Trouble Getting Clicks Through Adwords
    I recenty started an adwords campaign after many hours of research. I came up with some longtail keywords. I'm thinking maybe I'm just not choosing the right phrases or maybe my niche is just too low traffic or something.. Are these good search phrases to get longtail traffic?

"BMF Torque Wrench Review"
    "Buy BMF Torque Wrench"
    "BMF Torque Wrench Price"
    "Where to Buy BMF Torque Wrench"
    "Where Can I Buy BMF Torque Wrench"

If "BMF Torque Wrench Review" only draws 100 searches a month I might only get a couple of clicks on my ad per month through the search network.

Does this look like a decent ad? I'm not getting any clicks through the content network with over 200 impressions! I only have 20 through search network so I can't say on that yet.

BMF Torque Wrench Review
    How Does the BMF Torque Wrench Hold Up?
    Read the Review. Make Your Choice.
    www.joestoolshack.com/bmfreview

Trying to get my feet wet but with no click throughs its kinda feeling like

Lightbulb
    I think there is a spot on the google ad manager (for your particular ad) where you can find keywords based on your page. You should be able to get an idea there of what to expect as to estimated visitors per keyword.

Quote Originally Posted by mBenz-7
    www.joestoolshack.com/bmfreview
    That domain is for sale and parked. Why on earth would you want to pay for clicks to a domain name you don't even own?

It's not that you're choosing the "wrong phrases", it's that you're not choosing enough phrases to cover the niche. The beauty of long tail keywords is that they're usually so specific that you can often be pretty assured that you've got a buyer as opposed to a browser. The problem with long tail keywords is that they're so specific it's often difficult to anticipate exactly what someone might search for. Solution: generate hundreds of long tail phrases and variations in an attempt to cover any possible search phrase that a prospect may use and maximize your chances of getting a hit.

Now the problem is how to generate those keywords. Two good free places to start are Google's AdWords Keyword Tool and Search-based Keyword Tool to mine what keywords may be in your onsite content. Focus on the long tail and be careful with the Adwords tool and eliminate non long tail keywords or you'll end up spending a lot more than you planned on.

You may find that these tools don't generate enough keywords for such a specific niche and you may need to try additional tools. One tool that I've successfully used is HitTail, their lowest cost package is about $10/month and can pay for itself pretty quickly (they offer a free 60 day trial). Others here may be able to recommend some tools that they may have used.

Do a search on "long tail keywords" and you'll find a variety of other tools and some good articles and blogs on how to find and manage your long tail list.

Good luck, and remember to monitor your CTR, conversions and spend closely, especially for the content network.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

There isn't much on that domain that has anything to do with what you're promoting. That can make a campaign very expensive. Click throughs must be getting redirected or they would run away.

Rematt is right; these are "long tail" keywords, and 100 searches is not unusual for these kinds of four- to six-word keywords. The whole definition of "long tail" is that these are the search terms with lower volume -- but of course the advantage is that these keywords represent highly focused consumers, meaning that you can expect higher clickthrough rates and higher conversion rates, if you deliver what they're looking for. (Alas, for some "long-tail keywords," you may also pay for more traffic from your competitors and from unrecognized "crawlers").

Note that when you're working with broad- or phrase-match keywords in the "long tail," negative keywords can often be critical to success. For example, with most product-specific long-tail keywords (search phrases), you'll probably want to exclude phrases that include words like "wholesale" or "manual," and you might also want to exclude phrases like "warranty" and "repair."

Hey thanks for the helpful responses! Sorry I forgot to mention I just used that site / those ads as an example. I'm not really selling BMF torque wrenches and dont own that domain but its similar to the stuff I do sell. The ad layout is exactly the same as what I have setup.

A lot of you suggested I use more variations of long tail phrases. From what I heard google doesn't like long lists of keywords in an ad anymore? How many should I put in each ad until I make a new one? does 10-15 sound reasonable?

If I have 100 long tail phrases I guess I should make 10 different variations of ads and start testing which one gets the best CTR right? Do you guys see anything wrong with the ad I posted? Am I making any obvious mistake? I seem to be getting very low CTR in the content network.. maybe I should just stick with search network for now? Is it normal to get 300 impressions in the GCN without 1 click? Does that mean I should scrap my ad and make a new one with the same keywords?

One thing about my site is that its not a shop its about product reviews / informative articles. It has adsense ads and text links to amazon.com. Should I still bid on keyword phrases like "Buy BME Torque Wrench"? Will those convert well if I bring them to a prodcut review landing page?

I might try out hittail sometime soon, it seems very reasonably priced. Thanks for recommending it.

Well, those are long keyword phrases, it could be the length of your keyword phrase that is the problem or it could be torque wrench is not that popular of a subject which would cause you to get low clicks. Generally if you pay enough you will get clicks if it is a subject that people are interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by mBenz-7
    "BMF Torque Wrench Review"
    "Buy BMF Torque Wrench"
    "BMF Torque Wrench Price"
    "Where to Buy BMF Torque Wrench"
    "Where Can I Buy BMF Torque Wrench"
    Don't neglect the slightly more generic "BMF Torque Wrench" or "BMF Wrench", either. You'll never be able to think of all of the strange ways people will search, and a less specific phrase will catch many of those.

Do you have organic traffic to the page as well? If so, mine those logs to find out what keywords people have used when arriving at the page, and that could give you other ideas for keyword combinations.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread