Finding a Niche
    Hi all,

I've posted a few newbie questions on this site but I promise this will be my last one .

I have an idea about what type of niche i'd like to write about, but i've heard many people mention that you don't want to have too much competition, but you do want to have a profitable niche. My problem is that I am not sure how to determine this. I know that some people use Google and see how many search results are returned.

My original though was to do an NHL news site, but then I realized that who would ever want to visit my site when some big names companies already do this. So i've thought about refining to a few less talked about areas.

So anyways are there any general criteria that would help? For instance, under 5 million, but over 2 million returned search results in google?

Hope this makes sense!! Thanks.

Online Marketing Consultant
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Something that I think would be handy, at least in a sports theme, would be a blog that focusses on all the steps a parent needs to take in order to help get their kid recruited into a college sport. Someone bringing a kid through for the first time needs guidance about when it is appropriate for certain steps to be made. What are, say, the names, email addresses, physical addresses and phone numbers of every scout for every division I, II and III colleges within 500 miles of me, what are the top web sites for recruiting purposes, and how do I go about getting on there, etc. When is it legal to contact them, what information should I provide, do I need letters of reference, how many, should one be form the coach, etc.... There are a hundred things a parent can do to help increase their child's visibility, but they need direction.

Anyway, there's an idea for ya.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Thanks for the link and advice. I know this may sound bad, but one thing I do like to do is some recreational sports betting through our provincial lottery system. In looking around, I noticed that alot of offshore sports books do offer commissions if your site leads to any signups/deposits. I know this is a bit of a greasy area, but are there any illegal issues in writing about something like this and having people sign up on offshore sports betting sites?

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Depends on where you are located, the server is located, and where your customers are.

Try again. Not only are you picking possibly the most competitive niche in the world it is one that can get you arrested or limit where you can travel to.

Someone that lived outside the USA was arrested when he traveled to the USA for business because of his gambling marketing past and his sites.

Try googling "wordtracker free" to work out niches a bit.

JMO, stay away from gambling, alcohol, cigarrettes, basically the controversial stuff. Minimize your exposure to stuff that can hurt people, focus on product friendly niches.

Thanks! That us what I kind of figured. When I looked around at different companies offering commissions I was surprised to see so many gambling ones.

What about having a site that discusses sports gambling but does not promote any companies giving away commissions? Like I said I understand the niche as I do the provincial lottery stuff and do enjoy it.

The problem with my niche is that it is sports. Trying to come up with a competitive and profitable venture is tough. I like fantasy sports so I am considering trying that, but again that may be too broad as well. Perhaps I should focus on a particular team/sport?

Sorry to bump this!

I feel bad posting more questions about my choice of niche, but I can't seem to find a niche that would make me happy. I was just hoping for a little more advice if you don't mind.

I really like sports and one of the main reasons is the variety of topics. I like news, opinions, stats, collectibles, odds, fantasy, etc.

I narrowed it down the best I could and came down to two choices:
    1 - Sports Collectibles (cards, and autographs)
    2 - General Swimming info (drills, sets, etc).

The problem with #2 is that most drills are helped with the aid of pictures. I don't have as much access to get these pictures anymore. The issue with #1 is i'm not sure there is much interest although I could be wrong.

Long story short, I am once again thinking about a general sports blog outlining the areas above. Is it still possible to make some money doing this? Or am I really putting myself into a big hole to start off with? It just seems that I like all sports and am having a really tough time narrowing it down!

Thanks for any advice.

Did you find your niche yet?

I've found that sometimes your niche finds you. It's not always as efficient as deciding on your niche before hand but it sometimes works out better for you because it's a more natural decision. What I mean is you can't decide on what you will be an expert about so much as you already must be an expert at something in particular right now.

If you look at it this way than all you need to figure out is how you will profit from what you already know. I find I do not make for a good pretend expert. Perhaps other people here have a better ability to become experts in things but I just don't have that kind of luck.

I know what I know and am forced to find ways to make money from that knowledge. All of my endeavors somehow relate to what I already know. That doesn't mean I can not learn but I can't be an expert at will.

http and a telephoto
    It will be easier if you keep all your questions in one thread or the other. You have a lot of good information already.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Collectibles an Sports Collectibles is a pretty tough niche, just ask OJ.

But I would try a tool like I said above Wordtracker Free and look for 3 word keywords.

Sports Collectibles is 2 words. Football Sports Collectibles is 3..... But I have not really checked the difficulty. OK i just did and that is a possible keyword that you might be able to rank for.

Also googling keywords lets you look at the competition and how serious they are.

Additional swimming content can be found at fotolia.com, where you can buy photos on the cheap for your web site, and ehow.com , they might have some videos you could embed, you'd have to check.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread