Domain name Registration Help
    I want to register the Domain name For my business website.(Online Education Business Website). I found the Domain Name Registration at low cost in the site I want the sugesstion what is the Difference Between .com extension and .org extension becaz i found the cost For .com &.org at same cost in that site which is best for me..Which extension is better for my Business.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Go with the .com

ABW Ambassador
    .com for sure

Yes, dot-com.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by splace
    I want to register the Domain name For my business website.(Online Education Business Website). I found the Domain Name Registration at low cost in the site I want the sugesstion what is the Difference Between .com extension and .org extension becaz i found the cost For .com &.org at same cost in that site which is best for me..Which extension is better for my Business.
    For that kind of name (Online Education) ...

Get all three: .com .net .org

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    For that kind of name (Online Education) ...

Get all three: .com .net .org
    Absolutely.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

dot com is for commercial sites dot org is for non commercial sites (charities, non profit organizations) May be you have noted that sometimes some sites have got the commercial site and they have a dot org site they use as an information site a kind of guide without useful information. It's still a marketing approach.

Definitely register .com, .org and .net so that no one else can register a similar name with a high level domain extension. As far as which extension to use for your site, use the .com extension unless you're really trying to create a not for profit feel (because it's education related) in which case you might consider .org.

If you went with .org, you would want to re-direct the .com name to the .org name so that anyone typing in the name with .com would automatically be taken to your site.

Which brings up a related point. If someone else already has the .com, I would recommend going with an entirely different name altogether. When people type urls directly into their web browser, they usually put the .com extension by default. So, if your site was SuperAwesomeSite.org and people trying to access your site directly are mistakenly typing SuperAwesomeSite.com into their web browser, someone else will be enjoying all the unintentional free traffic you're sending their way.

And that would make you sad...

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    "Buy all three" is a throw-back from the old register.com marketing hype days.

If you have the .com you don't need ANYTHING else (for the USA at least).

If someone else is stupid enough to reg the .net or .org later, let them waste the reg money because half of their intended traffic will probably end up at your site anyway.

this is a zone where domain registration can be done.i usually use this to site to renew and other domain related. reach further
    Last edited by Dynamoo; October 27th, 2009 at 07:37 AM.

That's amazing.. a spam with 24 days interval between the fake initial post and the oh-so-helpful spammy reply!

Both permabanned
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

You should go with .com but if you want to safe your branding issue then I must recommend you to buy all major extensions.

.com are the most popular, .org is mostly used for education institutes

Hi splace,

I would also say get all three TLDs (.com, .org, and .net). Use the .com site fir the business side, use the.org site for an information site (so it becomes an authority site, and the .net for a community site (forum, blog).
    Authority sites and community riven sites usually get high search engine rankings.
    Then put links to the .com site on you .org and .net sites

Last edited by Trust; December 11th, 2009 at 02:57 AM.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread