Google Content Network and SID Tracking
    One of my Merchants at CJ needs to have transparency in traffic. They need to see my referrer to my LP and then to their own landing page. I cannot use a third-party keyword tracking system.

I am using the Google Content network placement ads for this campaign and my question is: how do I monitor which urls are sending traffic from the content network (adsense) to my landing page and subsequently to the Merchant's landing page. I realize there is the SID token but how would this be used for my set up? I'd like to see what urls are converting in the CJ dashboard for that specific Merchant.

Thanks.

Having transparency into your traffic would usually refer to understanding what messaging etc. you are using on your specific landing page. If I am reading this correctly you OWN the landing page and then refer users out to the merchants site?

If that is the case, you absolutely do not need to provide them any information on where your ads are in Google's Content network - to me it sounds like they are trying to get you to tell them about your campaign so they can pull it in house.

edit Might have misunderstood the original question. Is the advertiser asking you for tracking information or are you trying to track success based on different sites within Google's content network?
    [FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=Navy]Jonathan Claydon | [email]jclaydon@real.com[/email][/COLOR] |[COLOR=Gray] Director - Affiliate and Partner Marketing[/COLOR] |[/B] [COLOR=Blue]Real[/COLOR]Networks, Inc.[/FONT]

JClaydon,

I initially used Prosper202 for tracking the SID. However, this software requires a redirect to issue the subid and CJ didn't want that.

I don't think anyone can track referer to my landing page, nor should they care as you stated above. They were inquiring about the redirect. Right now, I am driving traffic from the Google Content Network blindly - meaning no tracking. I need to see the URL that the user came from when they clicked on the adsense and if this user converts, the URL needs to correlate with the sale.

Further, since the Merchant does not allow the Google conversion pixel placement, I have no idea what ad was clicked. How can these items be resolved?

Much appreciated.

The merchant is an idiot. What merchant is it?

Even if you do add the placement to the SID (?sid={placement} I believe should do the trick?), the merchant can't see it. Network quality probably can pull that up, but merchants in CJ have no direct access to SIDs or query strings on referrers.

Josh,

I appreciate the feedback. This all may be CJ's doing, not necessarily the Merchant. I don't want to name the Merchant since this offer is really doing well.

I will attach ?sid={placement} to the end of my destination page and that should track. I am also going to track my web logs to get an idea of customer behavior on the LP. In addition, I can also attach &ad=whatever to see which adsense ad generated the sale and that can be tracked in the logs as well.

I do that last thing... I assign all my ads an identifier and put that in the ad's url. If that variable is set when they arrive at the site, its stored in their session, and passed to CJ through the SID if/when they click through.

Yep, this worked. In Content, I actually use: ?sid={placement}+{keyword}+my-ad-name

thanks,
    Marlon

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread