More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Whew, that was a close one!
    I was doing a very restricted search with several phrases in quotes. Clicked on a result, and some crap started loading. Tried to back out, but got one of these confusing exit popups "Do you really want to leave?". Knowing this was a land mine and anything I clicked would load more crap onto my machine, I powered off my laptop holding the power button in. Started up again and sure enough had a browser hijacker. Got the evil popup again and powered off again. Started up in SAFE mode and was able to restore to a previous point and all seems OK now. I would bet if I had clicked on one of the popups my restore points would have been wiped out, as they usually are. A note to merchants who still use this type of deceptive exit popup - IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT TO EMULATE?

Another caution: When you do very restricted searches with quoted phrases, you are more likely to hit malware as these types of sites tend to sit low in the rankings.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    I was doing a very restricted search with several phrases in quotes. Clicked on a result, and some crap started loading. Tried to back out, but got one of these confusing exit popups "Do you really want to leave?". Knowing this was a land mine and anything I clicked would load more crap onto my machine, I powered off my laptop holding the power button in. Started up again and sure enough had a browser hijacker. Got the evil popup again and powered off again. Started up in SAFE mode and was able to restore to a previous point and all seems OK now. I would bet if I had clicked on one of the popups my restore points would have been wiped out, as they usually are. A note to merchants who still use this type of deceptive exit popup - IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT TO EMULATE?

Another caution: When you do very restricted searches with quoted phrases, you are more likely to hit malware as these types of sites tend to sit low in the rankings.
    Yikes! Sounds like that old phrase about "dodging a bullet"!

Thanks for sharing that. Frankly, I don't know whether I would have thought to hit the power button and take my chances. If I'm ever in a similar situation, maybe now I would think to mash the power button.
    Generate more fake news.

When this happens I do a "Ctrl Atl Del" and go to Task Manager and kill the task for IE, Firefox etc...
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Quote Originally Posted by kse
    When this happens I do a "Ctrl Atl Del" and go to Task Manager and kill the task for IE, Firefox etc...
    Good advice! I didn't think of that, but it would probably work. I guess I decided to power off as it seemed an installation was in progress. And indeed I did get something installed. My powering off may have interrupted some of the installation. And boy was this a bad one - total hijack of FF browser, not just the usual google search takeover.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

You should report the site to http://www.stopbadware.org/home/action so it will be taken offline and keep others from having the same problem or worse because they don't know as much as you do.

People who create and distribute virii and malware irritate the hell out of me. I liken it to assault, as if someone knocked on your door, you opened it, and they sucker punched you right in the face.

You probably already have, but if you haven't, make sure you do a thorough virus/anti-malware/spyware check on your computer.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

I did a complete scan. All clear!

FireFox + NoScript (noscript.net) is about the most secure combination that you get, it disables Javascript on sites unless you say that you trust them.. this stops most current web-based infections.

The downside is that NoScript buggers up a lot of sites until you whitelist the Javascript, and in some cases (especially if making a purchase) you might need to turn it off temporarily.

If you're fairly computer savvy then I'd recommend NoScript - it's certainly stopped nasties installing on my PC in the past.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

If you're fairly computer savvy then I'd recommend NoScript
    I really hate bumping old threads, but NoScript needs another mention. I tried it when this thread was fresh and found it cumbersome. Last night after reading some scary stuff I re-installed it and for some reason it seems easier now.

I think sometimes the success of trying new tech things depends on how tired we are at the time.

There have been several updates since the original post and they seem to be improving the transparency for the user since then. Still sometimes aggravating, but essential.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread