Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Microsoft Launch free Antivirus
    I was in Seattle visiting some people/friends. They told me that they were the beta testers for Microsoft Anti Virus.

It just launched. And the best part....

IT'S FREE
    http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Thank you so much. Just what I was looking for.

Eric, thank you so much!
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

http and a telephoto
    Miocrosoft has had a free anti-virus before. It sucked... literally. It sucked up computer resources, missed viruses and was generally all around bad. And it is built into Vista.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I think this will be a huge improvement to the Live OneCare which had more negative reviews. Most PC websites give it a thumbs up and it's free.

I am still on my Symantec and it's been reliable, so I am not bailing on the program for this free prog.

Key points:
    -compatible with WIndows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
    -genuine Windows to run the program.
    -cannot run Security Essential with other anti virus applications.
    http://www.ericewe.com/everything-el...ivirus-market/

Antivirus software from Microsoft? Isn't Microsoft's software where the vulnerabilities lie in the first place?
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

I would give it a try, but only near renewal time. We're using ZoneAlarm now.

ABW Ambassador
    I installed it and did a quick scan on my computer. It caught two trojon virus right away . That might explains why my computer was behaving weird lately.

I was using Avast antivirus but never caught anything before. Wondering how long those trojon virus been sitting in my computer...

Thanks Eric for the link.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Had it for about a month now.

Got fed up with McAfee, as it just put it's foot on the neck of my system.

Had to remove that and AVG Free before I could download it and that was a little scary.

But it actually seems to pick up stuff that I didn't see with the others.

Doesn't seem to eat up my resources ...

All is good.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Go with Norton 2010, have used them all

NIS 2010 is the only one that protects you from the unknown everythign else just goes after the known virus. If its known you're probably already protected.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    EXCELLENT SITE HWG!

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Thumbs down
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Miocrosoft has had a free anti-virus before. It sucked... literally. It sucked up computer resources, missed viruses and was generally all around bad. And it is built into Vista.
    Exactly!!! If Microsoft can't build a secure OS, what makes you think they can build anti-virus software.....I switched to Linux 3 months ago and I LOVE IT!!!!

No Longer Banned!
    Try moonAV from http://sourceforge.net ...

You'll never look back.

This Baby is so good, Barracuda Networks is being sued for using it.

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveWilliams
    Try moonAV from http://sourceforge.net ...

You'll never look back.

This Baby is so good, Barracuda Networks is being sued for using it.

Steve
    Never mind the previous Microsoft bashing by Homer J. Simpson, but I have to ask...

WTH is moonAV?

Anti-Virus program from the Moon?

Audio and Video from the Moon?

Or...

Moon Any Visitor?
    -------------------------------------------

What's the use of that Milky Way link, if you're not going to show us the right, Moon link?

Btw, our beloved Moon (The only natural satellite of the Earth), was under atack last week, so unless you're talking about a different Moon, I think I'll stay with the new Micro soft landing, for now!

More competition / Free Software ..

I think this is good news ... makes you think what else they will give away for free down the line!!
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I read a couple of good reviews about THIS MS software at PC Mag and some other authority site I can't remember.

According to those two stories, the biggest fault against this MS anti-virus is that it is slower than some of the polished, professional stuff. But it was given a high rating for reliability and effectiveness in both those reviews.

Don't have any links to the reviews, however.
    Generate more fake news.

Ben The AIM Group
    Thanks very much for the free software link. Anybody using windows 7? I live in Southern Cal and they're opening a new Windows store down the hall from the improved Apple store. It will be nice to talk to a real live Windows tech person, if they'll be there.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    According to those two stories, the biggest fault against this MS anti-virus is that it is slower than some of the polished, professional stuff. But it was given a high rating for reliability and effectiveness in both those reviews.
    I tried Microsoft Security Essentials on my PC, and it was quite fast and picked up something Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (which is excellent) hadn't caught. I had the Norton 2009 trial installed previously, but it didn't impress me enough to dish out the cash to pay for it. The free option from Microsoft looks pretty good so far.
    --

Not tried the new MS one yet but I had read that, all though it goes after viri and other malware it doesn't touch cookies. Might be a good thing if proved correct

it's tempting, I just don't know if I trust it. time to read reviews

Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    My office just switched to the Microsoft anti-virus. Not because it was free, but because other programs constantly update and end up taking up bigger and bigger amounts of storage and slowing down the machine.

Maybe Microsoft will be the same, but it is a good way to wipe the slate clean.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I have the perfect "guinea pig" to give this a try. A cheap notebook computer that my son uses for school. Nothing much stored on it - no big loss if I have to do a total restore. And my McAffee trial is running out soon. I don't know if it is McAffee or the fact that this is about the cheapest notebook on the planet, but this notebook takes FOREVER to start up. Almost slower than my old Windows XP machine. It is an ACER from BestBuy that I got for $290.

Thanks for the link!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    I have the perfect "guinea pig" to give this a try. A cheap notebook computer that my son uses for school. Nothing much stored on it - no big loss if I have to do a total restore. And my McAffee trial is running out soon. I don't know if it is McAffee or the fact that this is about the cheapest notebook on the planet, but this notebook takes FOREVER to start up. Almost slower than my old Windows XP machine. It is an ACER from BestBuy that I got for $290.

Thanks for the link!
    Maybe you want to reformat the hd and have the necessary programs on there only. I did that when i first got my dell and it was purring back then. If I have all the installation CDs, I would do it again.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
    Maybe you want to reformat the hd and have the necessary programs on there only. I did that when i first got my dell and it was purring back then. If I have all the installation CDs, I would do it again.
    Good suggestion! They load you up with garbage you don't want when you get a "user ready" computer from Best Buy. In fact, they now even offer a service (for a fee) to remove programs you don't want when you buy your computer. I guess that is why they can sell laptop notebooks (not netbooks) for under $300.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    Good suggestion! They load you up with garbage you don't want when you get a "user ready" computer from Best Buy. In fact, they now even offer a service (for a fee) to remove programs you don't want when you buy your computer. I guess that is why they can sell laptop notebooks (not netbooks) for under $300.
    BestBuy pulled this stunt on me back in 2002. I haven't purchased anything from one of their stores since.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast