Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Kindle me this...
    So I put a Kindle on my Amazon wish list this year!

Why? Because our books exceed our storage capacity, for one thing. Hubby's night stand is in danger of collapse and mine isn't much better. All the bookshelves in the house are filled to capacity.

My main concern about the Kindle is readability. My eyesight isn't too great, even with eyeglasses (I have very bad astigmatism) and I worry that the type size and contrast might not be good enough for me to read comfortably.

Okay, dogs want out, talk amongst yourselves, I'll be back!

Readability should be good - BUT it will never be the same as enjoying a good book - to hold, to turn the pages (to me, anyway). Sorry, but I'll never be a Kindle customer.

P.S. Our nightstands and bookcases are overflowing, too.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I don't have one myself, but I've seen other passengers using them on airplanes and they seem large enough (bigger than a paperback?) and readable. The contrast seems good, and I think you can make the font as big as you want.

My problems are:

1) I'm old fashioned and like to have printed copies of books (preferably hardcover). I have probably close to 1000, and have read most of them.
    2) I'm too cheap to pay $300 on top of the price of the books.
    3) You're tied into one source for the books. With no competition, they can do whatever they want with the prices. I often buy discounted or lightly used books after they've been out a while. Can't do that with Kindle.
    4) I really don't want to carry an extra device around with me. (But I don't have a problem carrying a book, that's probably larger and heavier?)

I have the free Kindle app on my iPhone, but haven't really used it. I have used Stanza some, which has a bunch of older books for free.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    I've got a sony ebook, and I adore it. I usually have three or four books going at once, and when I travel that can be a lot of weight and space. Having an ebook really allows me to bring a bunch of books with me wherever I go, so whenever I get a spare minute (during a commute, waiting for someone, etc), I always have something to read. The Sony is really small and compact, mostly because it doesn't have internet capability, which I haven't missed. And the tradeoff in size and weight was worth it for me.

I've noticed that at least with the Sony ebook store, books are less expensive than they are if you buy a hard copy. The downside is that now it's so easy for me to get a book, that I probably spend more than I used to.

The background is grayish and not white, light doesn't reflect off it as much and it seems like less strain on my eyes. Plus, you can absolutely adjust the font size and contrast.

Regardless, whichever one you get, I am sure you will like it

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    So I put a Kindle on my Amazon wish list this year!

Why? Because our books exceed our storage capacity, for one thing.
    Isn't that what garages are for?

I'm the type that needs pages to turn. Though, if everything goes digital, can we no longer describe a fascinating book as a "page turner"? Maybe a "screen scroller" instead? LOL.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Wait for the Apple offering (a bigger iphone type thing) ... it will kill the kindle and you'll do more than just read with it.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Affiliate Manager
    I have a kindle and love it. It is so easy to buy a book and they are usually a lot cheaper than paper. I used to wait until a book had been out a while before buying it because it would be cheaper but now I can get it cheaper on the Kindle. Now this tight wad can read current stuff!!

You can adjust the font size as well as the contrast which is a feature I like.

When you are on a plane, you have to turn it off until the pilot says "it is ok to use electronic devices". This sucks. It also has to be taken out of your bags when you go through security at the airport.

The only thing I don't like about the Kindle is you cannot share a book. The old Kindles had a removable memory. You could give a memory stick to someone else with a Kindle but the new Kindle doesn't have this.

The old Kindle also had a removable battery and the new Kindle does not. I can't wait to find out how much it is going to cost when the battery wears out. Probably won't be worth replacing.

Kindle also has internet. I have been known to check email using the Kindle when I did not have my computer with me. Shhhhhhh!!!

I don't like to keep books. Can't handle the clutter. Before the Kindle I would keep a bag that I tossed finished books into and then took them to a resale book store called "Half Price Books".

By no means have I given up on the printed version of books. I still have several of them that I never seem to be able to find time to read.

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    I haven't used the kindle but have seen a few people with them and they look amazing. My husband travels a lot and it's on his list. I'm thinking a bit like Haiko though - I saw a newsclip about something new that Apple was working on (no idea when its supposed to come out) but it's supposed to give the Kindle a run for their money. If you do go with the kindle, and you also have an iphone, you can read kindle books on an iphone with the free kindle app. I have bought a book or two that I really needed and didn't have at local store and couldn't get here by shipping quick enough. It was pretty cool but the iphone screen isn't quite as flexible as the kindle screen LOL. Good luck in your decision!

ABW Ambassador
    One can use iphone / ipod-touch for reading Kindle-Books. It is not that bad if you don't want an additional device or want something to be read in a commute. It may be inconvenient to make the current iPhone a primary reading device for books!

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Hey all! Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.

I'm going to wait to see what Apple cooks up. I had no idea they were in the kitchen with a project like this! Thanks Haiko!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I've been wanting a Kindle since they came out. My home is overrun with books, too. I'm an avid reader and can't resist buying hard cover for that future mansion with a library. :-) I also don't go to Costco anymore because walking past all those new hard cover books is a $300.00 expense I can't afford EVERY TIME I go there. LOL

Thanks for the head's up on the new Apple product, Haiko! I was going to ask for a Kindle for Christmas, too. Now I'll ask for cash instead.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    I've been wanting a Kindle since they came out. My home is overrun with books, too. I'm an avid reader and can't resist buying hard cover for that future mansion with a library. :-) I also don't go to Costco anymore because walking past all those new hard cover books is a $300.00 expense I can't afford EVERY TIME I go there. LOL
    I once worked at a bookstore when I was in college. I quit because I couldn't afford it anymore, even with the employee discount. LOL.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    I once worked at a bookstore when I was in college. I quit because I couldn't afford it anymore, even with the employee discount. LOL.
    GAWD - that would be a hopeless situation. LOL - Books or rent? BOOKS! ;-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    If you find out anything on the Apple one will you let us know. I cant' remember what station I saw the report on but they were interviewing Steve Jobs and he was commenting that the kindle did one thing--- and that we are a society that need our devices to do multiple things so i have a feeling it will be a "big iphone" of sorts that who knows -- maybe be almost like a tablet computer??? It can't be too far out if they're already out on tv talking about it. Maybe they're trying to partially let the cat out of the bag cause it will make it to stores just in time for Christmas??

It'll probably be announced at CES in January. Rumor is exactly what you describe - basically a big iPod Touch (over 10 inches) with the iPod OS.

It sounds cool, but seems a bit awkward to me. The iPhone / iPod Touch is the perfect size. It fits in a pocket. Something with a 10" diagonal would be inconvenient to carry around. And it wouldn't have the screen technology that the Kindle uses, so it would be a strain on the eye (and probably the battery) to use it as a book reader for extended periods of time.

FWIW, the Kindle is too big to fit in a pocket as well.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

barnes & noble has a color e-reader and lg has a solar powered one due out. it will be interesting to see if old fashioned books still exist in 10 years.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread