WTF?

My allposters.com affiliate site went from sending 1, 2 uniques a day to yesterday when I sent them 1,703 uniques (out of a total of 1,705).

Not a single sale.

My log shows thousands of hits from Ask Jeeves/Teoma as a browser (not a referrer).

Does that mean it's people finding my site through Ask - and it's not their spider?

If I really sent that many hits to the merchant I would have expected a couple of sales.

Baffled.

ABW Ambassador
    Were these 1703 hits actually traffic sent to
    Allposters, and showing in your stats at
    Allposters, or was it just traffic showing in
    your website logs. The Ask Jeeves spider goes
    crazy sometimes, I've had them hitting my site
    around 50,000 times a day back in February, but
    they send very little traffic. I haven't had
    much luck with my Allposters store, but I
    haven't had much traffic to it yet, I can't
    imagine sending 1700 visitors to Allposters and
    not getting one sale.

It was the Allposters report that alerted me to it.

I find it odd that the total number is only 2 more than the number of uniques.

Maybe Allposters' reporting is screwed.

It makes more sense that my web logs are showing the Teoma spider.

I've seen this kind of stuff happen before, and for the lack of a better term, I use 'phantom clicks'.

It's basically traffic that isn't screened out at the destination as search engine traffic. It happens to us every now and then with CJ, but they're pretty good about catching stuff like this. If it bothers you, send over an email with the IP numbers of Teoma and may be they'll listen. Most don't, so we don't worry about it.

CodeJockey.

LOL for one brief moment I thought I was finally getting some traffic.

Do you mean the Teoma spider will follow my links and hit the merchant, but normally it should get screened out of their reporting?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> but normally it should get screened out of their reporting? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would suggest that most of the bigger sites screen out the search engine IP numbers... I know for sure that CJ does it, and for merchants it would make sense for them to do it because it really isn't a warm body on the other end of the click, is it? If you're passing out (insert number here) page views a day, and 80% of the page views are given to spiders, then what is your 'Real Traffic' ?

In my experience, some spiders seem to trigger off the click for some reason or another, which makes some sense because they are actually following the link on your page to the merchant. It's still null traffic though, but if the merchant has a system that counts the click/page view before it realizes that it's a spider, then you get hit counts like what you've seen.

It's still not worth worrying about though. Enough to know that it's happening.

CodeJockey.

Thanks CodeJockey.

I've had confirmation from Allposters that they don't screen out search engine IPs.

It does worry me, though - it makes a mockery of reporting. If I don't know how many visitors I'm sending them I'm working blind. I wouldn't have thought it was that difficult to screen out spiders by IP address from the reports.

Does anyone have any feedback on conversion rates from Allposters? I was a bit suspicious already at sending them quite a lot of clicks and only making a few dollars, whereas Art.com paid me some nice commissions on fewer click throughs.

It strikes me that not filtering out spiders might be a convenient excuse for merchants when challenged on high click throughs and few conversions.

Not saying that's what's happening here, but it makes you wonder.

ABW Ambassador
    Allposters is totally above board. They never accepted parasites when Art.com was fully loaded, they've never dropped their commission by half like art.com (then returned when they realised how many people bailed... like, what, a year later). I get paid every month on time and they have always been upfront about everything.

Posters have lots of people clicking thru to look at the lovely pictures - it's just the nature of the deal. You may have had a few lucky sales with art.com or they may have improved... all I know is I did well with them to start with only for sales to stop completely. That was just before they went to Linkshare and halved their commission. They also had every parasite on earth in their program - sorry, but I hold grudges!

If you normally only get 2 clicks to allposters then I wouldn't call it working blind... I'd call it giving them not enough exposure.. or the wrong type!

OK SamyT I am happy to believe allposters are above board.

I have actually sent them quite a few clicks in the past.

But it is working blind if you don't know if reported clicks are genuine visitors or spiders.

I'm with art.com's in-house program, by the way. Always prefer indies to networks if there's a choice.

ABW Ambassador
    er.... Allposters has always been in-house!

I'm telling you, having super-inflated clicks rarely happens. I'm betting I hate a looooot more poster pages than you do and I see the same thing, but very rarely. Settle petal! I've even seen this happen at Amazon.

ABW Ambassador
    Something maybe up with all posters, I have not promoted them since they started spamming their affiliate offers a few years back. Yet I just got an email saying someone signed up under me. Bizarre. Whoever you are, sell sell sell.

Chet

LOL it was probably the Teoma spider, Chet...

ABW Ambassador
    Spamming what affiliate offers? It wasn't an affiliate looking for subs was it? The only constant emails I've had are from art.com offering me all sorts to come back.

http and a telephoto
    SamyT, it was AllPosters sending email to *current* affiliates asking them to *sign up*. I sent them repeated emails telling them to please take my name of the list, I was already an affiliate. Not only that, the spam was coming from my own affiliate contact!!!! After several months it stopped. At the time I was converting very well with them. Then when they changed their system last fall, my conversions dropped and haven't recovered. They are still getting traffic from me, but they aren't converting.

Oh Well.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Very strange because my sales are up, not down. Most of my links continue to be made in the old format though.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread