Dropping PPC restrictions?
    Iíve been thinking of dropping all the PPC restrictions in my program. (I'm waiting till my head clears from the meds...)

I realize that Iíll be paying commissions on things I would not have in the past, but it levels the playing field for the PPC affiliates who are following the current T&Cs. (and keeps me from having to try to monitor violations).

Questions
    1) Would the non-PPC affiliate care?
    2) Is there a downside to this? (other than overall higher commission payments)

Any ideas, thoughts?

Lightbulb
    are you bidding within your own program? if so you might want to still restrict ppc bidding to a set amount.

the thought was to not bid against the affiliates (let them have a go at that segment 100%), this way I'm not competing with them and can focus on all the other things that need done. (like now I'm already working on Valentine's & the flu)

There is a risk that your affiliates may not pick up all your ad groups and you will leave money on the table.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I think you should exclude your domain or mis spellings of your domain or company name. That is no brainer for PPC.

Other than that, everything is fair gain.

Eric, That defeats the purpose, if rules exist some people will break them, in the research into my main competitor I read that they found it much more effective for them to remove all restrictions. (not sure what they do now.. but this was when they were building the program)

I understand what you are saying, the company/domain name is an easy one for PPC, itís also the one most often abused by some. Those Ďproblem affiliatesí cause the AM/Merchants to have to try to police/monitor the various ad programs. That policing takes time and money. In an industry like mine itís most often going to happen at the peak times of year (the week before Valentineís day is a good example), and during that short timeframe itís impossible to search every possible place they could target. Shutting down just one bad ad (they were no longer active with the program/network and the ad was dead-ending at an SAS not active screen) took over 4 hours, not the best use of anyoneís time when theyíve already been up for 20 hours for several days straight.

With Google allowing competitors (and their affiliates) to bid on my domain/companies name itís only fair to open it up to the legitimate affiliates., and if there are no restrictions then those legitimate affiliates can place ads directly alongside the competitors & I can focus on the business as compared to the policing of that segment of the affiliate space.

.. so if everything is fair game.. no one can break the rules, more people get involved and everybody wins.

"Would the non-PPC affiliate care?"
    Not gonna name any names lol but topic has been discussed and they don't like it. Personally I don't like it either.

Do I understand why you're considering it? Yeap

Does it mean I'd stop promoting your products? Nope.

I do care but as far as I know, you run your program affiliate friendly so I consider everything. That would be in the nope area, lol not thrilled bout area but overall lot more positives. So, even tho I wouldn't like it, I understand why you'd do it and will still promote your program.

Psssst I'm a big softie, tho. lol but then if for some reason I started gettin a whole lotta clicks that produced nothin......I'd start to wonder and then reserve the right to change my mind.

Hey Purplebear,

Let me try to get my flu fogged thoughts together on this....(so if itís more disjointed than usual youíll understand why...(I feel fine...just foggy))

A merchant that most affiliates view as seasonal (IE Valentine/Motherís Day easy sales) is always a big target for the smash and grab baddie PPC affiliates. The target window for those sales is the short time just before the holiday. Iíd rather have a group of PPC affiliates who have built solid PPC ads and campaigns than to try to battle it when the baddies show up.

I donít see external PPC campaigns as affecting initial sales from sites like yours, lets face it, if they know my company/domain name and they search for it, my site is going to show up first and thatís not how they find your site. I do see it as a negative that if someone does a search on the domain/company name either after an initial click thru from a site such as yours or after the initial sale. To my knowledge SAS does not have the ability to do any type of split commissions on this type of event but Iíd be totally be in favor of it. It would also solve the issue revolving around coupon affiliates when the customer bounces out to search for coupons.

My thought was that PPC negative keywords and restrictions attract the baddies who want to do the smash and grab because they think they donít have any completion. Since the program would not have the restrictions there is no open playing field for the baddies to play in. The more valid PPC affiliates I have the more the playing field is leveled and diluted for the bad players in the market. Basically using the booze analogy, bootlegging dropped way off after prohibition ended, and if you can buy booze in any liquor store there is little use for bootleggers.

I do value affiliates input, and the same question was sent out using the SAS newsletter function. Right now Iím just explaining the logic behind the request for input, and would rather not have to cut up the paying field, but dirty PPC affiliates are a fact of life in this medium.

Now Iím going back to bed...

If you are not bidding and using your own display URL, only one affiliate will get to use that display URL. That kind of deters others from bidding as the landing page relevance makes the top spot a lower cost bid. You won't have hundreds or even dozens of PPC affiliates once that happens. If you are running your own PPC campaign that does not overwrite cookies, then the affiliate who sent the shopper to search for your domain gets the credit. You would not need to pay commissions on shoppers searching due to word of mouth referrals. Google only allows one PPC ad to use any display URL, if that ad is yours, then affiliates can successfully campaign for shoppers who don't know of your site already by bidding on keywords other than your domain, the keywords that will bring you new customers.

Before signing up with any merchant I search for their name and an affiliate PPC ad using their domain is a sure sign that it is not a well run program. Whoever I introduce to your products might easily remember the name - that's what promoting does - but if a search for your domain name has a PPC affiliate ad showing your domain, they are effectively collecting for my work, and charging you for shoppers sent by happy customers too. It is not very uncommon for shoppers to browse at work and then buy later from home via an uncookied browser. Your own ad takes advantage of those uncookied shoppers, so does DTM PPC with your display URL.

I know there are many opposing views, usually from those who have convinced merchants that it is a good thing that they are "protecting" them. But the cheapest display URL protection is for the merchant to run their own campaign targeting their brands.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread