Selling Dozens of Domains on eBay
    I'm dumping nearly all of my "stagnating domains" via eBay auctions this week. These are domains which I registered from 2001 to 2007, some of which used to generate meaningful revenue, but all of which have "languished" without meaningful content or revenue for the past few years.

You can see the auctions here: http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...rid=mark-welch

The auction titles are:

007MoviePosters.com .com domain
    123sheetmusic.net sheet music .net domain
    2 .com domains ScrapbookCritic.com Scrapbook-Critic.com
    2 .com domains: Gluco-Meter.com Blood-Glucose-Meter.net
    2 domains: Low-Cost-Inkjet-Cartridges.com & -Toner-
    2 domains: Low-Cost-Violins.com & -Musical-Instruments-
    4 .com domains: TIM-Store.com/net TIM-Movie.com/net
    BeltAndBuckles.com .com (belt buckle) domain
    Buy-T-Shirts.com .com domain
    Cool-Toe-Rings.com .com domain
    Find-Batteries.com .com domain
    Fine-Art-Repros.com .com art/poster domain
    Frog-Love.com .com frog gift domain
    Jewelry-Body .com body jewelry domain
    Lot of 6 .com Domains Baby-Memory.com All-Strollers.com
    Lot: 8 Domains MerchantProduct.com RetailerProduct.com
    Love-Our-Dog.com .com dog pet domain
    Low-Cost-Perfumes.com perfume .com domain
    Memory-for-Camera.com camera memory .com domain
    Paintings-from-Photos portrait painting .com domain
    PaperHandlingEquipment.com .com domain
    Photos-on-Keepsakes photo keepsake gifts .com domain
    Puzzle-Magazines.com Puzzle Magazines Books .com domain
    Team-Store.net .net domain

Domain Appraisal Scams
    Wow, I haven't received a "domain-appraisal" scam email in a long time, but today I received an email expressing interest in one of my domains, and I replied, pointing to the pending eBay auction for the domain name. In response, the person asked if I would accept $10,000 for the domain (it's currently at 99 cents) -- but then he directed me to use a specific domain-appraisal company.

Of course, I was skeptical of the $10,000 "offer" because my first auction for this domain (plus another related domain) ended this week with no bids, not even at the $0.99 starting bid (no reserve). I decided to re-launch the auction one more time.

Other threads about domain-appraisal scams:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=117569
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=87430
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=75575

Unhappy
    Most of my domain auctions will close today, and only 2 of 21 lots have bids above 99 cents right now. One is at $14 and one is up to $50.

My main goal wasn't really to generate lots of money, but to get rid of these domains that I'm not using effectively -- but I'm still disappointed because fewer than half of these domains have any bids at all.

* sigh *

Thanks for the reminder, I'll probably pass on the rest. I was halfway thinking about the scrapbook site, placed one bid then forgot about it. I've not used eBay in some time, I guess I expected a reminder to bid - instead they emailed me to tell me I lost....

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Got screwed by Google, huh? I know how you feel.

Dang...don't know how I missed this. I would have taken PaperHandlingEquipment.com in a heartbeat. Just checked Whois and looks like it's gone. Oh well. <...sigh...> I hope that is the one for which you got at least $50 (I would have started bidding there).

Congrats on that sale and good luck with your remaining domains.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Nope, PaperHandlingEquipment.com went for 99 cents like most of the lots that sold.

WelchEnglish.com and Welch-English.com
    I've added two more domains for sale via eBay auction: WelchEnglish.com and Welch-English.com. These were the domains I used while working as a high school English teacher. Since I definitely don't plan to return to that career, I'm selling off the domains if somebody wants them (perhaps just for the pagerank or alexa rank).

Domain Appraisal Scam: Confirmed
    Earlier, I mentioned receiving an anonymous email "offering" me $10,000 for one of my domains -- but requiring that I first pay for a domain appraisal (a very common scam).

I replied, advising him that the domain was currently posted for auction on eBay, with a starting bid of 99 cents and no reserve.

His reply was that "nobody" would ever buy a domain at any price without first obtaining a formal appraisal. (This past week, I've sold about 20 domains on eBay, at prices raning from 99 cents to $50, and I'm certain that none of the buyers even considered obtaining an appraisal.)

Today, the auction for this $10,000 domain ended with no bids, even with a 99-cent starting bid and no reserve.

I still have six more eBay domain auctions pending (for a total of 12 domains).

Yup - a scam for sure. I have bought dozens of third-party domains over the years - from domain forum(s), from a live Moniker auction at Affiliate Summit (Miami), and even a couple from eBay. Several of them were at the four-figure level and I have never requested nor sought an appraisal. I have also sold a fair number of domains, some of them being into four-figures and no appraisal was ever a part of the sale.

My (personal) most expensive domain was into (maybe) five figures. No appraisal, I knew it had value but, more importantly, I "wanted" it. I swapped a 3-letter dot-com and four figures of cash to acquire it. More for a vanity purchase than any other reason and, because of that, I never even thought about an appraisal.

I bought a four-figure domain from Sedo last month ago that will be part of a new merchant launch in another couple of months. Conversely, we soft-launched a new SAS program yesterday based on a domain that we registered two years ago for less than eight bucks.

The point is...a domain is worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay. An appraisal is not [usually] needed.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Having never bought or sold a domain I'm wondering how the transaction works. If I sold one would I just inform Godaddy to put it under the new owner or what?

all I want for Christmas is kangyu banned
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

Quote Originally Posted by Steele
    all I want for Christmas is kangyu banned
    You got your Christmas wish.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread