• Sell it for $X,XXX

6 18.18%
  • Sell it for what you bought it for

2 6.06%
  • Keep it and resell or develop

14 42.42%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    What would you do?
    I picked up a domain (a darn good one with humongous potential) on backorder for a song.

The owner just called me and asked for the domain, he said he was selling his share of the company and part of the agreement included the domain.

The "problem" is that he told me that the registrar emailed the renewal notice to an old email addy of his, this wasn't true as his email hasn't been on the whois ever (7+ years), only the outsourced webmaster's. So I don't know if he was telling me a story or if he's genuinely not tech savvy. When I explained that what he said was incorrect he said he'd offer me a chance to "make some money" on reselling the domain.

BTW, The domain isn't a TM, they do own a related TM, but nothing that would affect the ownership of the domain.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    1) Make up a song and sing it with cTang
    2) Take him up on the offer to make $

BTW, I pretty much know what I want to do, just want to take a pulse of the forum.

(added poll)
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    You're under no obligation to sell him back the domain. (The fact that he lied to you makes me extremely unsympathetic to his plight.) So find out what he's willing to pay to get it back, and if it's attractive, do it. If not, don't, and don't waste a moment feeling sorry for the guy.

Everybody makes mistakes and some are irrevocable. I think we've all been on both sides of this type of equation. I know I have.

http and a telephoto
    If you bought it to develop it, develop it. If you bought it to flip it, let him make you an offer.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Is it not the case when an domain expires they stop point the domain to the website and then 30 to 60 days they sell it, so I am guessing his site has been down for 30 to 60 days which should of been more then enough time for him to get this figured out???
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

File Under "Dem's Da Breaks".

Reckon he can't include the domain in a sale offer if he doesn't own it. Sell it to him fair though.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

The registrars give PLENTY of grace period for renewal once a domain expires. If the other party didn't renew in time, that's his own problem and his own loss to bear.

I'd weigh out whether he's willing to make an offer that can compete with the potential value of keeping and developing on it.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

You don't have to be tech savvy (thank goodness) to know your email address. I know it's a drag when you don't take care of business and let a good domain go, but you can always pay the extra $$$ and get it back months after you lose one.

He was offered a real nice deal, but needs it back to get the deal. He tried to lie, it didn't work, so then suddenly tells some of the truth. I'd bet whatever he offered to get it back would be just a small percentage of what he'll get for getting it back.

I'm w/ Loxly - do what you want with it, but I hope you develop it.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

I had a similar thing happen to me. I bought a great expired domain on backorder. Someone completely different from what was in the whois history contacted me with some story and demanded it back. The only difference is, he threatened legal action and not a sweet offer. I can't remember if I told him to stuff it (with whois evidence included) or if I completely ignored him. Either way, I never heard from him again.

If you can make $XX,XXX, I say go for it. If you think the potential of developing it is greater than $XX,XXX and you have the time to do it, then go for it. Sometimes a quick sale is better when you don't have time to realize the full potential of the domain name. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you luck!
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Merchant Consultant Team
    1) Make up a song and sing it with cTang
    I don't sing a lick, lol! But I suppose I'd see what his offer was and go from there. No real way to make a decision without knowing all the details, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant Consultant Team
    2) Take him up on the offer to make $
    +1... flip it!
    Jason Rubacky - CEO/SEO Nerd at PassTheSEO
    jason at passtheseo dot com
    @jasonrubacky

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    If you bought it to develop it, develop it. If you bought it to flip it, let him make you an offer.
    I've got to agree with Debbie on this one.

He had plenty of time to realize something "was up" with the domain when it went off line (expired and then redemption period). He lied to you so there goes the "trust" or "sympathy" angle.

As in meadowmufn's example, I, too, had a similar situation. However, I had the domain for over two years - so I did tell the guy to "stuff it" - and never heard another peep.

If it was a domain from a small family business I might offer it back at a fair profit. However, the info you provided indicates this is not the case.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

FYI, they had (still have?) a cable TV show - the domain isn't the name of the show but it was mentioned in each episode - something to the effect of check out our sponsors page at XXXX.com - sponsors included Honda and others.

It appears the show has been dark for about a year, so I'm assuming the sale is to a much bigger co, for the TM and the domain, maybe some back episodes as well but I'm just speculating. Oh and they don't own their "TM".com they have only used this domain for the past 7 years which is a shortened version of their TM.

BTW, I never new any of this when I bought the dom, I just did a TM office search to make sure it was clean.

I really appreciate all the input thus far!
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    I picked up a domain (a darn good one with humongous potential) on backorder for a song
    Start singin' and dancin' your own tune with it. Develop its a bit, then sell it for $,.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

hmmmm.. this is a tough one.... but simple imho.

We have all owned domains and the process is pretty darned clear. If we have a domain that is important to us we watch it, and KNOW when it is due to expire. If we have a domain that is not all that ( say extras we buy to never develop ) and then it comes time to renew.. sometimes we sit on them awhile and then figure it isn't worth the $10 or so bucks it will cost to renew them for another year. The registrar gives AMPLE time and a multitude of notices when a domain is about to expire. In fact.. My new site, someone owned when I thought up the name. and I waited for it to expire... the redemption period to pass, and then for it to be released again before I bought it. i was lucky .... BUT that person had ample time.. but had held it for years without using and probably figured he couldn't scalp anyone for it, so it wasn't worth the $$.

I am thinking that this guy let the domain expire.. and then had an opportunity to make a buck on it AFTER he made the decision to let it go.

I try to be fair in all ways, and I honestly think you bought the domain fair and square, after he had ample opportunity to reclaim it.

Personally, If you are planning to develop it, I say develop it. If you were planning to sell it, I say list it according to plan.

Sell it to me for what you paid for it and I'll take care of the rest

I agree that he had plenty of time to renew. Sounds like he promised it with the deal without knowing the domain was gone. (You said he was selling his share). He's just trying to save his patootie on the deal he made.

If he only owned part of the business, he probably didn't own the domain. I'll bet that was a last minute request by the buyer, he said ok and now he's screwed. lol
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

Before you decide, ask yourself this question. What if it happened to you?

What if through some fluke abestweb.com expired and someone picked it up. Of course it's a different situation entirely, but it's the first question I always ask myself when confronted with this type of decision. What if it happened to me?

The fact that he lied to you is a big factor. It's one thing to plead your case to someone, it's quite another to lie while doing it. With that in mind, I would confront him with his lie and see his reaction. Then take it from there.

Another thing to consider, with all the talent in this room, I'm sure you could find some people willing to help you develop the domain. You could form a side business, grab some partners from here, go to town. Your costs would be minimal, risk negligible. If it doesn't pan out, you can always sell it.

Back to the first question. I would feel better about myself if I was to go develop it. I wouldn't feel as good about it flipping it back for quick bucks.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Since he replied to you that quick after you bought it he might be legit, so sell it back to him for atleast 200% profit, but if he protests then settle for 100% profit and send him and his buyer to abestweb.com tell them benefits of becoming future ABW advertiser.

You never know you may earn more from them later long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    Before you decide, ask yourself this question. What if it happened to you?
    The Redemption Period lasts 30-45 days after the domain expires.. So this means ABW would have been offline for 45 days plus another 10 or so days before it was available again.. so 55 days?

So that is the issue.. this domain was offline forever and not to mention how long it was available and how long H has had it... so two months or more?

Not like his domain was online with traffic one day and the next day, oops, sold to Haiko.. lol

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    Have him make you an offer and also ask to see the contract to validate his story. If he plays you (since he already lied) then tell him the new owners of the contract can come talk to you and you can "sublet" the space and share the revenue from the domain.

You've gotten a lot of great advice here so far from so many people .

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    When my last domain expired, as well as getting multiple emails telling me it was going to expire I also got warnings every time I logged into my hosting console and domain management systems saying "HEY THIS DOMAIN WILL EXPIRE IN X DAYS" so it's pretty hard to miss the fact that a domain will expire regardless of an email being wrong... so do what you want with it Haiko, if the previous owner cared enough to keep it they'd have renewed previously until 2020.

Cheers

Chris
    Last edited by Chris - AMWSO; September 29th, 2009 at 03:08 AM. Reason: typo
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    FYI, they had (still have?) a cable TV show - the domain isn't the name of the show but it was mentioned in each episode - something to the effect of check out our sponsors page at XXXX.com - sponsors included Honda and others.

It appears the show has been dark for about a year, so I'm assuming the sale is to a much bigger co, for the TM and the domain, maybe some back episodes as well but I'm just speculating. Oh and they don't own their "TM".com they have only used this domain for the past 7 years which is a shortened version of their TM.

BTW, I never new any of this when I bought the dom, I just did a TM office search to make sure it was clean.

I really appreciate all the input thus far!
    I would like to vote, but my dam zodiac sign don't let me, yet!

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Depends what the $xx,xxx stands for.

You're a smart man and $xx, xxx isn't that hard to earn.

Throw in another x ?

$xxx,xxx and you could be on to something.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Affiliate Manager
    Keeping it and developing it means risk and work. Selling it now means cash in the bank. Depending on the amount involved I would lean toward cash in the bank.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast