Collaborative Project Management Tools?
    I'm looking into web-based collaborative project management tools, with several goals:
    • to use for my personal "project and task management," including basic functionality like to-do lists but also for multi-stage projects including tracking of time and resource requirements, goals, milestones, etc. (access would be limited to myself and my wife)
    • to probably use for future consulting projects (where I'd want to grant clients some level of access), and
    • to hopefully use if I re-launch my "datafeed project" (which would probably involve more than 10 participants).

I expect that I'll start with a "free" version and soon upgrade to a paid version. I found a list of "free" web-based project management tools at (which probably includes some affiliate links; most tools listed there are "free" for a limited number of users and projects, with limited storage). Starting with that information, I've started thinking about the elements that I think I'd like/desire/prefer/require. (A client recently used BaseCamp for a project I worked on; it seemed somewhat limited but I didn't explore it much.)

One element I think might be useful: the ability to allow "guest" or public access to view certain aspects of the project information (and perhaps add posts), while restricting access to other content.

However, I thought it would make sense to ask here: who has used any type of project management tool, and what experiences can you share? I'd especially like to hear if you've enountered problems or limitations that you hadn't expected.

There is a great open source project management software based on drupal, I really like it. It is Open Atrium ( Easy, easy installation and with "organic groups" that you can grant people fine grained access to different "groups".

I am primarily interested in a "hosted solution," not something I'd need to install, configure, and maintain (I already have enough "projects" on my plate).
    Last edited by markwelch; October 13th, 2009 at 12:43 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    Nunya, Business
    Haven't used anything like that myself but Google Wave has been getting some buzz -

"Google Wave is an online tool for real-time communication and collaboration."

Not sure if you're looking for something like that.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread