tracking clickthroughs on SAS?
    I have looked and looked, and it appears there is no way to do this. I can't find any means of getting a report on clickthroughs -- just sales, which is obviously FAR more limited in terms of telling what ads people might be clicking on, etc.

Am I missing something? Please let me know if clickthroughs are accessible somewhere at SAS. It's hard to know if my attempts at adding a tracking code are working without being able to view any clicks.

Support Center » Knowledgebase » Using Affiliate Defined Tracking

Using Affiliate Defined Tracking

You can use the afftrack= portion of your link code to include affiliate defined tracking strings. Enter your tracking variable immediately after the afftrack= portion of your link code. This tracking variable will be echoed back to you in the Activity Details Report (http://www.shareasale.com/a-accountactivity.cfm). The tracking string must be alphanumeric, and can not contain any spaces or special characters. There is a 255 character limit. If you are using the "Shortest Code Available", email Links or Product Links, you may need to add the afftrack= wording to your link code.
    A sample link would look like this:

http://www.shareasale.com/r.cfm?B=70&U=XXXX&M=47

Where the XXXX is replaced with your Affiliate ID number.

You can add the afftrack= parameter to this code along with your tracking string. The tracking string must be alphanumeric, and can not contain any spaces or special characters. If your tracking string is "123ABC", then your new link would look like this:

http://www.shareasale.com/r.cfm?B=70&U=XXXX&M=47&afftrack=123ABC

The afftrack= parameter may already be in your link - be sure to use the existing one and not to add an additional one.

Keywords: sub ID, subid, afftrack
    -rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Hi Matt, this is kind of funny, this is the second time someone has tried to show me how to use afftrack. I know how to use afftrack, my question is:

How can I get a REPORT of the clickthroughs generated through my site, preferably with afftrack values associated with those clicks. Is it possible to get a report of such information through shareasale, or, are clickthroughs simply not available to the affiliate in the shareasale interface.

I hope this clear, if not let me know.

You'll have to be more specific, I'm not sure what information you're trying to get. SaS registers every click from your site, the Day at a Glance Report shows unique clicks by default, select Show Raw clicks instead to show all clicks. If that's not what you're looking for you'll have to spell it out a little more, sometimes I'm a little thick.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Wow, my heart soared when you mentioned raw clicks, but unfortunately that didn't turn up any click information.

I'm beginning to wonder if my screen is just different from anyone else's, somehow. You would expect "raw clicks" to show exactly what I'm looking for, but in reality it shows nothing useful. In fact, it shows the same not-useful screen as "clicks by IP."

Maybe this is just something weird about my account, and not other SAS accounts. What do you think of these screenshots, should they be showing actual clickthrough information? Thanks again for your help. I have screenshots below showing "raw clicks" and "clicks by IP" (same thing, in this case).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Under the "Tools" column in the SAS interface select "Setup Referer Trace." Read the info there and see if that is close to what you are seeking.

"This report will show you each individual click that you receive over a 24 hour period, including which page the click came from as long as..."
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

The "clicks" are in the column that says "Unique Hits" or "Raw Hits".
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Under the "Tools" column in the SAS interface select "Setup Referer Trace." Read the info there and see if that is close to what you are seeking.

"This report will show you each individual click that you receive over a 24 hour period, including which page the click came from as long as..."
    Wow, I wonder if someone from SAS can confirm this? The only way to get click tracking information at SAS is to pay a $1 for each 24 hour period and you can only do it 5 times a month? Really? I mean, good find on this, but really?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    The "clicks" are in the column that says "Unique Hits" or "Raw Hits".
    Thanks, but please see my screen shots, there is no clickthrough information there.

Quote Originally Posted by blakekri
    Wow, I wonder if someone from SAS can confirm this? The only way to get click tracking information at SAS is to pay a $1 for each 24 hour period and you can only do it 5 times a month? Really? I mean, good find on this, but really?
    Yep, pick what you anticipate to be a busy day and order one up. Invest the buck to see if it is what you need. It may not work for everything, but it may give you some of what you want - and you may nor actually "need" it every day. Good luck.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think they have the reports you're looking for. I've asked about this years ago. Actually something else - http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ight=reporting

The reporting could be better.

The reporting could be better.
    Agreed!

Isn't there a help us improve SAS thread?

You're going to have to run an analytics program yourself, which is probably recommended anyway for other helpful stats. Some use Google Analytics but I recommend (& use) Piwik, an open source analytics program.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd
    You're going to have to run an analytics program yourself, which is probably recommended anyway for other helpful stats. Some use Google Analytics but I recommend (& use) Piwik, an open source analytics program.

If SAS doesn't give me clickthrough information, I unfortunately can't run analytics on it. I use google analytics but of course, as an affiliate, that can only track the activity that occurs on my site, not the merchant's. Click throughs and sales with afftrack values attached are my only way of getting a hint as to how traffic is proceeding through the merchant site, and even then that is not something I could run through GA unless the merchant were to actually place my GA tracking code on their checkout screen.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I don't see a report using afftrack and clicks.

You could track affiliate clicks on your site(s) by having a script enter the info in a mysql table when someone clicks on a link, but you'll cloak your links to do so.

Come on guys, if you cannot offer free subid tracking i cannot use your network. If you are participating as a third party between merchants and affiliates, you just must offer free subid tracking.

Just still cannot believe that. Clickbank offers free subid tracking, CPA networks offer that, why you can't provide free subid tracking? What's the purpose of affiliate network then?

Totally disappointed.

I don't mind paying for the service, but don't want to have to go in and set it up on a 24 hour basis. I'd be happy to pay SAS $25 per year for 24/7/52 coverage, and wish that was an option (keep the $1/24hr for those who prefer that). Multiply that $25 out by all the other people that would be willing to pay-to-play, and in all likelihood it would cover the additional cost for the software/data storage/bandwidth.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread