Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Arrow Question about article marketing
    I am new to article marketing and I read some stuff online about how to link it to my affiliates sites.

I love to write, and I write articles often (for school and online). I read about how I can review clickbank products and services and somehow link those articles to my affiliates sites.

Are there any strategies or problems with doing this.

Also on a side bar I also am wondering about how I can tie all of this into twitter. As I said I have been doing alot of reading online but I just wanted your thoughts.

Thanks

~~Tj Lovelady

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    As opposed to going with ClickBank, checkout some of the bigger networks and advertisers.com
    linkshare.com
    cj.com
    Google Affiliate network
    shareasale.com

Strategy. Find a niche you love, promote it (write about it) on your website.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
    As opposed to going with ClickBank, checkout some of the bigger networks and advertisers.com
    linkshare.com
    cj.com
    Google Affiliate network
    shareasale.com

Strategy. Find a niche you love, promote it (write about it) on your website.
    Thanks for the info. I joined cj.com a while ago (well a few years ago) and it has been just sitting there. I will try those others!

Ive heard some bad things about clickbank, and some of the products they have are, to me, unsellable.

Thanks for the reply ill ad those to my notebook of ideas!

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I don't think she is talking about ebooks Eric. Rather something more like Ezinearticles.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

as Cheesehead posted, ezinearticles is a popular place for you to start to put your writing skills to work. i see ezinearticles all the time on blogs and mini-sites that pull rss news from yahoo for example. that would drive visitors to your articles. good luck

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Article Marketing is for Dummies....

Why would you throw your content away and give it to an article marketing site?

Content is content.

Content = Experience in your field.

Why give your experience away for free?

Write it.

Upload it on YOUR site..

Get it indexed in the search engines.

KEEP WRITING ...

Duplicate...

Do that until your fingers ache, and visitors start coming to YOUR site.

It will take tons of trial and error ...

Knowing how to put content rich terms in your article, that match up with the SE terms you want to persue, and equalizing all of that with solid header tags, description tags, naming your url correctly and using patience will pay off in the long term.

If you need immediate results, do some PPC research.

I wouldn't put any of my content on one of those sites for them to reap the benefits..

I have enough problems keeping others from stealing my content and making entire websites from it. -

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy
    Article Marketing is for Dummies....
    I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. I've been doing article marketing for years, and it's worked VERY well for me.

Why would you throw your content away and give it to an article marketing site?
    Who said anything about throwing it away? It's a great way to rank for certain keywords and get more exposure for your site.

Why give your experience away for free?
    To get more traffic, better SEO rankings and to become the authority in that niche.

I wouldn't put any of my content on one of those sites for them to reap the benefits..
    No wonder you rely so heavily on big G. If you spread your content around, you would get traffic from other places as well.

I'm not saying don't put your content on your site as well, but article marketing is a great way to get more traffic and better SEO rankings.

Here's a perfect example of how to do this: Take one of your articles (or write a new one) and cut it in half. Let's call it something like "How to get rid of black mold". List 3-4 ways to do this in both the articles and submit one to a place like Ezinearticles. In the resource box, put a call to action so they will visit your site. Something like, "For more tips on ridding black mold, visit (your site here)". Which the anchor text "black mold" would point to your second article on your site.

I get thousands of visitors every month from this technique, even more so when people use those articles on their own site for content. It's a win-win for me. More traffic, better rankings in the SERPs and another way to drive traffic instead of the search engines.

Lanadili speaks great wisdom here, my friends.
    Generate more fake news.

Well, the idea with articles is that, if you write a really good one, other users of the article directory will 'subscribe' to it, i.e. place it on their sites - with your links in it.

So you get back-links and fame. That's the theory.

Of course this back-links and fame business only works if everybody plays fair. They must keep to the terms of the article directory and really include the link to your site in the article that they place on their site.

I subscribe to some of the article directories that are considered to be quality, e.g ezinearticles, ideamarketers.
    Originally my intention was to find good articles that I could include on my site. This way I could build up the size of my site without personally writing about every topic.

I have to say that I abandoned this idea after a short time. The article directories are not full of GOOD articles on my topic. There are SOME good articles, but in the time it takes to crawl through the hundreds of generic, un-informative offerings I could have written one good page myself.

On other topics things might be different.

But it seems to me that the idea of article marketing attracts people who do not discern the difference between quality and quantity.

I have seen lots of instruction about how to successfully use article marketing to promote a site. The advice usually implies an emphasis on quantity: e.g. write an article every day; you can turn one main idea into six articles, buy our software that automatically turns one article into 600 articles and automatically uploads them to 7000 article directories!!!! - etc.

I think I have placed, for an experiment, about two articles on directories. I was heartened to see that some other members had made use of the articles. So that amounts to maybe two or three backlinks.
    Although the business of uploading articles on the good directories is well automated I still found it to be a slow process.

I suppose I agree with RemodellingGuy in the end: our first priority must be to grow our own sites by providing good information to visitors.

As for ClickBank: I started in the website-making addiction by promoting a product from ClickBank. Vendor was very helpful to new affiliates, I made some profit and I was pretty pleased about the whole idea of affiliate selling.

But subsequently I search in vain for something there that I can whole-heartedly support. I''m sure there are plenty of good honest vendors there with quality products - but there is no shortcut to finding and evaluating them.

Well, as usual I say that I'm no expert - just putting in my few thoughts: good luck to you with your endeavours.

As someone who has been "article marketing" since 1995 - back then it wasn't called article marketing, and there weren't directories for publishing articles to, I was posting them as helpful guides or informational/entertaining pieces to newsgroups in those days - I don't do it for backlinks or fame.

I see the backlinks as a bonus, but my goal with publishing articles is to get potential customers to my site, period.

That's why I try to publish on article sites that have active communities/readerships, like eZineArticles, SearchWarp, Content Caboodle and etc., as well as some small niche sites where the comunities aren't large, but they're targeted.

I also publish the same article to multiple directories all the time. The SEO gurus say this is wrong because search engines won't count all of the backlinks, but again, that's not my goal with articles. I want the targeted traffic, so if I write a good article (which I always try to do) then I want to get it in-front of as many eyes as possible.

I don't mean that I publish "pillar" content on article sites, that would be silly. Put your very best stuff on your own site, but creating a lot of B-rated articles and publishing them to active article directories and ezines is a great way to begin building a new stream of traffic for yourself.

B-rated articles can attract a ton of traffic for you, it'll be small chunks like a handful of visitors per month, but that adds up over time and spread across a lot of articles, and you can help that along too.

To me, the key is to help your articles get in-front of readers. Just publishing them on an article site is good, but helping to promote your own articles is better.

Most article sites give authors a personal RSS feed for their articles, I always ping those feeds when I publish a new article to let search engines know there's new content to see.

I also let followers of my site's Twitter account know there's a new article by me at such-and-such site. Yes, that's driving traffic to someone else's site, but if the article is decent and your followers appreciate the content they may share it on social networks/bookmarking sites, or just by mouth to a friend.

These things take just a minute to do, ping an RSS feed, send out a Tweet; but they can have a huge impact on getting more readers to your article, which leads to more traffic to your site.

Anyway, that's my $0.02 worth on it.

Lanadili ...... Good points -

I know that my sites are not your typical affiliate sites per se, as I have built them around content with the main goal of dominating my niches in the search engines ..

Not only google, but all search engines ... google just sends me a lot more traffic than the others .... and I generate several 1000s of hits EVERY DAY...

If I want to blast my content around the internet, I write a press release and generate 10's of 1000's of hits.

Also, I can build a page, fill it with content and the right seo techniques and have it indexed in 48 hours, generating targeted traffic to my site immediately.

I absolutely RESPECT the other opposing opinions and wish all of you the best.

Just not for me.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )

Not only google, but all search engines ... google just sends me a lot more traffic than the others .... and I generate several 1000s of hits EVERY DAY...
    I'm glad to hear it, although everyone knows it's not about how much traffic you receive, but how well you convert it.

If I want to blast my content around the internet, I write a press release and generate 10's of 1000's of hits.
    That's also another great way to generate traffic, along with many other methods (including article marketing).

Also, I can build a page, fill it with content and the right seo techniques and have it indexed in 48 hours, generating targeted traffic to my site immediately.
    That's great to hear. Although once I submit an article to an article directory, I get immediate results instead of waiting 48 hours...

Just not for me.
    So how many articles did you submit to article directories before you decided it wasn't for you?

I totally agree with Lanadili. Using article marketing to build backlinks is a good strategy to boost your natural search engine rankings.

The keys to success with article marketing are (and these are off the cuff so please no one bite my head off if I've missed anything):

1. using keyword anchor text in the resource box (as Lanadili already pointed out).

2. using your keyword(s) in your article title and throughout the body. Try to achieve a keyword density of between 2-5% without sounding like you're stuffing the keywords unnaturally into every nook and cranny.

3. writing good quality articles - this gives you a chance to have your content picked up by other sites (not just the article directories) giving you additional backlinks to your page.

4. optimizing your site/landing page for your keywords. In other words, the page on your site that you are linking back to from your article should have your keywords in the page title, page url, first and last paragraphs of the page, image titles, etc. Again, go for a 2-5% keyword density. If it doesn't look too odd, try bolding your keywords in the first paragraph of your web page. Include your keywords in the last paragraph too. Use your keywords wherever you can on your web page without being too obvious. This is all basic search engine optimization ("SEO") that will give you more bang for your buck with article marketing.

5. Doing some keyword research before you write. Your goal with article writing (I assume) is to get your site onto the first page of the search engine results for your chosen keywords. Try optimizing your pages (see point 4 above) for keywords that don't have tons of competition and then write articles based on those keywords. Search the keywords that you are trying to rank for in Google with quotation marks around them (for example, "how to cure baldness"). If your search returns less than 10,000 web pages, you will have an easier time getting yourself on the first page of the search results. More than 10,000 and it will take a lot more time and work. Consider finding keywords that are less competitive but still have traffic, create web pages around those keywords and then write articles linking back to them.

Good luck!

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Lanadili
    So how many articles did you submit to article directories before you decided it wasn't for you?
    Well, that's putting me on the spot.

Less than 20... ( all in less than 2 months, several years ago )

But that's not to say that I haven't done my homework.

I have accounts at several article submission sites.

Was even on the ground floor with one that turned out to be pretty popular.

I just hate giving little pieces of what's left of my brain away to another site and hope that someone likes the article enough to click on my link.

If my article answers their question, then why would they keep researching?

Problem solved.

I don't know.... Just didn't keep my interest and I saw few results.

If someone has a fresh site with no traffic, nothing in the search engines, no referrals, no-one has them on their favorites, and they want to build some traffic from a site that has it ..... Probably a great deal...

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    When writing articles you need to find the right balance between posting to your own authoritative site and the article portals.

Sure ezinearticles postings will get some good backlinks. Just be sure to use different anchors on your text links and do more than link only to your home page.

But I believe highly optimized on site articles will win you the most traffic.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Less than 20... ( all in less than 2 months, several years ago )

But that's not to say that I haven't done my homework.
    I'm really surprised that you submitted that many and didn't get decent results. Although many factors go into article marketing like the quality of the article, the way you write it, if your actually adding value to your visitors, etc. I started seeing results after about 5.

I'd ask if you tried different methods with those 20 articles, but I'm pretty sure I would just be wasting both of our time since you've already made up your mind that article marketing doesn't work. It was pretty obvious with your first statement in your first post saying that article marketing was for dummies...

If my article answers their question, then why would they keep researching?

Problem solved.
    From my personal experience, most people don't stop searching after reading just one article. They continue to search, until they feel they have found enough information on the subject. Offering two articles is a great way to give them more information. If your first article has enough quality to it, and your call to action grabs their attention, you will most likely get a click-through.

I don't know.... Just didn't keep my interest and I saw few results.
    That's fine, what works for one person doesn't always work for the next. But to try and tell people that doing article marketing is for dummies because it didn't work for you, is not the right way to go about it.

I'm not trying to pick on you Jimmy, I think your an ok guy most of the time. I just don't feel it was right to say one method is for dummies because you couldn't get it to work. That's like someone trying their hand at PPC, loosing money and then saying that PPC doesn't work because they couldn't get it to work for them.

If you wanted, I would be more than willing to help you with article marketing. Maybe we could start a post and let people see the progress of it. Show them step-by-step what we're doing, and how we're doing it.

Thanks for everybodys response! I have been doing some trial and error for about 2 week(not long at all). I have actually started putting the articles on article sites and then linking my articles to a landing page on my website and then posting my affiliate link.

I have seen some traffic from doing this but I understand that it's going to take some time.

I have been writing about 3 or 4 a day but my goal is about 9 or 10 a day for different products. Most of the services that I review I have tried so the content comes naturally.

Again thanks for eveyones comments, please give me some more feedback! I need all that I can get.

I'm really surprised that you submitted that many and didn't get decent results. Although many factors go into article marketing like the quality of the article, the way you write it, if your actually adding value to your visitors, etc. I started seeing results after about 5.

I'd ask if you tried different methods with those 20 articles, but I'm pretty sure I would just be wasting both of our time since you've already made up your mind that article marketing doesn't work. It was pretty obvious with your first statement in your first post saying that article marketing was for dummies...

From my personal experience, most people don't stop searching after reading just one article. They continue to search, until they feel they have found enough information on the subject. Offering two articles is a great way to give them more information. If your first article has enough quality to it, and your call to action grabs their attention, you will most likely get a click-through.

That's fine, what works for one person doesn't always work for the next. But to try and tell people that doing article marketing is for dummies because it didn't work for you, is not the right way to go about it.

I'm not trying to pick on you Jimmy, I think your an ok guy most of the time. I just don't feel it was right to say one method is for dummies because you couldn't get it to work. That's like someone trying their hand at PPC, loosing money and then saying that PPC doesn't work because they couldn't get it to work for them.

If you wanted, I would be more than willing to help you with article marketing. Maybe we could start a post and let people see the progress of it. Show them step-by-step what we're doing, and how we're doing it.
    I would love to do this! Pm me with details please!

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjlovelady
    I would love to do this! Pm me with details please!
    You don't have enough posts to send or receive PMs, just letting you know.

Lanadili I think some threads on how to do article marketing the right way would be very well received.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    You don't have enough posts to send or receive PMs, just letting you know.
    Shoot! Thats right

Lanadili I think some threads on how to do article marketing the right way would be very well received.
    That sounds like a great idea. I'll start a thread probably tomorrow on the basics of article marketing, and give everybody a few days to ask questions. Then I'll move on to other areas like like where to submit articles, etc.

That sounds like a great idea. I'll start a thread probably tomorrow on the basics of article marketing, and give everybody a few days to ask questions. Then I'll move on to other areas like like where to submit articles, etc.
    Go ahead and start it ...

We can play " To Tell the Truth "

I'll give you the opportunity to prove me wrong, right in front of everyone -

I just got thru loading an article from a contributor.

It's about garage conversions .... It's less than an hour old...

There are a few more that she sent that I may want to throw into the mix, as they have broader search opportunities.

Let me know.

I don't have a problem being humbled if you prove me wrong. -

CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by davidh
    lolol, where did you find that?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

lolol, where did you find that?
    Made me laugh too!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast