More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    My email has been just blanketed with viruses, many of which are self-sending themselves from my domain host out to people that have visited. Also get spam.

I have a solution: I have a page with my email address on a GIF image, so there is no way for it to be harvested. This is somewhat inconvenient but it should work to cut down spam as well as solve the virus problem.

Can I use a form to successfully keep my address from being auto-harvested?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Oh, I forgot to mention, I am using an email address that is not on my inet host domain - I am going to probably shut that email down completely. The email address I am using is scanned for viruses twice (incoming) and once for outgoing mail.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CheeseHead:
    I have a solution: I have a page with my email address on a GIF image <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you link that image to your e-mail address with 'mailto'?

I was getting so much spam & viruses and I had to disable my e-mails for a site. I'm also looking for solutions against e-mail harvesting.

ABW Ambassador
    I use forms with no problem plus they're more convenient for you site visitor. I hate my email application opening when i hit something like the Contact Us button.

To help cut down on E-mail harvesting, you can ban the bots that collect these addresses with htaccess. Search on your fav SE for "ban E-mail harvesting bots" or something similar, and you will find the ones already identified as bad. That allows your server to deny access to them when they come calling. If they can't get in, they can't get your addy.

I am also cutting down on the number of different E-mail addresses I use online. I used to have different ones for specific needs, but now I'm lumping a lot of them together. This alone has cut down on receiving multiple identical SPAMs on several addresses.

SPAM sucks, and until it is outlawed for the disease that it is, all of us will have to deal with it whether we want to or not, it seems.

I hate

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    I found this one. Would be interested in your
    opinons
    Hiveware Email Address Encoder,

http://www.hiveware.com/enkoder_form.php
    Cazzie

Here is what I use, and it works like a charm

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> &lt;script language="JavaScript"&gt;
    &lt;!--
    var name = "emailaddy";
    var domain = "yourdomain.com";
    document.write('&lt;a href=\"mailto:' + name + '@' + domain + '?subject=SubjectHere' + '\"&gt;');
    document.write('Contact Us' + '&lt;/a&gt;');
    // --&gt;
    &lt;/script&gt;&lt;</pre>

Of course, if the user doesn't have javascript enabled, nothing shows up at all
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

ABW Ambassador
    My advice is to drop those email accounts and create new ones. Create images that contain "contact us at whatever_email_address" and make the user type the darn address in.

This will eliminate spam and reduce the number of BS requests you get from ignorant users .

Many encoders can be be decyphered and as long as your using "mailto:whatever" they know what to try and pick apart. Automated email harversters are a royal pain. I used to be blinded by so much crap and I had to spend a ton of time just going thru the emails trying to not miss customer requests in with the junk and deleting them.

NO MORE!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andy:
    To help cut down on E-mail harvesting, you can ban the bots that collect these addresses with htaccess. Search on your fav SE for "ban E-mail harvesting bots" or something similar, and you will find the ones already identified as bad. That allows your server to deny access to them when they come calling. If they can't get in, they can't get your addy.Andy <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Andy makes a good point. I use the .htacess file myself along with a gif email address on the site. Trust's idea of a form is good too but I have no need for one at this time. I also have all email that is not specifically addressed to one of my domain email accounts deleted at the server. I never see the pot shot spam to anyaddress@mydomain.com. And lastly I use MailWasher Pro to filter and bounce the ones that get through. It's great to be able to bounce email and block whole domains if needed.

Good luck!
    Brad

I have been using the hiveware javascript and it works well.

The java script is really the only solution that is not burdensome (from a code standpoint), and will allow a visitor to click on a mailto: link.

If you don't care about people contacting you, the use an image, or fake the address like "blah@nospam.mydomain.com" Then you can make your visitors manually remove the "nospam."

Great fun.

Fred

my address is now only in a contact form - it has never been harvested - just make sure the address is in the script - not on the form page.

How to eliminate spam 100%?

Simple ....

Every time you have to give out your address - when you sign up with a new merchant, or subscribe to a newsletter etc - you create a unique address at your domain just for that contact.

So you give amazon the address ...
    amazon@yourdomain.com

The widget newsletter is given the address ...
    widget-newsletter@yourdomain.com

And so on

Now, if you ever get spam coming in, you can immediately see which scum bag has sold your address - and you simply block that individual address to stop the spam.

All your other genuine contacts are unnafected.

You also, of course, need to set up your email forwarding to junk any mail to the general 'guessed' addresses such as sales@mydomain.com etc

Spam used to drive me crazy - now I get about 1 spam email every 3 months (which of course I can instantly block!)

This is the BEST solution you will ever find - far better than trying to filter them out and possibly missing genuine emails

Far better than just giving out one address to everyone - and then having to change the address when it becomes swamped in spam - meaning you have to make sure all your genuine contact are updated with the new address

ENJOY A SPAM FREE LIFE STARTING TODAY!

I use a little javascript on all my websites to cloak mail addresses from the harvesters. I've never received any spam at those ids.

That said, I've started to receive loads of spam to a mail addy I only use for domain registrations. Too bad Whois can be harvested.

Fortunately I've got all my domains consolidated so I can change my whois info all at once. It's just another aggravation added on by that d**n spam!!
    CharPaula
    Staying focused on the bottomline

Thanks for the replies. I think I will use the image file with email address on it (manual entry) in most places and try the form with address in the script only in a few places.

I noticed that spammers don't even need my email to send email to my domain if I don't send unrouted mail to the trash in my settings at my server. I didn't realize this at first so I got a lot of junk that was sent to genericname@mydomain.com .

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread