How wide should SAS widgets be for your blog?
    Just a hypothetical here (well, maybe a tad bit more than hypothetical), but...

...if we were to begin a new merchant program on ShareASale and provide information and/or product display widgets for affiliates...

What size widget(s) would work well within your blog posts? I use a few different themes on WordPress installations that I am using for affiliate marketing and find that 400-450 px wide seems to work with the default (Kubric) theme and a couple of other themes I use.

1) So, if you were to use a widget in your posts, what would be a good width for you?

2) How about for a sidebar - would you use a product widget there? If so, what width would be good? Would a "standard size" like 160x600 work? Or 120x600?

3) Would a generic set of gray colors work for you? Shades of gray with black text?

I have found a few posts discussing banner sizes but would like to get a feel for usable widget sizes. Thanks for any insight you can provide.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

http and a telephoto
    I don't think you can make a widget 120 wide. Pretty sure 160 is the smallest you can go.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I don't think you can make a widget 120 wide. Pretty sure 160 is the smallest you can go.
    Ah, thank you, Debbie. Good to know - that size (160 px wide) works work fine with three themes that Jill and I have been using. I'm trying to get a feel for what other people may like to have available.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Ah, thank you, Debbie. Good to know - that size (160 px wide) works work fine with three themes that Jill and I have been using. I'm trying to get a feel for what other people may like to have available.
    I don't use widgets much anymore, but that's a different issue. If I were to use widgets, I would look for 160 wide in the sidebar, though I have some sidebars that would accept 200-240. I also might use widgets 468 or 234 wide. (Maybe this would be helpful? Most of the formats offered at Google Adsense work in one way or another on most of my WP blog themes.)
    Generate more fake news.

Thanks, Gary. I appreciate the tip.

Tax Paying Member
    I agree with the WriterGuy from the wild west. He knows his stuff. Sizes that he suggests also work for me. Widgets that are too wide float over or distort the site, therefore i can't use them.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

It really would be nice to see some in a couple of "standard ad sizes". The 160 as mentioned before, and so many widgets already available are oddball sizes that are only a bit larger than standard 300x250, but are useless for many of us because we design our websites with standard ad sizes in mind.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

http and a telephoto
    Unfortunately we can't set the length of widgets, just the width. They end up being as long or tall as the content needs them to be. I haven't been able to get around that, even when I set the size.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks for the ideas, folks. I am writing this down for future reference. <scribble> </scribble>

As far as setting the length, I had built a couple of small widgets (independent of SAS), for my own use, at the 300x250 size. I kept the length to 250 or less, by using small image sizes and tweaking the narrative to make it "just short enough." I will try to use that technique when I get into the SAS interface (if it will give me that flexibility).

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread