Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    My magicJack Experience
    I had watched a few YouTube videos on people trying out/reviewing MagicJack last week. When I was at Walmart last night, I saw magicJack at the checkout counter along with the other "as seen on TV" products and decided to give it a try. I figured it was worth a shot at $39. If it was total crap, then not much harm done at that price.

I plugged my phone into the MJ adapter, and then plugged the MJ adapter into the USB port of my laptop. It then automatically installed the software. After registering the product, mainly for 911 purposes, I was all ready to go. From start to finish, it took about 5 minutes.

I have made about 4 calls and received 3 calls from various friends and family members and honestly the sound/line quality is as good as my landline phone so far. I currently have VoIP service with at&t strictly for business calls since I work from home. I plan to cancel that service and strictly use MJ as a replacement.

My at&t VoIP plan is $36 per month with tax. In a years time, I have been spending $432 ($36 x 12). With MJ, it will cost $39 for the first year and probably $20 per year after the first year.

I am surprisingly pleased with the service so far. The price is unbeatable. Hopefully, the quality continues.
    Last edited by Uncle Rico; October 15th, 2009 at 07:38 AM.

I've been looking at this for awhile but have. Questions - may I pick your brain a bit?
    What happens to incoming phone calls when you have the computer switched off?
    Did you have to get a new number or does manic Jack accept your current number?
    Can you install this on two computers (the software, I mean) using the same phone number and just move the Jack back and forth?

1. Calls will go straight to you voicemail.

2. I had to pick a new number. Don't think you can transfer your current number.

3. Yes.

Thank you for the info and the quick reply. After install - all calls are free? Incoming, outgoing, domestic, international? Voicemail comes with it or can you (should you) use google voice mail?

Free Local
    Free Long Distance to US and Canada
    Free Voicemail
    Free Directory Assistance
    Free Phone Number

You will need to purchase minutes for international calling. For example, you can call to China for $0.02 per minute.

Thanks again. With all the initial bad reports when this was released, I stayed away. I will revisit now.

My wife had pushed me last year to try magicJack and I told her it looked like a real hokey setup and wasn't interested. Given the line quality I have, I am more than happy to save $400 per year. An added bonus is that I can take MJ with me when I travel.

Thanks for sharing that Seymour. I'm always looking for ways to trim costs that work, and I probably wouldn't have considered MJ without your testimonial.

I just discovered where your avatar came from and got a big laugh seeing the More Cowbell videos on YouTube. I had always thought that was your picture.

Welcome John.

The "more cowbell" skit on SNL is one of my all time favorites.

I've never understood (haven't really tried) "the technology" behind this.

Is it VOIP/packeting? If not, what the heck is the technology behind MagicJack? At one point the advertisements appeared to suggest that calls were made over the electric wires . . but since I tend to see these ads in the late night, sleep deprived hours, it might be my mind playing tricks on me.

Or maybe it's the power of suggestion . . . You know . . MAGICjack . .

How's it work SB? Thanks.
    I'll get the hang of it eventually. :0)

It's definately a VoIP communication method.

I've been seeing tons of ads for MagicJack now at $19.99

Why not use Google Voice? Completely free, including long distance..

Or, for $1.95/month you can use Skype Out, and not have to have your computer turned on..

I've seen the MagicJack stuff and thought about it, as well as other VOIP phone solutions. Unfortunately, I cannot get "naked DSL" and getting cable broadband for Internet is simply too expensive for me.

Hence, to use MagicJack, I think I would have to continue paying for my ATT landline service, plus my continued ATT DSL -- or I wouldn't be able to use the MagicJack, right?

So in my case, I can't figure out a way to save money on the deal.

I would love to get rid of the expense of my landline and go with VOIP of some sort.
    Generate more fake news.

I thought you could get at&t DSL without having to get their local phone service.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    I thought you could get at&t DSL without having to get their local phone service.
    You may be able to in some states, but MO isn't one of them. At least that was true when I checked a month or two ago.
    Generate more fake news.

Or, for $1.95/month you can use Skype Out, and not have to have your computer turned on..
    I don't think either of these two items are correct. I'm a subscriber and it's right at $2.95/month and you do need your computer on to use it. It will take a voice mail when the PC is off but that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    I don't think either of these two items are correct. I'm a subscriber and it's right at $2.95/month and you do need your computer on to use it. It will take a voice mail when the PC is off but that's all.
    It's actually 1.95 which is probably roughly $2.50 or $3.00 a month. I used the service for about 6 months. They have access numbers you can dial from a regular phone and then make the long distance call. I live in the middle of nowhere and had a local access number..

Monthly subscription rates

Once you buy some Skype credit, or get a monthly subscription, log into your account and go to Skype To Go number, and you can set up your local access number..

CA is also not one of those states. They are very clear that you have to have a landline in order to get DSL service. Probably the only way they can sell landlines these days. Also shooting them in the foot though, as that's part of why we switched to cable. Figured we'd rather pay for basic cable TV which we'll use occasionally as opposed to a landline, which we would almost never use.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    You may be able to in some states, but MO isn't one of them. At least that was true when I checked a month or two ago.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    I checked out DSL the other day due to Comcrap having been down. Here in MI, you "can" get AT&T DSL without a landline, BUT...

They charge another $10/mo for DSL without at least a basic landline. Cost of the cheapest super-basic landline? $10/mo! They will also charge to buy the modem ($69) if you don't have the landline. With the landline, it's included at no extra cost.

So here, you "can" do it without a landline...but if you do, you lose money.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Since my OP, I have made at least 15 more calls and the sound quality is still great.

Seymour, hope you are putting this testimonial is some kinda blog and slapping your links on it.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    I've got some Magic Jack moments that I can't share here -

JK

I bought one MJ subscription about a year ago.

Hated the roller coaster bill I got from AT&T.

After about 3 months, got one for my daughter's line.

2 months later, hooked one up in my grand daughters room.

No real complaints.

Every now and then, it shuts off in the middle of a call.

You can't hear them or they can't hear you....

Then I tell myself it's $19.95 a year and I'm good.

Best investment I've made lately....

Very Happy.

BTW! If your computer is off and you get a call, it still emails you with the voice-mails.

Covered ~

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread