Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Desperate situation...
    We have high volume, high sales websites, never an affiliate program. A telemarketing company approached us to sell one of our products in a national television and radio campaign - wanting a big percentage. We agreed. The only issue it was VERY short notice and of course affiliate software needed on one website built for that product.

We have turned down literally thousands of requests of people wishing to be affiliate sellers because we had no clue how to do it. But we figured this one worth it.

It has become a full crisis. The geek who was to put on the affiliate software bombed - and the deadline is TOMORROW. We need to provide for exactly ONE affiliate by noon tomorrow. Can't get it done.

I purchased two affiliate programs over the weekend. Neither will even download. idevdirect and Pro Affiliate. There is exactly no means to communicate with either company. idevdirect will not even provide an email address, let alone phone number or live chat.

DOES ANYONE know of a SUPER SIMPLE affiliate software program? The website has exactly 6 items and we only need it for one affiliate. Just Paypal buttons to start with.

Later we'll add the other websites and if we offer affiliate programs we'll have thousands. We already have over 1,000 wholesale accounts with Internet retailers.

There are no IT guys within 150 miles of here.

ANYONE HAVE A CLUE how we can not bomb on the national media campaign? That will be a massive disaster.

Any help appreciated greatly...

ABW Ambassador
    Calm down. Its out of your hand now. Hire the right people, get the right s/w, test (yes testing is required, no matter how good the s/w is). Set a new realistic target date and work on it.

Are you sending the traffic to a specific landing page? Maybe you can use Google Analytics? Not a perfect solution by any means, but you have a very short timeframe here.....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Have you considered a network like ShareASale.com? Integration is much simpler. You just add a tracking pixel to your sale confirmation page. They could probably walk you through it. I would recommend giving them a call first thing tomorrow morning.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Sam, if the commercials go live tomorrow, not sure they can push that out....
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Dude. There are alot of Great OPM's here checkem out. Andy Rodriguez has offered free consultation. Might be worth asking.

Have you considered Shareasale?

In regards to idev...My experience in the past was its more convenient to have them host it for you.

Good Luck, and an OPM sounds like the way you need to go atleast to start out with.

Should also read this thread. http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=209

J. Duffield Affiliate Manager at Snow Consulting
    Let's Connect-PassTheSEO|#GSEG|Twitter|LinkedIn|Blog "Knowledge is Power."

Michael has a good solution there if you plan on growing the program down the road. A network will layer another x% onto what you are paying though, but, you are also working with a tight time budget, so that percentage is well worth it if Shareasale can have you up and running in time.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Commericals go live on Wednesday.
    Thanks for comments and advice!
    More?
    Why is affiliate software so problematical? What's the catch?

Most use networks. Honestly they do the grunt work for you. Getting setup with in house or Network both take time and patience. Thats why its nice to get advice from OPM's and ABW with that process. Programs that are not complete on launch are discouraging to top affiliates so make sure your covering your bases no matter what direction you go.
    J. Duffield Affiliate Manager at Snow Consulting
    Let's Connect-PassTheSEO|#GSEG|Twitter|LinkedIn|Blog "Knowledge is Power."

It would seem if someone actually offered affiliate software that it didn't take being an IT tech to put on a website is would have massive sales. Instead what I have been doing is spending literally thousands buying software that won't even download from companies that apparently don't even exist.

Just my thoughts.

Since we only need to cover 1 affiliate, the easiest seems to just set up an account just for that affiliate and give them access to statements from it as literally every sale would be their sale - ie make it a banking and shopping cart solution rather than an affiliate issue. Blowing off a few million dollars of free advertising for our product (that we now have in inventory) isn't an option.

Quote Originally Posted by PDXreader
    Most use networks. Honestly they do the grunt work for you. Getting setup with in house or Network both take time and patience. Thats why its nice to get advice from OPM's and ABW with that process. Programs that are not complete on launch are discouraging to top affiliates so make sure your covering your bases no matter what direction you go.
    "Disappointing" an understatement!

This is a major campaign. Extreme short notice. They attempted to postpone a week but the ads are already on network scheduling so its do or die time.

What does shareasale.com take? What percentage?

(never mind. I looked. 20%. Forget that.)

Off the top of my head, I don't recall. But it's a percentage of the affiliate commission as opposed to the revenue, so if the SAS website says 20% that means it's 20% of x% you are paying the advertising firm.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    email me at jimmy at startremodeling.com amd I'll show you one of my merchants that has an in-house program that I can't believe that everyone doesn't follow.

Coolest in house affiliate program I have ever seen and it seems to work seamlessly.

Have had them for over 8 years and never had a problem.

IMHO!

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    Off the top of my head, I don't recall. But it's a percentage of the affiliate commission as opposed to the revenue, so if the SAS website says 20% that means it's 20% of x% you are paying the advertising firm.
    Yes, that's correct, Kevin. So, for every dollar an affiliate makes, a merchant would pay ShareASale 20 cents.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Anyone heard of OSI Affiliate? They claim they'll have you up in a day.
    Legit? Heard of them?

dfwx, hope this will help: shoemoney.com/2009/06/04/running-my-own-affiliate-network-a-month-later
    Last edited by loxly; October 12th, 2009 at 09:17 PM. Reason: don't re-edit over a mods edits. (originally edited by Haiko to remove hotlink, I edited out additional questions from poster))

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I hope you get things worked out. At the same time, this is a good lesson to make sure your all up and running before entering into such an agreement. Good luck to you.

This has gone from bad to worse.

The affiliate went on the air as scheduled and BAM! orders pouring in for that single product when combined with our blasting the top of the pages with sponsored searches. We instantly ordered a mass quantity of stock to make the product.

But still no working affiliate software despite assurances the company selling it would do it themselves and quickly.

The Pro-Affiliate software from the Eastern European company, however, did turn out to be full scam. No software download. No responses. Even refusing to respond to Paypal (how we paid) to a chargeback filing on their "3o day money back guarentee). However this other company said they'd get it done.
    Day after day after day. Enless issues on a 1 page website with 6 products total. They have all logon info to the page, to the host, and for uploading.

The affiliate, who is pouring money into radio and TV spots is going ape. Not a dollar showing on what they were sent by the software company as their login info - so have given an ultimatum - get the software on the site or on Monday they go with a competitor.

This is a disaster give we have inventory coming en-mass. So, for this attempt at an affiliate program, it looks instead like this weekend we have to plan a major eco-war online against a partner turn adversary on radio and television.

The company we service is massive with online sales only a small portion of their business related to the Internet or consumers. The affiliate also is massive in scope. We market for our company and produce many of their consumer products, including health, beauty and dietary products as an FDA registered facility.

Our end of the business had doubled in volume sales about every 2 months since it started, but the company pours massive amounts of money into advertising for purposes other than profit. Curiously, our end (Internet sales) functions mostly by warring against the hottest affiliate products in the areas of health and beauty products. Because there is no MLM markup, because we are the manufacturer and because we buy inventory in massive bulk directly from where-ever and whatever country it comes from, we can sell the products to 1/2 the price while still allowing buying the top of any page we want to be on and often the top 3-5 spots obliterating the affiliate seller websites as it is a conglomerate of multiple manufacturing companies.

We always refused requests to have affiliates and in retrospect that was the correct decision. Candidly, I do not believe it inadvertant this software so virtually impossible to install. Most of what is sold is also sold as affiliate sales software of people all selling basically the same software under different names for which none of them know how or if the software works.

Since I am coming to believe the affiliate software will never be made to work, this weekend a huge company meeting has been called. Instead of being partners, it looks like we're going to WWIII against the largest health and beautiful affiliate MLM outfit in the country. Ulta-wealthy over-the-counter and alternative health products manufacturers versus ultra-wealthy MLM conglomerate.

So far, my side has never lost a battle because they don't do this for profit. They do it for revenge - and for fun it seems. They find the hottest selling affiliate health and beauty products, instruct us to manufacture it, and then buy the top spots (all of them) offering the products for 50 cents on the dollar of what other affiliates of other companies can sell it for. All requests to sell our products on affiliate programs refused. Ultimately, they destroy the market turning it into a Wal-Mart priced product. The goal isn't just for profit, it is to shatter the other company (or individual) totally.

Somehow I got into the middle of this. Not for 1 second did I suspect that affiliate software was any more difficult or easy than any other. My bad as I'm the one who convinced the company to break from their no-affiliates policy. I now think such software sales are generally just a scam attempting to shove people into giving a rediculous percentage of each sale to obtain working affiliate software - a bait and switch thing.

To keep my job from going on the line, I'm stepping back out of this picture. The big dogs are going to fight it out. I guess that puts me into the role of adversary to some on this forum. The people of my company are serious. I've seen them paying over $5 each on as many as 5 websites each to take all top 5 spots with no possibility of a profit to totally capture a product line and in doing so ultimately crash the price permanently and shatter the company that made it. Sometimes in the alternative they so trash the effectiveness or legitimacy of a product line centered affiliate campaigns they kill interest in the product.

Its an effective tactic they use it seems. They allow MLM marketeers to build the market and interest via their hundreds or thousands of affliates. When they have it going, my company moves in, kills the affiliate sales capturing the market, making whatever profit remains in it, and then killing the market itself to damage the competition permanently for the future while moving on. Usually their websites openly and intensely attack MLM products - even often in name and explaining the massive markup in relation to the actual cost to make the product.

It should be no surprise that it is rare there is such a thing as a health, dietary or beauty product that costs even a dollar to manufacture to the company making it if they operate on a high volume automated scale purchasing ingredients by the pallet, truck and shipload. (There is literally a ship coming from China exclusively carrying product components for us to use at the manufaturing facility for just one product.)

Shoppers seem less like to buy an MLM product for $20, $30, $60 after 3 websites at the top of the page pointed out the ingredients cost less than 10 cent - and offer a product that is legitimately different or offers the same product with 1,000 times the concentration from an FDA facility at one-half the price.

I was starting to feel a little guilty about my part in this as it is big people crushing little people over and over with the raw power of money. But I don't feel so bad about it now. The top of the MLM and affiliate companies are also big dogs who have little affiliates making crums while they make billions. It appears those selling affiliate software are either just scamsters or bait-and-switchers. Maybe its time for the billionaires to slug it our - manufacturers versus MLMers.

I am convinced if anyone actually built a rational and user friendly affiliate software and copyrighted it they'd make a fortune. This has been a frustrating but interesting experience. I'll know which way it goes come Monday. That is the deadline both the affiliate and my company have set for either alliance or war.

It has become humorous in some ways.
    Last edited by dfwx; October 16th, 2009 at 11:01 AM.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dfwx
    This has gone from bad to worse.

I am convinced if anyone actually built a rational and user friendly affiliate software and copyrighted it they'd make a fortune. This has been a frustrating but interesting experience. I'll know which way it goes come Monday. That is the deadline both the affiliate and my company have set for either alliance or war.

It has become humorous in some ways.

I told you to email me.

I'll show you custom fit affiliate software on another site that will blow your mind.

Just can't throw the link out here.

You'll have to do the legwork to find out how to implement it on your website(s), but it's very cool for an on-site aff. program.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

If this deal is for a single product, why not set up a separate stock item # in your shopping cart and just pay commissions on all orders for that item?
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy
    I told you to email me.

I'll show you custom fit affiliate software on another site that will blow your mind.

Just can't throw the link out here.

You'll have to do the legwork to find out how to implement it on your website(s), but it's very cool for an on-site aff. program.
    I'm at dfwx@hotmail.com.
    Until Monday we're still game.

Quote Originally Posted by davidh
    If this deal is for a single product, why not set up a separate stock item # in your shopping cart and just pay commissions on all orders for that item?
    Because we won't give them access to our account. We certainly will pay them their commission and are keeping seperate files on every invoice from the sale for that reason. But they would have to take our word we included them all. However, we are not willing to open up our books on all sales. I don't think any company would do that.

We ARE considering attempting to last-minute opening a second bank account with CC charges for those sales all and only go to that account - then give the access to bank account statements. They could confirm the cart buttons all pay that account. We're doing exactly that, but the clock is running out and the weekend is so here.

Any chance you could convince the other party to take the orders and payments themselves, and just forward the orders and discounted portion of payment to you? That would give them 100% confidence that they're getting paid for every unit.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

If there is a way to distinguish their sales from your total sales in the database, just slap together a quick password protected page with a query that pulls just those sales from the database. They get the transparency they want and you don't have to show them all your sales. I hope it turns out to be that easy for you because this seems to have turned in to a nightmare.

Did you contact ShareASale to see if they could help implement something?
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast