Affiliate Network Rep
    Fourth Quarter Tips for Merchants
    The fourth quarter is here! Which means it’s the perfect time to get the most out of your affiliate program. As retailers, you certainly don’t need me to tell you the impact this quarter can potentially have on your annual bottom line. But I can offer some tips on strengthening your affiliate program to help enhance the business partnership between the merchant and your affiliates.

I have attached a PDF file with some tips for the fourth quarter. This can be used as a reference list to help maximize the relationship with your affiliates. And as a guide to help provide the best tools in your affiliate program so affiliates can successfully market your products.

Have a great Q4!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanks!

Sarah Beeskow, ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: sarahshareasale | e: sarah(at)shareasale.com

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    From the affiliate point of view, Thanks Sarah! This is GREAT for affiliates to know that their merchants are doing these things
    **especially number five from the top**

Merchants - please read this and follow the suggestions.
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; October 2nd, 2009 at 02:16 PM. Reason: typo
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

http and a telephoto
    Excellent list that I will be sending on to my merchants so they can get me the things they need to so I can take care of the rest
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

http and a telephoto
    Are there specific designations for Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks! This is going to be my first fourth quarter as a AM. I'm really nervous about it but those tips help.

Sarah, do you have a similar checklist for Affiliates?

Thanks! Very useful info that I'll be putting to use as AM.

...to get the most out of your affiliate program.
    These three are the ones that are becoming more and more inportant to me lately...
    1. Set up auto deposit...
    10. Be sure your datafeed is up‐to‐date...
    12. List a clear reason for reversals...
    1 - Why keep on wasting time, and losing money, with merchants that keep going offline on a regular basics? - New visitors are becoming a HOT commodity lately, so it makes no sense to announce a good party, if the invitation will be sent to an empty place...

2 - Why bother with a merchant datafeed, if the merchant won't update that datafeed for more than six months? - (An exception can be made if the merchant don't update the datafeed, only if the merchant old datafeed still have the same products and the same prices, they are currently displaying on their merchant site.)

3 -Why work for free? - Unless the merchant can show a clear and valid reason for the reversals, after a few more questionable reversals, it might be time to start looking for a replacement of that (_____ merchant).

Thanks for the tips. It's helpful!

Create a storefront of products
    Hi Sarah - We are in the process of uploading all of our holiday creatives and I wasn't sure how to make a storefront.

We have made quite a few widgets and banners (ie.. Pet Lover Gift Ideas, Stocking Stuffers) .. but is there a way to upload a variety of storefronts with different themes?

Can you do this with the "form" special creative.

Sorry if there is an obvious answer, we are a fairly new ShareASale merchant.

Mary

Very nice resource Sarah. Thank you for sharing.
    J. Duffield Affiliate Manager at Snow Consulting
    Let's Connect-PassTheSEO|#GSEG|Twitter|LinkedIn|Blog "Knowledge is Power."

Affiliate Network Rep
    Hi again everyone!

So glad to hear the check list is coming in handy!

loxly, yes, we will have a designated database for Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals. I will be posting more details on that separately later this month....

GregRobert, That's great that you've already begun loading some seasonal creatives! Shoot me an email at Sarah(at)ShareASale.com and I'll walk you through how to create a storefront for your affiliates.
    Thanks!

Sarah Beeskow, ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: sarahshareasale | e: sarah(at)shareasale.com

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Excellent list Sarah!

I had actually not thought of two of the things on there.

Thanks a ton!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Extremely helpful Sarah, HUGE Thanks! New program in Q4...I will be implementing all of these great ideas.

I happen to like single product banners: A picture of the product on the banner, a reason for people to buy the product from you (price, service, free shipping, whatever), a call to action and testimonial from a known resource like Consumer Reports or JD Powers or the like.

The banner should be about 500 x 150. This way I can write some pre-sell content to place above it on a page and some more content to generate an action to buy it below. I end up with one page, one product, with maybe 3 links to the product one in the above pre-sell, the banner and one in the bottom pre-sell. It all fits in one screen.
    At the bottom of this page, I have an outlink - could be your 728x90 banner or Adsense or whatever, depends on what works to make ME money.

You can also do a banner with 2 products or 4 products but you want to keep the depth so it all can fit in one screen with room at the top and bottom for me to write content. You can do 234x150 banners so I can put 2 products side by side in a table or have two levels and put 4 products on a single screen page and still have some room to write some pre-sell.

Now I know this is like a datafeed, but I am not interested in anything but selling the product as opposed to selling your website. Also, datafeeds almost never are updated
    and most merchants have NO focus, they have to throw in all sorts of external garbage on the page.

It takes me way too much time to make the product banners, so most merchants get NO ACTION from me. I sign up look at what they have in promotion tools and since most are lame, go someplace else.

You can sell the products thru PPC and get decent rankings for products, if that is all that is on a page. If you have one product, you can focus on that product and go after people who want just that one product, plus depending on the meta tags and such, you can get an okay SE lisitings

If you have 2 different products, you can go after people who want one or both. Same with 4. If they are all for a similar niche, you can target each individual product and generate traffic for the niche as well as the products.

Also, the landing page for each product should be to buy it NOW check out and not require a few extra clicks and have all sorts of extraneous drivel to wade thru.

Now there are people who say this doesn't work, but I set up niche pages and plugged in two 250x300 Adsense banners side by side with original content above and below the banners with another Adsense banner at the bottom of the page. The pages got as much as 25% CTR - which GOOGLE couldn't figure out why? It was the page design. Same trick for EBAY widgits.

It's the page design that makes the difference ... people who are looking for specific products want to come to a page that tells them the basics, see a picture of the product if possible, click on the link - get the price and any discounts and check out.

For example: Phillips 32 inch and Samsung 32 inch HDTV side by side - if the price is right, and you hit the right PPC keywords or get a good SE for the niche, you can sell one in 20 viewers. If you plug in 4 brands, you get the same results more or less.

If you are reviewing one product and focu on traffic who WANT that product, you can sell it if the price and who is selller is reputable.

Most banners are worthless because merchants are advertising the merchant and not the products. People buy the products first, then they look for price, then they look at who is selling it. So merchants need to get a clue and start selling specific products that sell and stop worrying about having 1,000 items to sell. People almost always go somewhere else if their choices to make are greater than 6.

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    solid tips there, for both affiliates and merchants!

Affiliate Manager Bradley.Senkovich's Avatar
    Thanks Sarah! I've pinned those rules up on the wall next to my desk.
    I think Auto deposit is a God Send yes? I believe it's a necessity like O2 for a good program.

Net4biz. brilliant advice and commentary. thanks, and definitely taken to heart.

Thanks, again Sarah! This is definitely a print-worthy PDF.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread