, our yahoo
    homepage is too long, and a bit hokey, we will have to rebuild that.We found, through trial and error that large banners take too long to open, so we are using 1 small logo, and then text, it has ads opening faster. Our tripod and angelfire sites link to yahoo, since we had that first.We had read many articles from people like Ken Mcavoy, and save them in add tips. Poor Richards giude to ecommerce has a section regarding spamming, and to him it;s ok, so when the book was written, maybe the powers that be, didn't check, I also think we may have too many merchants, the search engines work, but it takes time to scroll down the 3 shopping indexes we use, one for safe shopping and saving, csince we feel a lot of peole are afraid of giving thier credit or check numbers online, and home care center for the load of home improvment products and services we list.So, again, thanks, and we will rebiuld yahoo again, it's long because we have too many merchants, we try to keep low cost and high cost items, but some merchants are still wayabove the budgets of those we know.
    jj

The need to earn never stops until your gone. The computer was to help my wife and I get out of PA&gt;, where the people there made it clear they don't like outsiders, we found the place, and now we have to pay, the Funeral, and sending her back to the family plot in Ireland, were high. Everything I did was trial and error.
    +jj

we are still 'small' but sales continue to be on the increase

we sell product and do affiliate programs secondary. we have a handfull of affiliate programs that work for us but with inconsistant results

what we've noticed is that we effect product sales as we improve the site

affiliate sales are tougher - we've found it helpful to communicate with merchants when their sales slow down, reminding them about parasites - removing merchants that stop converting and promoting the ones that work more

Hi,
    During the 45 offline years, we recommended to retailers, the how, when and what is selling, and increased their profit margins, not just sales. it was all part of doing research, demographics, and comparison shopping, but online is a different animal, the web design technology is not our strong point. We are searching for an affordable design services, to earn a little extra income.
    jj

Hi,
    At least we did those things, when sales dropped, we deleted hundreds of merchants, especially those with service not likelty to sell online, like legal, credit cards, too many phone plans, etc.That part we knew about it's the damn websites.

jj

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I am not an expert, but I think it is safe to say that there is no simple formula for traffic. Holidays, for example, can be a boon for some and a bust for others. Search engine changes, influx of competition, even the season/weather are all factors. Click-thru and click-thru to conversion is heavily dependent on the "type" of visitor you draw with search engines or PPC (browser vs. buyer) and also the "trust" you can build in your site and the merchant.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread