Newbie Questions
    Hi all,

I am sorry if this is not the correct location for this post, but if you could let me know where it should go that would be great.

I have an idea of what i'd like to do. Ideally, i'd like to write about sports including items such as news, collectibles, games, etc. Right now the primary focus is on hockey. Here are my questions:

1 - I think I would want to set this up as a Wordpress web site. From what I can tell a dedicated web host will cost me about $7/month. I am certainly not worried about paying that, but am curious if most beginners see returns in the first few months of operation?

2 -I am very confused about the different types of ads that I would put on my site. Would I be paid based on clicks, or earn commissions based on sales? I believe there are both but am not really sure how to hook onto either.

3 - I think that there are quite a few campaigns that provide you with commission when a user fills out a form (insurance quote for instance). But many sites that provide these leads want you to register with a valid web site address. If I just wanted to write an article on the subject, can I still sign up?

4 - Similar to #3, if I created a web site based on car insurance for example and added some affiliate links, is that called a landing page? I have heard that term used alot but am still not 100% sure what it is. Does that mean that people pay approx $50/year in web hosting fees for 1 income generating web page?

I am very sorry if these questions are stupid, or if they are covered elsewhere. Perhaps it is because I am overtired, but I can't seem to find what I am looking for, but am sure it is around .

Thanks for understanding and helping a newbie.

Adam

There isn't one definitive answer that can address all of your questions because it looks like you have been reading a lot all over the place and need to sort things out to understand them better. There are many types and methods of affiliating.

Promoting information products is how a lot of people start - selling ebooks about how to get rich, like our favorite http://buymystupidebook.com.

Some affiliates promote leads - getting people to sign up and fill out forms. Generally you get paid only for legitimate productive leads or everyone would have their friends signing up for everything.

Some affiliates promote products and have shops on their sites with additional content to attract shoppers. Some people set up forums or blogs or communities. You can build whatever you like, the idea is to build a site that people want to visit and come back to so you can introduce them to different products, services and special sales/coupons.

A landing page generally is needed if you are going to promote via PPC (pay per click) advertising, where you pay a fee each time your ad is clicked. You would want to have your clicks land on a page that is very highly relevant to the keyword terms you are using in your campaign so that your cost per click can be a reasonable amount. You really need to understand the big picture when you decide to use PPC or you can lose a lot of money learning how it works.

The simplest way to get started is not in PPC, especially if you enjoy writing content rather than monitoring, researching and tweaking a campaign. First you buy a domain, try for a short, memorable, relevant name in a .com domain. Then you arrange to host that domain and install WordPress (it's a simple procedure on most decent hosts), install the theme you want to work with and start writing. There is a whole section here on blogging with lots of useful information about getting started. When you are set up and generating content and visitors, start looking for relevant merchants to promote on your site with pages, products, banners or articles. As for how long it takes to become profitable, that depends: on you, your topic, your competition, your competency, your research, your experience and many other factors. It is more of a learning experience than an earning experience in the beginning. Whatever methods you decide to use to work as an affiliate will depend on what you feel comfortable doing day after day after day, there isn't a how-to checklist of instructions to follow that can guarantee profitability. You are not limited to one page, most hosts allow you to add many more domains to the hosting service and each domain can be one page or hundreds.

These are just some general basics, it takes a lot of reading to figure out what is right for you. There are many sites that will promise to tell you the secrets if you will pay them. Their secret: find enough other people to pay you to tell them the same thing. The real secrets are what you learn yourself by trial and error.

Sounds like what you have in mind would be good with a mix of relevant pay-per-click ads and ads for merchandise that would be of interest to your visitors.

Google Adsense is the place to sign up for pay-per-click ads.

There are loads of vendors on all of the affiliate networks offering a wide range of products that would be of interest to sports fans; collectibles, apparel, equipment, etc. In fact almost all major dealers of these types of products have active affiliate programs.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

One thing that I have been trying is marketing by writing articles or reviews of products. This has been new for me but I have increased my traffic (to my site).

I think you have to have a balance of both (Adsense and Promotions).

I have learned that you have to play around with the placements of the ads on my site to see where people are looking. Another tip that I have learned is making the text of the Adsense ads match the content of your site. This will blend your ads and content together.

I, too am a newbie but I have been an affiliate for a while now.

Thank you everyone! I agree that I will probably need to see what works for me in the beginning before realizing income potential. You all have given me lots to think about .

So am I correct in my scenario about what other marketers do? For example if there is a company offering $30 for an auto insurance lead, would a marketer buy a domain such as best-auto-insurance.com and promote the campaign? Would they just leave the site alone for a while and see how it does?

I've never understood how people do this when you need a website to sign up for campaigns. In other words how would you know to create a website tailered to auto insurance without having acess to a campaign list?

Sorry again if this sounds like a dumb question!

For your auto insurance campaign to have lots of sign ups, your site needs to be a popular place for people to look for that information. It needs to have lots of related content so people find your site when they search for help with auto insurance. If it isn't getting any visits and there is only a sign up form it will cost you too much to even think about promoting via PPC. That's why you need to research the competition before you just start up your own site. See what's out there already. If you think you can do better, have at it.

That research will also show you what it takes to be near the top for the terms you think shoppers would use to find the site you're interested in building. Some topics or niches are thoroughly saturated and it would take a lot of work to do much with it. Other niches are neglected and you can find yourself doing pretty good with less work.

If a merchant that you would like to sign up with can see examples of how you work, they may let you sign up with totally unrelated websites, understanding that you will be building a niche site for their product - if that's what you want to do. Most program managers understand that you won't have a ready made site just for them without any existing relationship.

Start with a topic that you really are interested in and build your site just to see how it goes, learning all the necessary steps. Worry about links and programs and profits when you are comfortable with your site skills. If you start at the wrong end of the equation it can be expensive and frustrating. We learn to walk so we can run.

thanks! I should have clarified that I have no plans to do an auto insurance campaign as a newbie, but was just wondering if that is what the more experienced people did. I've made many mistakes going at things too fast, so I'd never jump right to the end.

I was just looking at sites like maxbounty and commission junction and wondered how people signed up for those campaigns.

Thanks!

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread