Hello,

I was just wondering......since a listing in DMOZ can reportedly help one's ranking in Google, I was wondering:

- Will DMOZ list a site that is obviously an affiliate site, even if it offers up original content in addition to affiliate links?

Just curious.....would like to know whether crafting a site with DMOZ in mind is worth the effort, or if I should just bypass them?

Many thanks!

-Nordie

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    If the site is made to sell design it as such
    Most aff sites won't get in. Some do but not many

It doesn't hurt to try submitting, as I just had one of my aff sites make it in unexpectadly

Content is the key - if you offer useful content and the affiliate links are merely an add-on, then the answer is "possibly".

If however the content is just sales spin for the affiliate links, then the answer is "not likely".
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

WW and Dynamoo are spot on. One of my sites is a content site with a few affiliate ads sprinkled in and it made it into DMOZ. The other sites are a no go. Good luck!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I don't think it'd be worth it to make a site just for DMOZ.

Make the site the way you want, and if they actually list it count yourself lucky! But it's not such great luck that it would justify the effort of making a site just for the purpose of snagging a DMOZ listing IMO.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

"Will DMOZ list a site that is obviously an affiliate site, even if it offers up original content in addition to affiliate links"

99% no. A heavy, heavy content site with a banner ad here and there may get in. But a straight affiliate site - even if it has 10 pages on the aff product and 40 pages of original content - will not likely get in. Unless someone finds a lazy or new editor who doesn't know any better - those usually aren't found in the commercial categories however.

DMOZ is a joke, sure it's great for incoming links.. how large do you have to be before you buckle under your own weight?

internet and volunteer don't go together when it comes to actual work.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It doesn't hurt to try submitting <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As DMOZ is user edited, you end up wasting someone's time. Having them do a review and reject seems a bit like forum spamming.

yintercept is right, if it's clearly never going to get listed, don't bother submitting.

You might think.. "what harm can it do?". Unfortunately, ODP editors are a savvy lot and if you really upset them they might track down and remove ALL your listings from the ODP and put a permanent ban on all your sites.

However, my number one tip for getting a site looked at favorably is to write a good title and DESCRIPTION that meeds the guidelines - two sentences maximum, no hype, purely descriptive and concise. Take a GOOD look at the other listings in the category to get a feel for the descriptions.

My number two tip is to spend some time finding the right category to submit to. Submitting to the wrong category can dely your site listing by years.

In other words.. spend some time getting your submission right. It may seem like hard work but it's cheap compared to a listing in Yahoo.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> As DMOZ is user edited, you end up wasting someone's time. Having them do a review and reject seems a bit like forum spamming. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see nothing wrong with a one time submission
    If it doesn't get in so what
    Multiple tries for the same site makes no sense

If it doesn't get in so what? Well I submitted a credit card site to DMOZ years ago. Not only did they reject it, it got white barred in google and stayed that way for years. I finally dropped the domain. I have to think that the google penalty had to have something to do with the DMOZ submission. It is the only domain I have ever had a problem with. Someone else now owns the domain and I see it still has a white bar.

After the rejection I built another similar site that DMOZ did list. Make sure you have some good content if you are going to submit to DMOZ.

There's no secret link between DMOZ and Google - DMOZ is crawled for links like every other site, and the Google directory is just a straight dump of the DMOZ one.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread