Affiliate Manager
    One affiliate program for multiple retailer sites?
    Hi everyone. I'm looking at starting an affiliate program for the company I work for, and I wanted to get thoughts and advice on the way we're thinking about setting it up.

We are a vitamin supplement company that offers a very wide variety of products. We've built a lot of microsites that focus on one specific product, but we also have a "mega site" that offers all of our products. We're looking at starting the affiliate program, and want to know if we should focus it around one of the mega sites or if we should create an affiliate program that encompasses all of the microsites.

My initial thoughts are to use the mega site as the focus of the affiliate program, but other people here are interested in integrating at least 10 of our micro sites into the program instead. Bottom line, we want to offer all of our products to all of our affiliates, but we're not sure which way to go at this point. Any thoughts, advice or additional questions would be greatly appreciated.

There are a number of companies that offer affiliate programs which promote multiple "stores."

The examples that immediately come to mind are CSNstores.com and ShoppingWarehouse.net (both on ShareASale), and HayNeedle.com (formerly NetShops, ick).

I would expect that in the nutritional supplement space, you'd want to have some micro-sites that are available for affiliate promotion, as well as some micro-sites which might be dedicated to a single objective (e.g. as the landing page for offline media campaigns, or perhaps dedicated to a single affiliate). (None of your "affiliate-promotable" sites should contain ANY links to any other sites for which affiliates don't earn commissions.)

http and a telephoto
    If they all go to the same shopping cart, you can have it all be part of your affiliate tracking. Give affiliates the choice of what *they* want to promote.

You aren't limited to tracking on just one domain. I manage programs that have multiple domain tracking on Shareasale.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks for the informative answers - this is exactly what I was looking for. We're considering Shareasale. Most of the sites are on the same shopping cart, but there are maybe two or three we'd like to include that are on a different cart.

Do they have to be on the same shopping cart with Shareasale? I'm sure we can switch them over (and we're probably going to), but I'm just curious if this is one of their requirements.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Byagi
    Thanks for the informative answers - this is exactly what I was looking for. We're considering Shareasale. Most of the sites are on the same shopping cart, but there are maybe two or three we'd like to include that are on a different cart.

Do they have to be on the same shopping cart with Shareasale? I'm sure we can switch them over (and we're probably going to), but I'm just curious if this is one of their requirements.
    No, you just need to add the appropriate code to whatever cart you are using on what ever domains you have them on.
    Deborah Carney

Lightbulb
    I agree with what has been said and want to add that while options are important, choose the options you offer wisely.

I would say having 10 or more landing pages (or domains) to choose from can really dilute your affiliate's traffic (and efforts) between a lot of sites or URL's.

I would suggest running a controlled study of all your sites/landing pages and picking the top converting 2-4 to offer to your affiliates.

Put the traffic where the sale is.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostSilver
    I agree with what has been said and want to add that while options are important, choose the options you offer wisely.

I would say having 10 or more landing pages (or domains) to choose from can really dilute your affiliate's traffic (and efforts) between a lot of sites or URL's.

I would suggest running a controlled study of all your sites/landing pages and picking the top converting 2-4 to offer to your affiliates.

Put the traffic where the sale is.
    This is partially correct. If you have one site with all your products, that might be great for a large number of affiliate, but with more concentrating on niches, you want to have those microsites available to them. Especially if you are promoting products that some affiliates don't want to send traffic too, but others are just fine.

We aren't talking about splitting your SEO or seach links, we are talking about possibly giving affiliates what they need to make *more* sales.
    Deborah Carney

Affiliate Manager
    We're definitely going to be selective with the sites we offer through the affiliate program, and we're going out of our way to ensure there are no leaks.

It's looking like we are going to set up on Shareasale, but someone noticed that our shopping cart offers an affiliate module. Now, they're considering setting up some of the sites (the ones that are using that shopping cart) through the affiliate module and some of them through Shareasale.

I don't think this is a good idea, and I've told them that, but I don't have many concrete reasons why to back it up. Wouldn't it be better to have everything on Shareasale as we're starting? It just seems simpler and more streamlined.

It is defiantly NOT a good idea, in fact its a really bad idea...

Two biggest reasons that pop to mind are:

1. You will have two completely separate systems to manage as an affiliate manager.

2. Your affiliates will have to register with at least two different systems to offer all your products.

I'm sure others will chime in with the myriad of other reasons...

Affiliate Manager
    Good reasons, thanks -

The sites that would be on the affiliate module would be our "mega sites"...the sites that offer all of our products. The niche or microsites would be up on shareasale.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread